Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the millionth time, we all know he’s fallible. The difference is some of us don’t need to go around pointing out everything he says or does that we don’t like or agree about and have *this* as the result.

I know you think you have every right to judge and criticize him. I’m also pretty sure you think speaking out reflects well on your character or at least doesn’t reflect poorly on your character. I say, your belief in any of that is exactly why I’m in favor of Mother Nature wiping out the human race.
The "belief" lies within your own head, I'm fine with my "character" and don't care what people on the internet think about it. Also I don't think that my pointing out areas where I disagree with Elon damages my character in anyway. I've spent more years defending him than most people but I'm still able to acknowledge the times he's undeserving of such. There have unfortunately been more of those times recently.

Elon announced that he will offer a Starship Twitter Spaces event exclusively for subscribers.

I believe the concept of paid subscriptions contradicts Twitter's mission entirely. They aim to serve as a public town square, yet primarily promote content from paying users.

Moreover, there appears to be hypocrisy in this situation. Elon has criticized paywalls on other websites numerous times, and now the same practice is being implemented on Twitter.

In my opinion, only a small fraction of users will pay for Twitter's services. If high-quality content is effectively hidden behind paywalls, Twitter may slowly but inevitably fade away.

Elon announced that he will offer a Starship Twitter Spaces event exclusively for subscribers.

I believe the concept of paid subscriptions contradicts Twitter's mission entirely. They aim to serve as a public town square, yet primarily promote content from paying users.

Moreover, there appears to be hypocrisy in this situation. Elon has criticized paywalls on other websites numerous times, and now the same practice is being implemented on Twitter.

In my opinion, only a small fraction of users will pay for Twitter's services. If high-quality content is effectively hidden behind paywalls, Twitter may slowly but inevitably fade away.
Not true. Elon has spoken out against paywalls where you need a full (expensive) subscription to read one article. He said if he could just pay 25 cents or so to read one article he'd like to read he would, but not paying 20 bucks to subscribe for the month.

He's not against all forms of paywall. He even defended the need for them to ensure quality journalism.

Not true. Elon has spoken out against paywalls where you need a full (expensive) subscription to read one article. He said if he could just pay 25 cents or so to read one article he'd like to read he would, but not paying 20 bucks to subscribe for the month.

He's not against all forms of paywall. He even defended the need for them to ensure quality journalism.
So, Musk arbitrarily sets the limit of what can be considered an acceptable level of paywall and anyone who differs from it is wrong? He also lambasts Android and Apple pay stores for their developer fees and then charges a fee for Twitter’s API. 🙄

So, Musk arbitrarily sets the limit of what can be considered an acceptable level of paywall and anyone who differs from it is wrong? He also lambasts Android and Apple pay stores for their developer fees and then charges a fee for Twitter’s API. 🙄
Producer of a content on getting paid for his hard work from those directly benefiting from it

vs

A third party whose only contribution here is to provide the platform for service delivery demanding a percentage of the transaction. This is like FedEx or UPS demanding to get paid based on the value of the check they are delivering

Why is it a section of the posters simply can’t seem to get the context of many issues. For example the difference between getting funded by Govt Vs. Getting a small reduction in future taxes based on hitting business milestones.

Why is it a section of the posters simply can’t seem to get the context of many issues. For example the difference between getting funded by Govt Vs. Getting a small reduction in future taxes based on hitting business milestones.
That whole post was extremely rich but that last part…No offense but you’re the last person who should be upset about the perceived notion that OTHERS aren’t getting the context…

From Farhad Manjoo @ NY Times....
"About six months ago, Elon Musk bought your favorite neighborhood bar. Then he fired veteran bouncers and bartenders, tried to stiff the landlord and at least one vendor, and demanded that regulars pay a cover charge. He’s frequently struggled to serve his customers, yet he’s penalized them for mentioning the competition. He’s tamped down the revelry in general, really — a lot of conversation at his watering hole has been drowned out by Musk’s own never-ending stage act, which consists mainly of him yelling dad jokes at customers through a bullhorn."

• Funny
Reactions: Bet TSLA and DrGriz
Producer of a content on getting paid for his hard work from those directly benefiting from it

vs

A third party whose only contribution here is to provide the platform for service delivery demanding a percentage of the transaction. This is like FedEx or UPS demanding to get paid based on the value of the check they are delivering

I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about, but Twitter will demand something as well, according to the Tweet by Elon and the Twitter Help page (assuming this is up-to-date) :

... "After first year, iOS & Android fees drop to 15% and we will add a small amount on top of that, depending on volume." ...

