Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimate Trade-In Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience has been that Tesla offers similar money to what other "buy now" places like Car Max offer. If the person I was responding to feels like he can get a better price on his trade there's no reason to cancel his Model S order over a low offer.
I'm sure many have expected experiences which part of the reason for Tesla's success. Not getting tax credit for a Porsche can be excessive/expensive reason to pass.

Doesn't Tesla specify that the trade-in offers are good for 30 days only? Is your complaint about Testa not honoring the quoted price within the 30 day period, or that they adjusted the revised quote lower than your expectation after 30 days?

If the former, I understand your complaint. If the latter, Tesla has not done anything to mislead, outside of not delivering your new car within the 30 day period, right?
When I ordered my Teslas, both times, the dates and trade-in values change within 24 hours of receiving my $250 non-refundable deposits. The website didn't and I kept checking for a week or two. And there's plenty of posting and threads on this community alone about this exact complaint. Look, I love my Tesla and I love Elon, but that doesn't mean I should keep my head in the sand about anything that revolves around either. Tesla is definitely misleading people with both trade-in values and reasonable deliver dates.

When I ordered my Teslas, both times, the dates and trade-in values change within 24 hours of receiving my $250 non-refundable deposits. The website didn't and I kept checking for a week or two. And there's plenty of posting and threads on this community alone about this exact complaint. Look, I love my Tesla and I love Elon, but that doesn't mean I should keep my head in the sand about anything that revolves around either. Tesla is definitely misleading people with both trade-in values and reasonable deliver dates.
It's unfortunate that the quotes are being adjusted on the fly even within the 30 day timeframe. They are obviously reacting to wholesale prices tanking day-by-day.

I had a super positive experience with my Tesla-for-Tesla trade-in several months ago. The came in at the highest quoted price (compared to Carmax, Carvana, Shift, local car dealership), and even adjusted the price up above the quote during the actual transaction. Zero complaints whatsoever about my experience.

I appreciate the suggestions. But one never expects to get a trade or sale to a dealer equal to a sale to an individual. The difference is, at least in some States, the tax advantage. At a trade value of $116.5k it was a wash, as I stated in my original post. $99k is a difference of $18,725 in the out the door price.
Tesla should have said that the deal has changed and let me take the new deal or return my $250.

Here's an analogy.

I'm selling a widget for $1000. You an I text, talk, and email and you decide you want to buy it. You give me a $100 non-refundable deposit and we agree to meet at Joe's Hardware in two days to complete the sale. Upon arriving at Joe's I tell you that due to inflation and supply issues the price is now $1240. You decide that's too much, turn down the deal, and ask for your $100 back.

I'm an honest guy and I realize that the deal was agreed upon at $1000 and give you you $100. You go away disappointed but you still have your $100.

On the other hand I'm Tesla and I don't care what I told you two days ago. I'm keeping the $100.

I'm about to get my butt kicked!!

It's unfortunate that the quotes are being adjusted on the fly even within the 30 day timeframe. They are obviously reacting to wholesale prices tanking day-by-day.

I had a super positive experience with my Tesla-for-Tesla trade-in several months ago. The came in at the highest quoted price (compared to Carmax, Carvana, Shift, local car dealership), and even adjusted the price up above the quote during the actual transaction. Zero complaints whatsoever about my experience.
Is CA a tax credit state on trades? And that's awesome that you had a great experience. I'm not trying to start a fight or divide anyone. I just want those who haven't had good experiences with Tesla to know, they're not crazy

Reactions: Team Geezer
Is CA a tax credit state on trades? And that's awesome that you had a great experience. I'm not trying to start a fight or divide anyone. I just want those who haven't had good experiences with Tesla to know, they're not crazy
Yes Calif is a Tax Credit State on Trades. So when making a decision on Trade vs Public Sale you must account for the loss of the sales tax advantage of a trade vs outside sales

Noob here! Been lurking around for a few years and just decided it was time to have a Tesla. I have a 2 year old Porsche Taycan with a current market value of $125-130K. I submitted a trade valuation thru the Tesla website and was quoted $110-120K. I went ahead and initiated a purchase for a Model s Plaid for $147k and was quoted $116.5K for the trade, making it a wash against selling it for $125k. I put down my $250 deposit and made the "deal".

Today Tesla comes back and says $99K is the actual offer.

Goodbye $250. And goodbye Tesla.

Grumpy here.
wow. I, too, thought Tesla was the future of car purchase “experience”. But no. Or yes! Where else will you sign a contract, pay $250, promise to pay ~$2000 to cancel, then let your merchant manipulate the transaction. Look, Tesla is no different … I call a typical deal with trade in a ”spot” market. Unfortunately, there is nothing we individual buyers can do. Or we could via big brother, or a benevolent swift class action to leverage the tesla and their like. Or boycott. I hate the business, but the engineers do produce a remarkable product.

consider completing the story what was the final spot value? Good experience?

I placed my order on 1/15, and submitted my trade-in information. I did not hear back from Tesla so I called their 1-888518-3752 number and spoke with a rep. about this delay. Within 15 minutes I had a Trade-in value. I am scheduled to take delivery on Tuesday, 1/24.

wow. I, too, thought Tesla was the future of car purchase “experience”. But no. Or yes! Where else will you sign a contract, pay $250, promise to pay ~$2000 to cancel, then let your merchant manipulate the transaction. Look, Tesla is no different … I call a typical deal with trade in a ”spot” market. Unfortunately, there is nothing we individual buyers can do. Or we could via big brother, or a benevolent swift class action to leverage the tesla and their like. Or boycott. I hate the business, but the engineers do produce a remarkable product.

consider completing the story what was the final spot value? Good experience?
I agree. I had to put down a $1500 deposit. $1000 transport and $500 deposit. That was based on a trade estimate of $28600-$31600. Then 48 hours later they tell me it’s $26500. When I expressed my displeasure with the process he said “that’s not my problem. Are you going to take it or leave it”.

Im actually in awe of the fact that people have allowed this to happen for as long as it has and not begged government agencies to step in to modify their practices a bit to be more consumer friendly.