Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I congratulate myself on an almost @Bladerskb level of foresight! ;)

Tesla and the end of quarter dance is nothing if not predictable.
I thought comparing yourself to a "senior software engr" trolling a competitor's forum would be embarrassing ;)

BTW, I've been predicting about Summon going out before the quarter end for a while now. It makes absolutely as much sense as trying to deliver as many vehicles as possible in a quarter (or in almost every company trying to finish up some work before the end of some kind of milestone).

Um there are no damages, I was simply responding to your incorrect comment that the user initiated the feature without sight of the vehicle.
at all times within your line of sight.
Tesla states that the user is responsible for keeping the vehicle and its surroundings in sight at all times. That means the user must cancel summon if the vehicle leaves their sight. I am looking forward to summon "fail" videos as much as anyone but I do hope no one gets hurt when people discover for themselves why Tesla puts these warnings in the instructions.

This is...weird...

Guys, don't panic!
The video just demonstrates a new v10 game: "hide and seek" - during the game the car will attempt to hide in a parking lot (hence the recently introduced faster summon speed) and the owner is supposed to find it as fast as possible. The game results (calculated as a function of the distance to the hidden car and time spent by the owner to find it) will be posted on a tesla board available to all owners.

So our cars have now demonstrated the ability to drive themselves in a relatively complex environment without hitting anything and we're immediately complaining it didn't take the optimum path? Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

BTW, if you expect a feature like this to be perfect off the bat...
It says right in the release notes that the car will hit things if you don’t stop it. The problem is not the path (it’s beta software!) but that the user used the feature incorrectly.
This is shaping up to be exactly like Autopilot, if used correctly it’s perfectly safe but when used incorrectly accidents will happen.

It says right in the release notes that the car will hit things if you don’t stop it. The problem is not the path (it’s beta software!) but that the user used the feature incorrectly.
This is shaping up to be exactly like Autopilot, if used correctly it’s perfectly safe but when used incorrectly accidents will happen.

Yeah, this is why we can't have nice things. Though I suspect the car will generally be smart enough not to hit stuff in normal scenarios, just like AP and you could see enough to know there was no traffic blah blah. There will be some specific cases it won't be able to deal with, which, in a parking lot it can just stop (vs on the highway it just gives up or does its best but can't just slam on the brakes) so from that perspective it might be far 'safer' than AP on edge case handling.

We'll find out pretty quickly how safe this is in the next couple of hrs, days...if we're luck weeks, until the first (EVER?) privately owned car without a driver hits something!

As you say, or the surroundings are not known (seeing the roof is not enough)! The summon should have been cancelled and the car retrieved manually at around 34 seconds into the video...when the car left the user's sight.
Ok, but this part reminds me of when I'd use my EAP off the freeway and everyone would scold me here. As a shareholder, the disclaimer is perfect... they get all the data while we carry the risk. But Tesla has most to lose if it chokes from PR and consumer trust, so I get the concerns this early.

Ok, but this part reminds me of when I'd use my EAP off the freeway and everyone would scold me here. As a shareholder, the disclaimer is perfect... they get all the data while we carry the risk. But Tesla has most to lose if it chokes from PR and consumer trust, so I get the concerns this early.
I would say it’s more like how you’ll get scolded around here for sleeping while using autopilot. If you can’t see the car then you can’t monitor it. Tomorrow is shaping up to be an exciting day in Tesla history!

Last edited:
I would say it’s more like how you’ll get scolded around here for sleeping while using autopilot. If you can’t see the car then you can’t monitor it. Tomorrow is shaping up to be an exciting day in Tesla history!

I think the risks will be about what others do (quickly) around the car. A TSLAQ type might even try to run in front and catch it on video (I give them a week).

Yup, very interesting. Hoping for another 5% tomorrow, (then reality hits and all I see on the news is a bunch of parking-gone-wild videos).

It sure is moving faster now... that's a relief.

but this part reminds me of when I'd use my EAP off the freeway and everyone would scold me here.

Yeah, the analogy here to using EAP outside of its ODD would be trying to use Smart Summon on a quiet public street, while monitoring the car carefully while it is in full view. I probably would not be too concerned about that use case - if it were chosen carefully.

Just letting a car that cannot drive itself without supervision off to do its own thing, out of sight, is asking for trouble.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Yeah, the analogy here to using EAP outside of its ODD would be trying to use Smart Summon on a quiet public street, while monitoring the car carefully while it is in full view. I probably would not be too concerned about that use case - if it were chosen carefully.

Just letting a car that cannot drive itself without supervision off to do its own thing, out of sight, is asking for trouble.

So SF to NY is out then?

Quick question about enhanced summon:

if I would sit in my car and use enhanced summon via the phone app to let my Tesla drive to a certain point, would that mean I have a self-driving vehicle?

What I mean is: can you do this or does it only work when the phone is located outside of the car?

Also: does it work anywhere or only on private roads/parking lots? I know there's a distance limit (but you'd reset the waypoint every minute) and a speed limit (so people will think you're an irresponsible 95 year old driver) but could I reach any point B from any point A this way?

(Just daydreaming looking for answers from people who have access to the function :rolleyes:)

if I would sit in my car and use enhanced summon via the phone app to let my Tesla drive to a certain point, would that mean I have a self-driving vehicle?

What I mean is: can you do this or does it only work when the phone is located outside of the car?

Also: does it work anywhere or only on private roads/parking lots? I know there's a distance limit (but you'd reset the waypoint every minute) and a speed limit (so people will think you're an irresponsible 95 year old driver) but could I reach any point B from any point A this way?

(Just daydreaming looking for answers from people who have access to the function :rolleyes:)

You can sit even in the driver's seat and use smart summon.

It will not go on a public road, though it works in all parking lots that aren't considered public roads. If you try to summon it from a parking lot to a public road it will stop and display "summon is not for use in public roads" on the app.

It would do nothing, og nudge 1 inch :) Since you are at the pickup spot inside the car. :)