Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point About being a base NVidia product . Like any processor the video card with the processor speed and memory as well as cooling has always been the limits of computing. But this animal has 2 processor and hopefully will be talking to each other for confirmation like an airplane. Tesla has redundancy in many parts of the car.

I am sure Tesla is working on HW3.5 or whatever it will be called but I think that is a separate issue. HW2/2.5 being based on nVidia products have a much higher chance of being obsoleted similar to AP1 than the HW3 FSD computer does, which supposedly is the first product Tesla really designed for the task of the FSD, and which is an in-house design.

So I think it would make sense for Tesla to try and cut HW2/2.5 loose by wrapping up EAP and moving all development to HW3+ (HW3 here including HW2/2.5 FSD computer retrofits), while mothballing HW2/2.5 development similar to AP1.

I’m sure there is some concurrent development but I agree we must tread carefully here. Back in 2016-2017 there was a wide belief Tesla had a separate ”FSD codebase” that would replace the crappy EAP codebase any day now... well, never happened of course and Tesla’s AP team and solution has been redone a couple of times since if we know correct...

The 9.x codebase was a major rewrite of the software used to support the NNs that yielded a performance improvement sufficient to let AP use the entire set of cameras instead of just a single front-facing camera, and changed from a bunch of procedural code to using neural networks for a lot of things that they were not used for in prior versions. That's the main reason why in 9.x, AutoPilot suddenly went from acting like a drunk driver to being able to navigate CA SR-17 moderately well. So I'd argue that this widely belief was, in fact, proven correct.

The 9.x codebase was a major rewrite of the software used to support the NNs that yielded a performance improvement sufficient to let AP use the entire set of cameras instead of just a single front-facing camera, and changed from a bunch of procedural code to using neural networks for a lot of things that they were not used for in prior versions. That's the main reason why in 9.x, AutoPilot suddenly went from acting like a drunk driver to being able to navigate CA SR-17 moderately well. So I'd argue that this widely belief was, in fact, proven correct.

First of all, that came out in late 2018. The FSD codebase expectation was from late 2016, early 2017 when it was much discussed. Second, by V9 time the Autopilot team had undergone several rounds of new management and indeed the AKnet switcharoo.

I think the ”FSD codebase” dream was mostly just a dream. But that was the only way to reconcile all the good Tesla was saying about EAP/FSD and how bad the reality of EAP/AP2 looked like in our cars, right? Who knew Tesla mostly spinned AP2 back then... We didn’t then, but that’s what it looks like today.

Back in 2016-2017 many people still thought there was a second code branch dramatically different from EAP. Today I think it is quite likely that AP2/3 is what it always has been, simply an evolution — there are no revolutions on the horizon, no matter how much robotaxis are promised just around the corner...

Sure, what Tesla has in the labs is a couple of Scrum sprints ahead of what is in public, and there is more ”FSD” today than there ever was in 2016-2017 in those labs, but I don’t expect a dramatic difference just waiting to be unveiled. That has not been the Tesla way so far.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emmz0r
Still have the old 3.9 version of the app..... why only a partial 3.10 release - oh, Photoshop, that's right....

Reactions: 82bert
I have to say I am fairly surprised they included Enhanced Summon. I am not sure this will prove to be wise. I guess it is not wide release yet so they could always pull it for actual wide release to the fleet (though I doubt they would).

I mostly want to know whether Enhanced AP people will be getting this now - but it sounds like it will be about a week (from Elon’s follow up reply).