How much of my Subscription fee supports the person I Subscribe to?​

When you pay for access to someone’s Subscription offering, they can earn up to 97% of the revenue Twitter has earned from what you pay Twitter, after in-app purchase fees, up to $50,000 in lifetime earnings based on Twitter’s Subscriptions Creator Terms. After $50,000 in lifetime earnings, they can earn up to 80% of the revenue Twitter has earned after in-app purchase fees. Learn about revenue breakdown.

This sounds like beginning in one year (mid 2024), Twitter will keep at least 3% of the first $50,000, and at least 20% afterwards. Perhaps 3% is a credit card processing fee or something, so perhaps it is 17% that Twitter itself will keep after the first $50k. If this is up-to-date, and Twitter can probably change that anytime.

At least that is what it sounds like to me, just reading these two sources.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I see all the usual suspects crapping all over Elon as usual, but no one thought to post or discuss Elon's remarkable exchange with a BBC reporter from earlier this week?

I believe Elon said he is going to do interviews with the far left, far right and so called "moderate" reporters over the coming weeks.

That is a good thing and helps us all get out of our echo chamber media bubbles.

I've already posted evidence of hateful content on Twitter. One unprepared journalist doesn't make this fact not true, nor does your unwillingness to acknowledge.

In truth, we’re a lot more focussed on this than most people, for obvious reasons. My family and friends don’t pay much attention to Elon and that’s probably the norm for most of the country, except when they read a headline.
It will prob mostly be Tucker’s regular viewers, and of course the key outrage clips will make it onto Twitter and maybe some late night comedians’ shows. But I can’t see it being more than a mild uptick for Tucker viewing.
If he had MTG and Kyle Rittenhouse on together it prob would spike higher.

He will for sure be prodded on NPR and then prob NYT and BBC etc, and definitely on wokeness, also. Tucker isn’t going to let him ramble on about Mars and space and saving the planet, let along the CT.
Except a mentally distressed person with violent tendencies or violent hallucinations is not going to listen to anyone until fully medicated. Even then they can’t rationalize.

I agree that there are cases that don’t require lethal force, but just like Police can’t evaluate a mentally ill person, Psychologist can’t and won’t be able to evaluate and descalate everyone at the spot.

There needs to be a middle ground with lethal force. What that middle ground is? Who knows, but it’s not fully we need psych on the scene…
This isn’t an accurate picture of what is actually happening. This is really about adding a fourth kind of 1st responder to the traditional ones -- fire, police, Ems.
This new kind takes calls cops have been getting stuck with for years that really shouldn’t have been their problem but are now 40 percent of their workload.
You need to look at reports of how the new departments are actually doing this work in say, Denver, san fran, Albuquerque, Portland and dozens of other major jurisdictions across the nation. About 75 of them now and more every month. Theyre proving remarkably effective ... the 911 calls carefully screen which calls to send them out on. Its de-escalation, but the main point really is it frees police from BS calls about panhandling, trespass etc so they can tackle real crime... serious violent and property crtime.
This is a huge win win win. Cops doing better work on serious crime, getting more job satisfaction, minor cases getting intensive attention so in some cases the people can get off the streets and stop causing endless headaches for cities, cities meanwhile getting the help they need because of the national shortage of police officers. It is not just deescalation.

I see all the usual suspects crapping all over Elon as usual, but no one thought to post or discuss Elon's remarkable exchange with a BBC reporter from earlier this week?

I believe Elon said he is going to do interviews with the far left, far right and so called "moderate" reporters over the coming weeks.

That is a good thing and helps us all get out of our echo chamber media bubbles.

The journo’s claim was accurate. The fact he didn’t have one of many potential examples at hand only means he wasn’t prepared. It doesn’t mean he was wrong, or, as Musk claimed, going even further, that he was lying.

Last edited:
From the video of the Justice Department announcing actions "against the largest, most violent, and most prolific fentanyl trafficking operation in the world"...

Starting at 33:37 is Q and A regarding "the role of social media in this threat". (No specific mention of Twitter or any other specific company).
3 quotes:

"Social media"... "are the superhighway of this supply chain".

"And that is why we recently met with representatives of the social media companies. They need to do more to address the sales of this deadly and illicit drugs on their platform".

"What social media companies are doing is they are solving the last-mile problem for the cartels".

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
transcript:

CARLSON: Welcome, Elon, we’re delighted you could take the time to come and talk with us! Our audience LOVES you! Now, at least.

MUSK: Tucker, I’m glad you invited me, and I’ve been looking forward to this and to reaching some of your viewers who may not have caught me on the BBC, ha ha.

