Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Embedded display...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I know this has been beaten to death, but I just can't help myself. In the new interior spy shot taken from the driver's side window seen here on electrek, it seems pretty clear that there is more than enough room/space to lower the display a little and embed it flush into the dash.

All I can see underneath the display is storage space. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice that space to have a display that doesn't look like it was gorilla glued onto the dash.

It would still be just as reachable if moved down a bit. Also, it seems it would then be totally clear of the vent behind it. They are touting this revolutionary new venting system, and blocking that center portion??

What's the only caveat to moving it down? The speedometer?? That seriously can't be the only reason for such an eyesore of a placement. Meh, I'd deal with looking down and over to see the speedo, or pick up a cheap HUD found anywhere on Amazon. And it doesn't look like it would really be in the way, judging from the pics, *especially* if it were oriented vertically.

Last edited:
There is certainly a $$$ case for a floating display rather than one that is integrated - less effort to manufacture or replace. Also, there is a school of thought as @Zaphod says the screen cannot be properly integrated and have it at eye height - I don't fully agree with that one.

The fact that the rest of the dash has NOTHING to show that there is floating screen in front of it makes the result look like it has been attached with an after-market tablet contraption. There should have been a section in the dash just below the screen, the wooden trim should have a discontinuation or something else at least to show that the car came with that screen.

Reactions: Siciliano
nWXa8aI.gif

There is certainly a $$$ case for a floating display rather than one that is integrated - less effort to manufacture or replace. Also, there is a school of thought as @Zaphod says the screen cannot be properly integrated and have it at eye height - I don't fully agree with that one.

The fact that the rest of the dash has NOTHING to show that there is floating screen in front of it makes the result look like it has been attached with an after-market tablet contraption. There should have been a section in the dash just below the screen, the wooden trim should have a discontinuation or something else at least to show that the car came with that screen.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...unfortunately this design is more or less what Franz had done in the initial sketches so it has been their design intent all along, like it or not. Looks like it maybe was sketched lower and angled more, but essentially the same nonetheless. Not loving it personally, but don't hate it. I'm reserving all final opinion until I experience it firsthand.

top-the-design-sketches-for-the-model-3-bottom-the-interior-of-the-model-3-as-shown-at-the-part-o.jpeg

Reactions: lukex4
The screen doesn't bother me. Everything else in the interior does. That sketch is really sexy. look how sleek the armrest is compared to the clumpy, thrown-together thing we get. the dash inlays aren't just straight across the dash. this is effort and detail i've described is missing in the final design. simple can be done with elegance, but that bottom photo isn't it.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...unfortunately this design is more or less what Franz had done in the initial sketches so it has been their design intent all along, like it or not. Looks like it maybe was sketched lower and angled more, but essentially the same nonetheless. Not loving it personally, but don't hate it. I'm reserving all final opinion until I experience it firsthand.

top-the-design-sketches-for-the-model-3-bottom-the-interior-of-the-model-3-as-shown-at-the-part-o.jpeg

You're right, dead horse ... broken stick....

Moving it down to where you suggest would make it much harder to be able to look at the screen while driving.
Exactly. If you embedded it, it would be way lower, not in line of sight, and, also, a dust collector, like every current dashboard with all the doohickeys on them! Elon wanted the higher driver position, and the only way to get the line-of-sight for the display/speedometer was to have it mounted so the top edge was beyond the dashboard's top surface.

The screen doesn't bother me. Everything else in the interior does. That sketch is really sexy. look how sleek the armrest is compared to the clumpy, thrown-together thing we get. the dash inlays aren't just straight across the dash. this is effort and detail i've described is missing in the final design. simple can be done with elegance, but that bottom photo isn't it.
Designer's sketches rarely (if ever) consider ergonomics, assembly, manufacturing, etc. They just make it look cool. Once the sketches transform into production parts that have to be assembled and manufactured, pass crash tests, etc. compromises are almost always made.

Reactions: Runt8
Would really have been that much trouble to put a smaller LCD in front of the steering wheel with standard readouts, where everyone is used to seeing it at? If it were optional, that'd be one thing, but I don't like being forced to accept such an extreme change like this.

Perhaps the monitor has some adjustability? For height and angles?

Would really have been that much trouble to put a smaller LCD in front of the steering wheel with standard readouts, where everyone is used to seeing it at? If it were optional, that'd be one thing, but I don't like being forced to accept such an extreme change like this.

Perhaps the monitor has some adjustability? For height and angles?

Too much trouble? No. They decided not to include that sort of screen in that location. As far as being forced to accept it, you're not. No is being forced to buy the car. If it is too extreme for you then don't buy it.

The production numbers for this platform will be large enough where the aftermarket could potentially profit from offering changes. They could take one apart and provide a number of designs which could relocate the display. Would be good if Tesla facilitated the inevitable by providing different signals and layouts for various aspect ratios and resolutions.

The production numbers for this platform will be large enough where the aftermarket could potentially profit from offering changes. They could take one apart and provide a number of designs which could relocate the display. Would be good if Tesla facilitated the inevitable by providing different signals and layouts for various aspect ratios and resolutions.

Exactly. I bet it doesn't take longer than a few months after the car is released before we start seeing aftermarket "enclosures" for the display. Something to simply close the gaps around the perimeter to the dash. And I'll bet the farm they'll sell well...

Exactly. I bet it doesn't take longer than a few months after the car is released before we start seeing aftermarket "enclosures" for the display. Something to simply close the gaps around the perimeter to the dash. And I'll bet the farm they'll sell well...
Those "gaps" are several inches wide, it would take a huge enclosure to do that and then you'd just a have big, clunky box sticking out of your dash where you used to have a well designed display.