Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You left out the most critical portion of the analogy - you going and doing PI work to associate those random license plate numbers with names (i.e. Personally Identifiable Information).

Why would it be legal, if say someone had intentionally requested their PII to be scrubbed by ADSBx, for someone to go publish it?
Location and tail number data on a jet, or a license plate of a car, is not PII, because the type of information we're dealing with is not personal. The car I usually drive has a certain license plate on it but just because it's spotted on a specific road at a specific time that does not mean I was driving it or was even in the vehicle. And guess what? If I were to sell any of these vehicles to someone else in California, they retain their license plates but change owners.

Last edited:
If there are complaints about the tracking of Elon's jet, the criticism should be focused on the FAA. Live aircraft tracking has one purpose, to provide for consistent air traffic control in US airspace. FAA made a half-hearted attempt at allowing private aircraft to request a level of anonymity, but it can be easily overridden by a modestly clever hacker. The FAA needs to make a better effort.

Reactions: bkp_duke
There is a truly excellent piece today in the NYTimes about Tucker Carlson. This, apparently, is what Elon has been drawn into.

BTW, for the record, I have a lot of criticism myself about the NYTimes and NPR. Some of their reporting is excellent, some very biased. I'm an old-school liberal and find the constant harping on about identity politics akin to nails on a chalkboard. I do not like their incessant bashing of white men, among other things. Just saying that for the record, for the gang who after years of me fighting anti-Elon FUD has labelled me, along with all critics of his recent behavior, as 'haters'. Because, black and white is the only way to think about things, apparently. No nuance, no complexity, no consideration of the way things and people affect each other. No, we must all be propagandists with a megaphone, adhering to ONE side out of two. I'm not like that, have never been and never will be.

Anyway, here's the link.

That's quite the multi-media study. Can't remember anything like this done on an individual. With so much statistical evidence.

Reactions: DrGriz
People arguing that Elon's location should be made available so that he and his young children can more easily be attacked is making me sick.
1. Once again, location of a plane != location of a person. Surely the second richest person in the world can figure this out, just like Bernard Arnault did.
2. Jack Sweeney's motivation for creating a bot that publishes the locations of celebrities' jets wasn't so they could be attacked, it was both because he was a fan of Elon and to bring public awareness to the fact that people like Elon dumped 1,895 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere last year.

People arguing that Elon's location should be made available so that he and his young children can more easily be attacked is making me sick. Those on the left are supposed to be the kind section of society. Please please stop.
Nobody, but nobody, is arguing that Elon's location should be made available so that he and his young children can be attacked.

But some people are arguing that the person who loves having millions of followers doesn't want to be followed.

Ok, now I’m really curious about Bluesky

Bluesky Becomes the Hottest Club Online as Twitter Users Fight for Invites
The desperation to flee a once-dominant app stems from the many changes made to it by current owner Elon Musk, who acquired the platform for $44 billion last year. Since then, it has welcomed back hate speech and conspiracist accounts, grown increasingly glitchy as Musk slashed staff, and abolished the old identity verification system in favor of paid subscriptions to Twitter Blue, which has allowed all manner of trolls and grifters to buy an algorithmic boost on the site.​
Bluesky, whose interface resembles Twitter without certain features (including blocks and direct messages), holds promise as an escape from this cesspit, with some early adopters describing its user experience as similar to "early" Twitter, even nicknaming it "Twitter 2."​

People arguing that Elon's location should be made available so that he and his young children can more easily be attacked is making me sick. Those on the left are supposed to be the kind section of society. Please please stop.
Please stop making up complete lies which don't reflect reality. He and his children have never been attacked or even threatened because of publicly available data about his jet location. Please seek help for your delusions.

Are you only bothering to defend Elon or every celebrity who has a private jet? Because it's been explained to you a dozen times in this thread how that information is public, but you keep embarrassing yourself by not acknowledging it and making up arguments.

If Twitter is supposed to be the "public square," how is banning public info from being shared there consistent with that notion? As others have said, if the issue is with this info being public, that's an issue to take up with the FAA.

You cannot advocate for free speech absolutism, Twitter is the public square, whatever other dumb trope Elon has put out there but then say, "actually, I don't like these parts of free speech, let's ban them." I mean, I guess you can but it just makes you a gigantic hypocrite and cuts down every other argument you put forth.

Folks right here on this board used to cite it all the time as evidence of whatever 4D chess thing they thought Elon was secretly up to based on where he was travelling.

But as noted, it's free, public, and legal information--- so in a free country where someone believes in free speech, you don't need a "reason" to publish it anyway.

In a previous company long ago I was at, looking at the visitor logs could give anyone a clue as to what things or deals might be happening. If you were an AI company say and leadership from Microsoft or Google was constantly visiting or flying in, that's probably not a normal thing so the 4D chess thing, if it's even that deep is definitely a reality.

If Musk keeps flying to some place in Montana and there just happens to be some hot tech AI startup there that's all that, it wouldn't be a far call to assume something maybe going on or about to happen so there are even legit business, exec reasons to want to know where execs are or travel to, especially if it's your job to monitor your competitors.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
In a previous company long ago I was at, looking at the visitor logs could give anyone a clue as to what things or deals might be happening. If you were an AI company say and leadership from Microsoft or Google was constantly visiting or flying in, that's probably not a normal thing so the 4D chess thing, if it's even that deep is definitely a reality.

If Musk keeps flying to some place in Montana and there just happens to be some hot tech AI startup there that's all that, it wouldn't be a far call to assume something maybe going on or about to happen so there are even legit business, exec reasons to want to know where execs are or travel to, especially if it's your job to monitor your competitors.

Visitor logs are typically not public. I travel for business a lot and have to sign a lot of logs, most businesses this day and age are digital and you can't see who the person is that signed in just before you.

Reactions: Electroman
Please stop making up complete lies which don't reflect reality. He and his children have never been attacked or even threatened because of publicly available data about his jet location. Please seek help for your delusions.

This is the typical mouth piece from society now and many things now like IOUs with starting a class war on solar installs (the rich are forcing you to pay more, poor people). It's all just misdirection and lies to spread further hate, division, class warfare, racism, etc...

The whole stalking car thing was because the guy was a fan of his ex-wife (not even him) and any celeb/actress/pop star are going to have tons of fans/psychos. Comes with the territory.

Visitor logs are typically not public. I travel for business a lot and have to sign a lot of logs, most businesses this day and age are digital and you can't see who the person is that signed in just before you.

Maybe you only visit large companies with these digital logs, but I've been to places recently where I just sign a log/reason for visit, who to visit, etc and I can see the previous names/etc...

I doubt many small startups have processes/infra/tech in place to digitally deal with this. They're too busy getting their own projects and using $$ for that vs. this.

Agreed. It has not happened yet and we should not make up facts just to make a point.

Instead we should simply wait for something to happen. Perhaps when Elon's jet stops for fueling in a Eastern European or South American airport with poor security, conveniently a Russian agent who just happened to be an avid follower of ElonJet's twitter account might shoot down the plane with a hand held Russian missile. After all he is the most admired, well followed and for that same reason the most hated person who many individuals and institutions and some countries would like to see him "silenced".

Of course then we can come here and say, "tough luck", "this is the price we need to pay for free speech", "there is no clear proof that tracking his plane and posting it on Twitter had in any way helped", yada yada..

Status
Not open for further replies.