Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMF while Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this thread...

The meter also has two low bands, one 50Hz-1KHz and the other 50Hz-10KHz. The low bands were OK in the front seat, but massively high in the back seat. I would not want anyone in the backseat while the car is charging. The cable was also putting out some intense fields while the car was charging.
That makes sense. You are seeing the high frequency coming off of the AC-DC Boost / Buck converter. It's a switching power supply and while well shielded, can still leak a bit.
-Jim

DC current has no changing flux, so should not irradiate any EM radiation. This is probably what you're seeing.

Rectified AC direct current still varies, the current just flows in one direction, so it is technically DC. But because it changes, EM radiation is possible. In the discussion, there was no evidence whether superchargers used rectified AC or pure DC. It looks like pure DC from my measurements.

That makes sense. You are seeing the high frequency coming off of the AC-DC Boost / Buck converter. It's a switching power supply and while well shielded, can still leak a bit.
-Jim

I saw the same thing off the cable going into the car. What I'm probably seeing is the EM field coming off the relatively high AC current flowing down the cable. Though the charging equipment under the seat probably contributes too.

But because it changes, EM radiation is possible. In the discussion, there was no evidence whether superchargers used rectified AC or pure DC. It looks like pure DC from my measurements.

During supercharging, the cables are directly connected to the pack (via HVJB contactors) so any voltage ripple would be minimal. Current ripple could exist, but that would cause a lower charging efficiency, so it likely a low level (esp with multiple interleaved chargers in the cabinet).

• Love
Reactions: kingjamez
There are several pear reviewed studies

pear.jpg

Someone told me this week that EMF can kill you and that Teslas are packed with it. I bought a meter (GQ EMF Radiation Detector) and have been testing the ins and outs of the claim. I measured inside and outside while parked. The meter showed the same value ranges as me walking around inside my house. 1.0mG to 4.0mG. I took the car for a ride and kept the meter on the seat between my legs as the person that made the claim said driving a Tesla would have an adverse effect on my .... I measured driving slow, fast, I stepped on it (M3P) and I pulled into a supercharger (40kW) and stayed in the car. No difference. Same numbers. The only time the meter would go higher and start beeping (DANGER!!) would be when I passed under or drove along power lines. I then read a few reports from various reputable organization on the dangers of EMF and have concluded (1) causation between exposure to EMF and cancer has not been established after 50 years of studies and testing (2) The EMF exposure in a Tesla when parked or while driving is the same as when you walk down the street. If the street has overhead powerlines you be exposed for longer than if you drive a Tesla down the same street. I also learned that inside the house the worst EMF measures came from my wife's hair dryer and a TP wi-fi extender. In retrospect I feel somewhat indifferent to the whole experience. I've started to expect that when articles are written on non-reputable sites containing negative information about problem A and that same site sells remedies for problem A on the same page that something fishy is going on. The person that made the claim is now on my full of *sugar* list.