Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculating on what comes next. Never seen Elon ever capitulate. He always keeps pushing more chips in.

It would be interesting to see some reporting about what is going on behind the scenes as far as major investors and directors. If he was pressured to step down, then maybe Elon will emerge more focused…like Jobs after the Sculley fiasco.

He's capitulated before. Too many robots on the Model 3 line comes to mind immediately.

I might add that in the technological realm his intuition is waaaaay more accurate than in the social one.
You can tweak and tinker all you want in hardware, and even in software: the universe is giving you feedback, if it works it works.
Things don't have feelings or memories, so you can stress them until they work.

Not so much with real people... They do have feelings and biases and they remember. Feedback is way more chaotic.
All of what you say is true but the problem seems deeper and more fundamental. Elon is acting crazy and erratic at Twitter in a way I had never (indirectly) seen or heard of at Tesla or SpaceX. It doesn't take a genius or brilliant intuition to know that politicizing Twitter, alienating half the population (maybe more), claiming to "own the libs" (even in jest), promoting fringe alt-right conspiracy theories, etc, etc etc would drive away users and advertisers. It just takes someone who's not bat-sh!t crazy and who has a decent grasp of reality.

The most charitable and hopeful explanation was given by someone who claims to have been an intern at SpaceX:

I was an intern at SpaceX years ago, back it when it was a much smaller company — after Elon got hair plugs, but before his cult of personality was in full swing. I have some insight to offer here.
Back when I was at SpaceX, Elon was basically a child king. He was an important figurehead who provided the company with the money, power, and PR, but he didn’t have the knowledge or (frankly) maturity to handle day-to-day decision making and everyone knew that. He was surrounded by people whose job was, essentially, to manipulate him into making good decisions.
Managing Elon was a huge part of the company culture. Even I, as a lowly intern, would hear people talking about it openly in meetings. People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him, they knew how to creatively reinterpret (or ignore) his many insane demands, and they even knew how to “stage manage” parts of the physical office space so that it would appeal to Elon.
The funniest example of “stage management” I can remember is this dude on the IT security team. He had a script running in a terminal on one of his monitors that would output random garbage, Matrix-style, so that it always looked like he was doing Important Computer Things to anyone who walked by his desk. Second funniest was all the people I saw playing WoW at their desks after ~5pm, who did it in the office just to give the appearance that they were working late.
People were willing to do that at SpaceX because Elon was giving them the money (and hype) to get into outer space, a mission people cared deeply about. The company also grew with and around Elon. There were layers of management between individual employees and Elon, and those managers were experienced managers of Elon. Again, I cannot stress enough how much of the company culture was oriented around managing this one guy.
Twitter has neither of those things going for it. There is no company culture or internal structure around the problem of managing Elon Musk, and I think for the first time we’re seeing what happens when people actually take that man seriously and at face value. Worse, they’re doing this little experiment after this man has had decades of success at companies that dedicate significant resources to protecting themselves from him, and he’s too narcissistic to realize it.
TL;DR: there is no one at Twitter to manage Elon. And when Elon's not managed we get a chaotic mess of epic proportions.

This view seemed rather extreme and dire when I read it less than four weeks ago but now it is the most charitable and hopeful explanation I can find which is a testament to how far and how fast Elon's reign at Twitter has gone off the rails.

Serious question: is being impulsive/making hasty decisions without thinking them through thoroughly (while blaming poor outcomes on “move fast and break things”) part of Asbergers?

Yes.

I think he has recognised the need for a manger as he is starting to annoy and offend people that he doesn't want to annoy and offend. Before he just assumed he was offending people he intended to offend. That is my tentative read.
Do you think that if not CEO and is the owner and continues to act the way he has been acting will change anything when it comes to offending people? I dont think people will say it is no big deal he is just the owner of Twitter, not the CEO.

Yeah, I recently defended Elon to a friend:

Twitter is all about mastering the algorithm. FSD is all about mastering the algorithm. The entire future of humanity is all about mastering the algorithm.
This isn't about social media, it's a brilliant acquisition and consolidation of algorithm technology.

Turns out it had nothing to do with strategy or technology. He was just embarrassed for making such an ass of himself and wanted to redirect the blame on Dr. Fauci.

Speaking of algorithm remember after Elon made the offer to buy Twitter he said he will open source the Twitter algorithm(s). Good times that was some impressive code for people to tweak, oh wait.

Maybe once someone new is selected, at least the debate whether Elon can fix Twitter is answered (he couldn't). Everyone is ok with giving him more time, but if he votes himself out, then he's done at this point once he steps down. I do question whether and how much power, the new CEO would even have since Elon is still the owner. It's almost like a figurehead unless Elon totally steps away (sorta hard for someone addicted to Twitter).

I suppose folks can also now spin it as Elon being smart enough to recognize he can't fix it, but clearly, if it's turned around under someone elses leadership, it shows the other person fixed it.

More than likely, with where things are at, it crashes and burns further and folks can view it as Twitter was never salvageable (Musk or no).

More than likely, with where things are at, it crashes and burns further and folks can view it as Twitter was never salvageable (Musk or no).

When does the crashing and burning begin? I've heard for many weeks now that this is imminent, or will eventually happen. But what I see is this:

- A lot of people said they would leave, but Twitter seems to have more members than ever, who are more active than ever (if we believe Elon, and I do until someone can show me the oppositie is happening).
- Some high profile members were loudly announcing they were leaving or considering leaving Twitter, yet I'm under the impression they are still active (which makes sense if you have tens or hundreds of thousands of followers and then you go to Mastodon or some other wasteland and suddenly have no audience and no feedback).
- The site would crash, but that hasn't materialized.
- All advertisers would leave, but last I heard most have resumed advertising after a short pause (they want to be where the eyeballs are).
- Usability is improving, with fewer bots/scams.

So how is it going to crash and burn? Or is that just dramatized wishful thinking?

When does the crashing and burning begin? I've heard for many weeks now that this is imminent, or will eventually happen. But what I see is this:

- A lot of people said they would leave, but Twitter seems to have more members than ever, who are more active than ever (if we believe Elon, and I do until someone can show me the oppositie is happening).
- Some high profile members were loudly announcing they were leaving Twitter, yet they are still active (which makes sense if you have tens or hundreds of thousands of followers and then you go to Mastodon or some other wasteland and suddenly have no audience and no feedback).
- The site would crash, but that hasn't materialized.
- All advertisers would leave, but last I heard most have resumed advertising after a short pause (they want to be where the eyeballs are).
- Usability is improving, with less bots/scams.

So how is it going to crash and burn? Or is that just dramatized wishful thinking?
It’s all just copium from haters and TESLAQ disciples.

As many of us suspected, Elon lied about ElonJet causing a stalker incident, used it as an excuse to ban accounts, and why Taylor Lorenz was banned so swiftly before the article was out.
oh no. Elon lied about something. shocker. actually - truly shocking is still the amount of people giving him "benefit of the doubt" or taking every statement from Elon to the bank...

SNL Elon was his peak popularity where almost everyone loved him independent of political affiliation.

Now even a significant amount of TMC despises him.

No one ever saw that coming. Surely his approval rating here would have been in the high 90's prior to November.
I'm afraid we need a sad face emoji to join the other message responses now. Who would have thought? That he could fall so far, so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.