Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. I hope they actually collect the data though.
Today I drove through heavy rain on AP. With my hands firmly on the wheel of course, but I felt that during the heavy rainfall that AP saw better than me. The lines were steady while I barely saw anything.

Yeah, I've been there, and 99% of the time it seems to see better than me. I have had a couple of times where a truck passed, covering the windshield and then neither of us could see. The differences is I guessed the road went straight and AP guess a hard right lol, hands on wheel!. Even if the lane following fails, I put it on TACC, the radar seems to have no issue seeing through the rain.

SO...I suspect FSD prices to go up shortly? Or does he wait for NoA city?

I know Elon did threaten to raise the price of FSD when V10 and Smart Summon was released. I don't know if they will. But I do suspect that the price will go up soon, probably by the end of this year. I predict that Tesla will release V10.1 with at least 1 FSD feature in a month or two from now. I base that prediction on a couple things. 1) Elon saying that V10.1 might have Smart Park. 2) There is precedent. If I recall, Tesla released NOA soon after introducing V9.0. 3) Tesla is coming up against their "end of the year" promise to release traffic light response and "automatic driving on city streets". So I have a feeling like Tesla will want to release something for FSD by the end of this year. If I am right, I could definitely see the price going up by the end of this year.

I know Elon did threaten to raise the price of FSD when V10 and Smart Summon was released. I don't know if they will. But I do suspect that the price will go up soon, probably by the end of this year. I predict that Tesla will release V10.1 with at least 1 FSD feature in a month or two from now. I base that prediction on a couple things. 1) Elon saying that V10.1 might have Smart Park. 2) There is precedent. If I recall, Tesla released NOA soon after introducing V9.0. 3) Tesla is coming up against their "end of the year" promise to release traffic light response and "automatic driving on city streets". So I have a feeling like Tesla will want to release something for FSD by the end of this year. If I am right, I could definitely see the price going up by the end of this year.
I just don't feel it in my bones that we are really this close to FSD. Real FSD will be a monumental inflection point in transportation - is 2019 the year when historians will say it began? I would think the early 2020s would be a more likely bet.

I was wondering the same. It seems to me that now would be a good time to start inching the price up. I think that city FSD is probably 9-12 months away. As the Beta videos of this start rolling out I'd expect the price to start increasing.

If they are targeting end of year for NoA-C then I suspect we'll start seeing leaks around christmas, even if rollout is later next year. I make that bet as they would NOT be trickling out HW3 updates if they weren't planning a early EAP release soon of at least parts of NoA-C. I would bet end of Q1 for wider EAP release (at the LATEST) which is like 6 months + testing time of 2-3 months before wide release. I suspect they are more likely to drop features than delay the release by more then 3-4 months. They need people to start using it to accelerate city data collection and keep investors happy.

My guess: First release will NOT have automatic turning, that is too big a chunk in my opinion. It will be stop at stop lights/signs, recommended lane changes and recommended turns (like the roll out for NoA). Pretty quickly they'll do auto lane changes through town since that is not much different than hwy. They will probably allow automatically starting after a green light a bit after than and then automatic 'supported' (single lane) roundabouts (debatable, but I think the rule set is simpler in round abouts...just don't hit stuff, stop if required). Then turns at supported stop signs, then right turns and right entrances to parking lots...I can't see left turns coming until late in the game.

So given that, I can't see them waiting THAT long for increasing FSD pricing, unless they really wanna pull that demand lever.

I just don't feel it in my bones that we are really this close to FSD. Real FSD will be a monumental inflection point in transportation - is 2019 the year when historians will say it began? I would think the early 2020s would be a more likely bet.

I think Tesla has shown they are really smart at finding operational domains they can wedge in autopilot features and then wiggle them bigger and bigger. 5 Years ago I would have agreed with you, but today I think they will continue to wiggle and there will be no obvious inflection point. If anything, Advanced Summon is that point. Cars driving in complex environments with no drivers...Consult your 10 year old self to see if that counts as an inflection point.