CARLSON: Oh you’d be surprised. Anyway, let's get to it!

MUSK: Great! And if I can ask a favor... I had some of our clever engineers hack into Fox’s servers... just to save time! And if its OK, I want to start a little digital timer up in the corner there for viewers. Humor me and I’ll explain a little later. Ha ha.

CARLSON: What? Oh.. uh...

MUSK: Ha ha. Time is important. The clock is ticking for all of us. But ... I know you’re not interested in climate change. So I’m not even going to talk about that, or saving the planet. You’re probably not interested in that, either. Or even Mars. Deal?

CARLSON: Great! yeah! And...

MUSK: But of course the underlying reason you asked me here is I’m pretty well known because of a car company and so I think it’s not just fair, but really important we talk about Tesla. So... oh... ha ha. I had the engineers feed in a few clips here I really think your viewers will understand. But first let’s get at the heart of why Tesla is going so well. We have tried to create the most modern, efficient manufacturing processes anywhere. This video shows a gigafactory, this one is in Austin, and you can see how automated the processes are.
We have two of these factories making cars in the United States, with great American workers, thousands of them.

CARLSON: Wow, is that a Gigapress? I’ve heard they can...

MUSK: Yeah. Save dozens of parts and assembly operations. And in that same factory we’ve begun making our own car batteries. And we’re building semi-trucks -- we call them Semis, ha ha.. that has a meaning I didn’t know about when I did it. Well, I kind of did, but not really. I think. Ha ha. But the real point? What made all this possible?

CARLSON: White people, no woke BS, right? and no unions.

MUSK: Well, what I was going to say -- yeah, no unions, we try to pay well and do good benefits so why would you need that? -- but the real point the thing that made all that possible?
Our cars are just FASTER. They kick ass. All of them. Forget carbon emissions, forget saving humanity, saving the planet.
I’ll show you. We’re going to roll this video.... this is our small car, the Model 3 and a Hellcat. Ouch! Ha ha. And watch this one, this is a Model Y.. just a small family SUV and let’s see ... a Mustang gt500 -- Ford sucks! Ha ha!.... a Camaro SS .... GM REALLY sucks!....and just for fun and old Ferrari Daytona. ... All right, smoked them.
One more, this is our Model X plaid, basically a medium sized family SUV with a little tuning and it’s lining up with a McLaren, my first supercar actually. Not really close was it?
Ok, and this next one is really fun...

CARLSON: Ok, but can we talk about woke stuff and Biden?

MUSK: Yeah, absolutely. But yeah...Here’s our Model S, a mid-sized family sedan....and a whole bunch of Corvettes....one of every generation of Corvette ever made. And just for you, Tucker, I made sure they stuck one in that is an exactly duplicate of Biden’s... a green 1967 convertible.

CARLSON: Wow! Biden’s car really got crushed, it was like, 7th! That Model S did him like Trump is going to next...

MUSK: Yeah yeah... and that timer up in the corner of your viewers' screen? We just stopped it. That’s how long it takes to top off at a pretty typical supercharger stop.
We have this great network of them. You can drive anywhere. And you can just drive around crapping all over Camaros and Chargers and Corvettes like you just saw and charging in our huge network costs about half what gas costs.
And at home? You can change up for about one quarter the cost of gas.

CARLSON: Yeah that’s great but...

MUSK: And by the end of this year our great American workers in Austin will be cranking out Cyber Trucks. Afraid of gangs? Bulletproof! Drive anywhere! Charge it at home off the grid with our batteries and solar roofs! How can you be a prepper unless you have an EV, right? And our new factories in Austin and Berlin are really ramping up and we’re planning even more and a high volume model. And the company is essentially debt-free. Great investment!

CARLSON:Well, we’re out of time, Elon, I’d really like to have you b ack to talk about wokeness, white Christians and how corrupt libs and the Biden’s are right? Can you do that?

MUSK: Oh absolutely. And I’ll bring more videos, next time of the pickup and the semi in action. WHat’s more American than the toughest, badass pickup or an 18-wheeler. Maybe we’ll tape one hauling a bunch of AR-15s for you!
And just one more thing, I want to talk directly to your core audience because I think the lying media has ...

CARLSON: Yeah!

MUSK: The lying media has really done a number on them about EVs. So, ha ha, folks, I’m making a no-spin zone, right here.
And it all comes down to just one question... do you want to be the driver kicking all the ass. And I do mean ALL of it?
Or do you want to be GETTING your asses kicked?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JRP3 and DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.