Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's latest message confirms v5.8 "greater ground clearance at highway speeds"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla HAS NOT SUSPENDED THE AUTO-LOW SETTING. Nowhere is this stated, and this thread along with everybody that keeps posting this, is INCORRECT.

The fact that the car lowers at 96.5mph is a SOFTWARE BUG - a non-intentional change.

Here's a thought: Maybe it was an intentional bug? v5.6 was being issued mid last week right up to Friday lunchtime and then in the afternoon came a big push to get v5.8 out. In order to avoid writing new code the easiest way to stop the car lowering might well have been to change KPH to MPH (also makes it the easiest way to change it back again later); in other words, the SW engineers deliberately inserted the bug to achieve what Tesla wanted. The only thing they didn't expect was that some enterprising TMC'ers would actually go out and test lowering the suspension at 96.5mph.

Although I still think Tesla needs to improve communications, I'm actually convincing myself that at least they knew what they were doing.

From the blog post: "Third, to reinforce how strongly we feel about the low risk of fire in our cars, we will be amending our warranty policy to cover damage due to a fire, even if due to driver error. Unless a Model S owner actively tries to destroy the car, they are covered."

Fire in a Model S is now a warranty item? Brilliant move, Elon!

Effing FANTASTIC move... awesome, spectacular, what we've come to expect from Tesla move.

- - - Updated - - -

(head explosion) I'm sorry, what now?!?!?! I mean really, WTF?! He is crazy. Like a fox. (And we all know what the fox says....) Anyway, this is really nutty, but realistically, it's not going to happen freaking often. I love how people say "OMG 2 in a month" when it's really 2 in well over a year. Not that either representation is statistically valid, probably (I'm no statistician), but really, I do agree with what must be part of his underlying premise--"this won't happen often, so this will not make a dent in our finances."

But still my head's swimming from this twist. Someone predicted this, but I didn't buy it. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Will this make insurance rates for the Model S go down? ;-) I mean for insurance companies, it's all about the payouts, right?

Cheaper to give away a few cars then take the stock hit.

Hopefully this will include the oft-requested ability to run in "high" on the freeway for snowy winter driving.

Actually, I hope they provide the ability lock in highway height and lock in low speed height. I really want to have the car raise to high when I go below 10 mph so that I stand a better chance of clearing parking bumpers and sidewalks when parking the car. I also hope they make it a driver preference.

Maybe we'll get the long-rumored geo-fencing suspension height settings. That way, the car will always remember to raise itself when you approach your driveway every day, or that speed-bump/pothole on your regular commute route.

Maybe we'll get the long-rumored geo-fencing suspension height settings. That way, the car will always remember to raise itself when you approach your driveway every day, or that speed-bump/pothole on your regular commute route.
Then we just geotag all road debris, and voila, no more issue. The car raises itself appropriately for the size of the upcoming road debris!!

The handful of battery fire cases annually can be written of by TM to 'crash testing' and will for owners help keep insurance premiums low. Class move!!

Time to pack a grapple hook & rope to clear debris off our roads for we may not see it in time on our return trip.
--