Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error rolling out of Tesla Lot with brand NEW MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my first Tesla yesterday, a 2023 MY with 3 miles on Odometer....turned out of the lot and got onto the highway, immediately see an error saying "Power Reduced: Okay to Drive" and another saying "Speed Limited to 61"....I checked settings to see if the Speed Limiter was turned on (it wasn't), so I kept driving as I needed to get back to work, once I got there I let it sit for an hour and tried again, same problem. Official error is "DIR_a126". Looking that up (hardly any results), says that it is a Coolant Leak or issue and that I have to take it in for service.

I am pretty PO that a brand new car has an error right away....was there no factory certification or anything? They should have seen this. Doesn't leave a very good first impression on me.....

Open a service request in the Tesla app. Be sure to include the error code or codes in the description.

LPT: If Tesla determines that the Tesla vehicle should not be driven, needs to be towed to a Tesla Service center then Tesla's policy is that all Tesla vehicles towed into the Tesla Service Center need to be evaluated by a Tesla Service technician for needed repairs within 24 hours (not including weekends.)

Be polite but firm when requesting a loaner vehicle if the needed repairs will take longer than a day.

My personal impression is that Tesla is crowdsourcing final quality inspections to consumers. Franchise dealers do the final quality checks and resolve everything before they put the cars on the lots. Tesla lets their buyers do this. The upside is that they do fix everything, and this probably helps lower the cost of the car a little. But, it puts the burden of everything on the buyer.

UPDATE: I went into Service Mode and saw the true error.

DIR_a045_outletSensor
Drive Inverter Warning: Outlet Sensor Bad
Unable to monitor DI coolant outlet sensor temperature

I have made an appointment, but it's not until the 11th of August. I would hope they could get me in sooner since I literally just drove this off of the lot....oh well.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Yeah, so Tesla is going the whole Microsoft route with its products, making the consumer the Beta Tester. Awesome...

Yup, it has been this way since day one. The joy of being an unpaid beta tester for self driving technology! But when Tesla gets hundreds (thousands?) of people begging to be Beta Testers for FSD, who can blame them for taking advantage of it?

Keith

Another Update: I drove it again after opening a service request and the error did not alert me and did not seem to limit my speed (albeit I couldn't get up to 60 on city streets)....went into Service Mode again after parking and I do still see the error there as an Active Error, but I am curious why it didn't alert me while driving again.

Thank you all for the comments, I am sure they will take care of me, and yes it is just a hassle.

Reactions: richyrich
did not seem to limit my speed (albeit I couldn't get up to 60 on city streets)

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that sounds peculiar. I can hit 60mph practically by the end of my driveway (exaggerating).

Are you saying it's accelerating very slowly, or that it still seems to be speed limited?

Perhaps it *is* still speed limited from the error, it's just no longer showing the error on the screen (might you have cleared it, if that's possible?)

For what it's worth, it's not like this car was driven for the *first time ever* when you drove it off the lot. If the car had the error when they were moving it around at the delivery center or had a stored code from being moved on/off the transport trucks/trains, they would have notified you prior, and probably rescheduled so it would be fixed ahead of time.

This is just bad luck that it happened as soon as you took ownership of the vehicle, unfortunately.

A sensor failed, consider it infant mortality. It's more bad luck than anything - "Factory certification" occurred on the assembly line, and it left without any error codes.

My personal impression is that Tesla is crowdsourcing final quality inspections to consumers. Franchise dealers do the final quality checks and resolve everything before they put the cars on the lots. Tesla lets their buyers do this. The upside is that they do fix everything, and this probably helps lower the cost of the car a little. But, it puts the burden of everything on the buyer.
My Audi Q5 had scratches from front drivers door all the way to rear bumper when I went to pick it up. I found out right before leaving the dealer lot, and I turned around and made them fix it.

My Audi Q5 had scratches from front drivers door all the way to rear bumper when I went to pick it up. I found out right before leaving the dealer lot, and I turned around and made them fix it.
I am talking about standard practices and process more than anecdotes. Most premium franchise dealers do a thorough pre-delivery inspection that goes over every aspect of a car before before a consumer sees it. If they see finish, fit, mechanical, etc. issues, they resolve them before putting the car on the lot for public viewing. Tesla, by contrast, appears to have a have a basic-to-none version of the PDI that they crowdsource to the consumers.

Yup, it has been this way since day one. The joy of being an unpaid beta tester for self driving technology! But when Tesla gets hundreds (thousands?) of people begging to be Beta Testers for FSD, who can blame them for taking advantage of it?

Keith
This problem has absolutely nothing to do with FSD. The Tesla drive trains have been remarkably problem free.

I am talking about standard practices and process more than anecdotes. Most premium franchise dealers do a thorough pre-delivery inspection that goes over every aspect of a car before before a consumer sees it. If they see finish, fit, mechanical, etc. issues, they resolve them before putting the car on the lot for public viewing. Tesla, by contrast, appears to have a have a basic-to-none version of the PDI that they crowdsource to the consumers.
Legacy dealers (premium brand or not), they do absolutely minimum as far as the PDI goes.

Legacy dealers (premium brand or not), they do absolutely minimum as far as the PDI goes.

That post has nothing to do with PDI and industry PDI quality. That is an anecdote about a potentially unscrupulous dealer and car abuse.

1691007806771.png

My 2017 Chevy SS ( albeit Australia made - Holden) had several blemishes that an amateur eye did not catch.
Went to get it diamond coated the next day, and learned that there is damaged rear window seal, and damage bumper cover equally on both sides as if someone attempted to flat screw driver "reattach" it in place .

Made me wonder if that car was damaged in transport and the dealer tried to hide it.

They repaired it, but the feeling of driving a "salvaged title" brand new car never went away

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that sounds peculiar. I can hit 60mph practically by the end of my driveway (exaggerating).

Are you saying it's accelerating very slowly, or that it still seems to be speed limited?

Perhaps it *is* still speed limited from the error, it's just no longer showing the error on the screen (might you have cleared it, if that's possible?)
Oh it will accelerate very quickly, just hits 60 and stays there. I was simply mentioning that I cannot safely do it on city streets with other traffic going 35. In any event, the error came back again.

I did try driving on the Interstate and it wouldn't let me go past 60, which was dangerous as other vehicles were flying by me going 80+ and I had a semi on my tail honking....I couldn't physically go any faster, I felt like I should have put on my hazards....(won't be driving on the Interstate anymore, that's for sure)

I do hope this is something that an OTA fix can solve, but if it is a bad sensor like the error says, I doubt it.

Issues on new vehicles is not specific to Tesla - a quick google will find you plenty with other brands - 5 seconds got me a Porsche Taycan nightmare - Porsche is “premium” right? https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-problematic-car-ive-ever-owned-by-far.15584/