Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if you have a terrible management culture.
Even great managers make mistakes, and it takes courage to speak up in such circumstances. A good boss will sometimes push back very hard, so as to gauge your commitment to your position.

BOSS: "Here is my plan, I need you to execute it."

OPTION A:

ME: "I will not, this plan is bad for the company."
BOSS: "OK, we'll come up with another plan."

OPTION B:
ME: "I will not, this is a bad plan."
BOSS: "I disagree, do it anyway."
ME: "I'm very serious."
BOSS: "OK, we'll come up with another plan."

OPTION C:
BOSS: "Do it anyway."
ME: "No."
BOSS: "Do it, or you're fired."
ME: "Let's take this to the VP and let them decide."
BOSS: "...what was your plan again?"

sounds like they got off pretty easy if part of the language of the settlement was.. "create a crappy charging network"
They got off easy _later_, because the EPA and CARB didn't put in any firm uptime rules.
If you read the maintenance sections of Cycle 1 through Cycle 3 agreements, you see the wording getting bigger but still hand-waving.

The Feds learned from the EA problems and included an uptime requirement in the NEVI rules.

Finally for Cycle 4 the CARB board pushed back after the draft and were establishing some kind of reliability metrics and requirements.
I haven't checked what the EPA agreed.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
Option D for "bosses" that know they have awesome employees, and employees that know they have skills:
BOSS: "Do it anyway."
ME: "No."
BOSS: "Do it, or you're fired."
ME: "No problem, I quit. I want to work somewhere that values my opinion as an expert in this field."
BOSS: "Wait, what? You are critical to this project, you can't quit!"

Why does a "Boss" keep someone around if they don't value their input and will just override with a "do it anyway or get fired?" Clearly you should have fired them a while ago, which makes you a bad manager for keeping non-valuable people on the team.

If there was profit motivations (ie reducing expenses), it would be far better to sell the entire team than fire them.

I was at Springfield NJ service center and I asked them why is their next available appointment on July 29, a 40 day wait. The tech said the layoffs coupled with increased expectations for repairs on remaining staff has caused ever increasing wait times. Guess what happens when the queue needs to be flushed? Repair quality goes down in favor of rushing the car off the queue or even dismissing the customer concern.

I was at Springfield NJ service center and I asked them why is their next available appointment on July 29, a 40 day wait. The tech said the layoffs coupled with increased expectations for repairs on remaining staff has caused ever increasing wait times. Guess what happens when the queue needs to be flushed? Repair quality goes down in favor of rushing the car off the queue or even dismissing the customer concern.
and insurance rates keep going up ... because insurers hate having to pony up $ for 40 days of rental cars... before the repair even starts

I was reading the latest class action suit against tesla who is making insurance companies and/or owners pay use repair costs because of exclusivity. Owners are starting to become concerned with the repair waits and costs which have caused owners to question whether they will ever purchase a tesla again.
It’s no difference than what’s happening with the amount superchargers location in Canada where every completed supercharger has been completed and sitting there for 6 months to a year without power. No one knows what’s going on causing owners like myself to delay and question the purchase of another tesla.

I was reading the latest class action suit against tesla who is making insurance companies and/or owners pay use repair costs because of exclusivity. Owners are starting to become concerned with the repair waits and costs which have caused owners to question whether they will ever purchase a tesla again.
It’s no difference than what’s happening with the amount superchargers location in Canada where every completed supercharger has been completed and sitting there for 6 months to a year without power. No one knows what’s going on causing owners like myself to delay and question the purchase of another tesla.
we have a Tesla Model 3 and a Mazda CX5 insured under our family plan. The premium of the Tesla keeps going up, the premium for the Mazda keeps going down. Both are ~same residual value. Go figure. Currently the Tesla is $200 / 6months *more* to insure than the Mazda.

we have a Tesla Model 3 and a Mazda CX5 insured under our family plan. The premium of the Tesla keeps going up, the premium for the Mazda keeps going down. Both are ~same residual value. Go figure. Currently the Tesla is $200 / 6months *more* to insure than the Mazda.
Well check out the story and part of the lawsuit at this link.

The title I gave to the link is in short form, based on the headline of the article. I don't know whether you read the article itself, but the study covers both "maintenance and repairs".
there's repair for wear and tear (where Tesla has fewer parts and the parts aren't stupid $) and there are repairs for accidents. Where Tesla is backlogged for months and even a minor accident or any damage to the battery connection can quickly total the car.

insurers do not cover nor care about wear & tear repair costs

they very much care about accident repair costs and there's plenty of articles out how quickly Tesla's are totaled because lack of body shops, high repair bills and excessive wait times...

there's repair for wear and tear (where Tesla has fewer parts and the parts aren't stupid $) and there are repairs for accidents. Where Tesla is backlogged for months and even a minor accident or any damage to the battery connection can quickly total the car.

insurers do not cover nor care about wear & tear repair costs

they very much care about accident repair costs and there's plenty of articles out how quickly Tesla's are totaled because lack of body shops, high repair bills and excessive wait times...
Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.