Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Endless search for a MagSafe phone mount is over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RyMY

Apr 26, 2021
NY
Since before picking up my MY, I have been searching for the best MagSafe phone mount. If the MY had regular vents, it wouldn’t had been a search.

It was between the Jowua foldaway MagSafe and the Spigen onetap MagSafe. I almost purchased the Spigen when it first came out. But if you look at the pictures for both of them, they are always mounted on/near the upper left corner of the screen. This location seems like it would be kind of annoying to mount a phone. It blocks your front view. It’s also in the way of the steering wheel or gear selector stalk.

After a couple of months of driving my MY, I knew where the best mounting place is, at least for me. The bottom left area of the screen. This eliminated the Spigen since it needs to be mounted to the corner due to its design.

I finally ordered the Jowua. It’s almost the perfect design for mounting where I wanted. When my iPhone is mounted there, I can still access the front center console, the wireless chargers, and cup holders. It’s not in the way. I can also rest my arm on the arm rest and utilize my phone, when car is parked of course. My iPhone is mounted very steadily.

This is a MagSafe mount and only works for iPhone 12 or newer. I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max with Apple leather case. Cases without MagSafe will not work as steadily and may fall off. iPhone 12 or newer without a case will also work. Other phone mounts, magnetic or clamp style, might also work if the mount is of similar design.

Attachments

• 833008E1-3D84-425C-A362-E59AEBA303F0.jpeg
    833008E1-3D84-425C-A362-E59AEBA303F0.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 2,892
Do you have a picture with the phone mounted? I'm looking for something similar for the bottom left of my screen and want the phone in Landscape and not be able to see the mount when no phone is on it. I'd like the phone as close to the screen as possible when mounted

I just received this same mount yesterday for my iPhone 13 Pro Max (I have the clear Apple magsafe case). I have it mounted in the top left corner and mount my phone in landscape mode. The top of the phone when mounted just barely crosses over the bottom of the windshield when I'm looking forward, which I think is perfect.

One thing though.... I wish the magnets were a tad bit stronger. So far it hasn't fallen off, but it's only been one day and I haven't run over a big bump where it might fall off on impact. I have magsafe mounts in my other cars (I have ones that mount via the CD slot (who uses CDs nowadays) and the magnets on those I think are a tad weaker that Jowua's mount. On those other mounts, my phone has fallen off maybe twice due to me hitting a big pothole.

Also, I wish the ball socket was a bit tighter. It hasn't shifted when driving, but I can imagine over time it'll get looser.

Overall though, I think the Jowua mount is fine. If you use a any other iphone (12 or 13 only) besides the iPhone 13 Pro Max, it'll be perfect as it is lighter.

Reactions: Jowua and RyMY
It was between the Jowua foldaway MagSafe and the Spigen onetap MagSafe. I almost purchased the Spigen when it first came out. But if you look at the pictures for both of them, they are always mounted on/near the upper left corner of the screen. This location seems like it would be kind of annoying to mount a phone. It blocks your front view. It’s also in the way of the steering wheel or gear selector stalk.

FYI, I have the Spigen and it doesn't block the front view or get in the way of the gear stock. I originally bought a Topfit mount but returned it since the phone was sitting too high when installed on the driver's side. The Spigen mounting position is much better...but definitely wish it had wireless charging capabilities.

Is your Jowua mount the version with wireless charging?

Reactions: RyMY
FYI, I have the Spigen and it doesn't block the front view or get in the way of the gear stock. I originally bought a Topfit mount but returned it since the phone was sitting too high when installed on the driver's side. The Spigen mounting position is much better...but definitely wish it had wireless charging capabilities.

Is your Jowua mount the version with wireless charging?
Non-wireless charging version.

Reactions: ucsdsig
I've been thinking about this a lot too, why it's always mounted on the top left where everyone can see what you're watching. I was thinking this would work on bottom left corner too, does it still fold? So far I've just been putting it in the charging area but those damn YouTube ads I need to find the skip button.

Since before picking up my MY, I have been searching for the best MagSafe phone mount. If the MY had regular vents, it wouldn’t had been a search.

After a couple of months of driving my MY, I knew where the best mounting place is, at least for me. The bottom left area of the screen. This eliminated the Spigen since it needs to be mounted to the corner due to its design.

I finally ordered the Jowua. It’s almost the perfect design for mounting where I wanted. When my iPhone is mounted there, I can still access the front center console, the wireless chargers, and cup holders. It’s not in the way. I can also rest my arm on the arm rest and utilize my phone, when car is parked of course. My iPhone is mounted very steadily.

This is a MagSafe mount and only works for iPhone 12 or newer. I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max with Apple leather case. Cases without MagSafe will not work as steadily and may fall off. iPhone 12 or newer without a case will also work. Other phone mounts, magnetic or clamp style, might also work if the mount is of similar design.
That’s what I use. Wish I could swivel up and down but it’s close to perfect. Can move closer and farther away, and rotate mounting point. I’d love to be able to move it to above the screen or beside as needed.

Reactions: RyMY and Jowua
Curious to try this but am worried about the adhesive melting in the summer or just from the heat behind the screen. Interestingly, someone on Amazon shared that the 3M pad adheres to the felt of the charging pad! But again, I worry if it’s going to leave a sticky residue on the felt if I remove the mount someday. Sigh, the search continues…

2269395A-52D1-4AB9-85EF-C2F1D1BAE93E.png

D520BEB8-626D-4D07-A918-8CC1A31E5872.png

Attachments

• D520BEB8-626D-4D07-A918-8CC1A31E5872.png
    D520BEB8-626D-4D07-A918-8CC1A31E5872.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,863
I just ordered the Spigen wireless one tap - will update with my thoughts once I’ve tried it for a few. I’ve read good things so we’ll see….
Look forward to your review.

I bit the bullet and ordered the pricey MagBak as a Father’s Day gift to myself. There was a 20% promo code too during the holiday weekend.

The MagBak has a strong secure hold and my iPhone 13 Pro hasn’t fallen off, even over very bumpy roads or railroad tracks. I love everything about the MagBak except its price, but still no regrets.

Reactions: Dennisis
Look forward to your review.

I bit the bullet and ordered the pricey MagBak as a Father’s Day gift to myself. There was a 20% promo code too during the holiday weekend.

The MagBak has a strong secure hold and my iPhone 13 Pro hasn’t fallen off, even over very bumpy roads or railroad tracks. I love everything about the MagBak except its price, but still no regrets.
Interesting - where did you mount it?

Interesting - where did you mount it?
Top left of the screen. Plenty of clearance away from the drive stalk. Also positions the phone in an optimum height for FaceTime or meeting calls, music control, Waze, etc. Currently I don’t utilize the wireless charging feature after bad experiences with my previous iPhone 12 Pro Max and battery degradation.

CD39C9F3-F690-4EAD-8E72-68D623E11599.jpeg

Reactions: CDrury
Top left of the screen. Plenty of clearance away from the drive stalk. Also positions the phone in an optimum height for FaceTime or meeting calls, music control, Waze, etc. Currently I don’t utilize the wireless charging feature after bad experiences with my previous iPhone 12 Pro Max and battery degradation.

View attachment 819416
Oh excellent looks good! I’ll see how the Spigen works out and consider this for a fallback. Not worried about the battery really as I get a new phone every year, 2 years at most. I’d be fine with the OEM charger really if it actually charged.