Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EM confirms autopilot hardware on X and S are the same

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've gotta keep cost down for now, X & S are the same platform. III likely will have this level of AP as well or maybe in ~3 years when it finally launches it could have AP2. But I don't really expect more autonomously capable AP2 until the next generation of S/X platform roles out - say 2020ish. But, the S & X until then are still going to be relatively high-tech for the next 4-5 years ;-)

They've gotta keep cost down for now, X & S are the same platform. III likely will have this level of AP as well or maybe in ~3 years when it finally launches it could have AP2. But I don't really expect more autonomously capable AP2 until the next generation of S/X platform roles out - say 2020ish. But, the S & X until then are still going to be relatively high-tech for the next 4-5 years ;-)

"Relatively high-tech," yes, but neither class-leading nor state of the art...

I don't think they can sit on their hands, hardware-wise, for 3-5 years.

The hardware on the S and the X are the same. This statement would still be true if the X happens to have additional hardware :)

So the S and the X can have the same hardware as in ultrasonic, single front camera, and front radar. But that does not preclude the X from having additional cameras or sensors :)

We already know that at the least the X has dual facing front cameras while the current S only has one.

The hardware on the S and the X are the same. This statement would still be true if the X happens to have additional hardware :)

So the S and the X can have the same hardware as in ultrasonic, single front camera, and front radar. But that does not preclude the X from having additional cameras or sensors :)

We already know that at the least the X has dual facing front cameras while the current S only has one.

We don't know that, do we? We have one photo from which pixel detectives have concluded has dual cameras in it, but which is highly circumstantial and may be irrelevant in any case.

There are multiple founders out there with actual cars in their hands, and one (Mark) is somewhat active on the board; we can definitively determine that there are not (or are) dual cameras on the X pretty easily. (And it seems to have been settled that there are not.)

You're grasping at straws. EM said the hardware AND capabilities are the same. The founders Model X did not have dual cameras, only the website.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97380&d=1444532569.png

Is it coming? 100% yes, is it here now? I doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't know that, do we? We have one photo from which pixel detectives have concluded has dual cameras in it, but which is highly circumstantial and may be irrelevant in any case.

There are multiple founders out there with actual cars in their hands, and one (Mark) is somewhat active on the board; we can definitively determine that there are not (or are) dual cameras on the X pretty easily. (And it seems to have been settled that there are not.)

I resemble that remark. And it's clear that it has dual cameras on the webpage, no detective work needed. This was proven inaccurate based on photos of the founders cars at the release.

Were there any differences on October 10? Nnone. However, lets not forget that Tesla is making 20 changes per week. :)

Personally, I think Tesla wants to make as many cars as possible and will not make any changes to Autopilot right now.