Reactions: tmoz
The cool thing is tesla will get that information, and for every accident...and then work towards making sure they never happen again. Humans can't do that. It really can't be long until a smart summon is statistically much safer in a parking lot.

Do you think Tesla detected this accident via instrumentation?

I hope they actually collect the data though.

You can rest assured that Smart Summon likely has a lower accident per mile traveled in parking lots, as compared to human drivers. And isn’t that all the data we need? ;) Maybe Tesla will put it in their quarterly report.

Seriously, it’s a bit early to be talking about SS being better at this parking lot thing than humans.

Some "parlor trick".

summonreddit.PNG

Bring it in guys, group hug!

SO...I suspect FSD prices to go up shortly? Or does he wait for NoA city?
Won't go up immediately. They will wait and see what happens to the FSD option take rate. Currently it is lower than their target - if it gets above the target, they will increase the price.

Tesla's price changes are mostly to balance Margin & ASP, given the production.

I'm more optimistic than ever about the future of autonomous driving now!

Really? what autonomous problems facing the industry has this smart summon implementation actually solved?

Nothing.

Look at this... Its rudimentary at best
Roddie Hasan - راضي on Twitter

Having said that, I'm all for more advanced semi autonomy aslong as its not marketed as "self driving" but as "driver assistance".

It's interesting about the parking lines for sure. It seemed to have a decent understanding of where it should be driving most of the time but you're right - it seems to randomly decide at other times to cut right through parking spaces.

I will say that I'm more impressed with it than I thought I'd be.
So, here is my guess of how it works.

Tesla uses maps of parking lots. When you summon - Tesla servers make a route determination and send it to the car. The car tries to follow the route - if it encounters obstacles not in the map, like a curb - I guess it will ask the server for an alternate route.

So, in general, if the map is perfect, the route won't cross parking spots etc. If there are problems with the map - the car will take weird routes.

ps : For a long, long time, this is how any kind of FSD will work. FSD will be based on some kind of map data … driving purely by vision will have to wait. Even humans don't do that anymore.

Really? what autonomous problems facing the industry has this smart summon implementation actually solved?

Nothing.

Look at this... Its rudimentary at best

Having said that, I'm all for more advanced semi autonomy aslong as its not marketed as "self driving" but as "driver assistance".
Fun thing about summon videos is that you can pick the video to support your position ;)

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks

I am saying we will get a piece of what Tesla is marking as "FSD", like traffic light response this year. I am not saying we will get full autonomy this year.

DirtyTesla on Twitter

David F Guajardo on Twitter

AB on Twitter

Tesla released this feature less than 24 hours ago. It has only been rolled out to a portion of the fleet. There have already been multiple confirmed accidents.

This is dangerous garbage. Even when it "works," the videographers make piles of apologies for its poor and erratic behavior -- even in completely empty parking lots.

The only people whose "minds are blown" are people who have never been in an actual L4 prototype vehicle. There are multiple L4 companies that together have driven ~20 million miles, with fewer at-fault accidents than Enhanced Summon has had in 24 hours.

I have instructed my family to literally run away from any Tesla that seems to be driving oddly. I have a 14 month old toddler, and I literally fear for her life now.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
DirtyTesla on Twitter

David F Guajardo on Twitter

AB on Twitter

Tesla released this feature less than 24 hours ago. It has only been rolled out to a portion of the fleet. There have already been multiple confirmed accidents.

I am a skeptic as well, but can you source the claim above? The third link provides no evidence that it has anything to do with Summon. Obviously #2 is an accident that would very likely not have happened with a human driver, but the Tesla was not (legally) at fault. (It was pretty negligent on the owner’s part though.)

I am interested in (though not happy to see) more Summon incident videos; the more we see the better people will understand the limitations.

Do you work for Tesla?