Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question to all members, with the addition of ccs charging to existing type two supercharger stalls. Observed today a Model 3 backed up to the end stall and connected while another Tesla was in the stall charging, is this acceptable considering the position of the charging port requires the Model 3 to occupy parking spaces not allocated for charging and the reduction in charging rate?

• Helpful
Reactions: Zsik3115
Yes the two cars were both using the same single supercharger . Would it not be correct to wait for a stall to be available ?
No, the shared stall is there for a reason. If there are unshared stalls then of course one should always choose them first, but there is nothing wrong with someone picking up the second stall. The superchargers are designed to give priority to the first person connected so they'll still get the better charging rate of the two until they leave, and then the second person will get the higher charging rate. Generally one will taper anyway as the SOC increases at some stage and the other will pick up speed when there are 2 on the stall.

Many people dont understand how charging works. They see a lead, they plug it in.

That may be the case, but if all charging bays have at least 1 car connected to them, it's unreasonable to expect people to wait rather than connect to the second/spare charge lead. Same as when I fill my ICE car up at the servo; if I am the only one using the fuel pump, it fills my car quickly. If someone comes along and want to use the other fuel nozzle, it slows my nozzle down but one would not expect them to wait until you are done before they start filling up.

That may be the case, but if all charging bays have at least 1 car connected to them, it's unreasonable to expect people to wait rather than connect to the second/spare charge lead. Same as when I fill my ICE car up at the servo; if I am the only one using the fuel pump, it fills my car quickly. If someone comes along and want to use the other fuel nozzle, it slows my nozzle down but one would not expect them to wait until you are done before they start filling up.

This is not how superchargers work, If someone is charging from stall 1A and I arrive and connect to 1B, The persons car at 1A doesnt experience any drop in charge rate, Car 1B effectively gets the left over power which will ramp up as 1A reaches a higher state of charge and ramps down.

Superchargers are so quick these days and sometimes it doesnt give you enough time to go to the bathroom and get something to eat... If you are in this position, You should share a stall so that your car takes longer to charge and you will have more time to get what you need to get done, You are also leaving the other bays free for someone who wants to charge at a faster rate. It's win/win...

Yes I Agree. My point was if the plug is there it should be used. As for your fuel pump problem, I solved that one 4 years ago with a really simple hack. Got rid of the ICE car.

Obviously there still seems to be confusion here about the meaning of stall sharing, 2 cars cannot use the same leads on 1 supercharger stall at the same time!

Stall Sharing

e.g - At a 6 stall supercharger, the stalls are paired (shared power) and are labelled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A & 3B.
If there are only 2 cars charging, using stalls 1A & 3A, in theory, the cars will receive their maximum charging rate, depending on SoC, battery size, temp etc.
If the 2 cars charging are using stalls 1A & 1B, they're using a paired stall and the max charging rate is reduced because the power output is shared between the 2 cars.

Here's a YouTube video that explains it pretty well

BTW, none of the above applies to V3 (250kW) superchargers, but there are currently none of those in Australia.

Obviously there still seems to be confusion here about the meaning of stall sharing, 2 cars cannot use the same leads on 1 supercharger stall at the same time!

Stall Sharing

e.g - At a 6 stall supercharger, the stalls are paired (shared power) and are labelled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A & 3B.
If there are only 2 cars charging, using stalls 1A & 3A, in theory, the cars will receive their maximum charging rate, depending on SoC, battery size, temp etc.
If the 2 cars charging are using stalls 1A & 1B, they're using a paired stall and the max charging rate is reduced because the power output is shared between the 2 cars.

Here's a YouTube video that explains it pretty well

BTW, none of the above applies to V3 (250kW) superchargers, but there are currently none of those in Australia.

This post ought to be stickied somewhere

Point noted and acknowledged. I haven't used the superchargers much as I only recently received my Model 3, but have used various other chargers that do have 2 leads and would allow dual charging; this is what i was referencing with my comments above. Thanks for setting me straight regarding specifically the superchargers and the 2 x leads on them.

Would be great if you didn't use bold type and red text to inform someone of this moving forward as to me, it makes you seem slightly obnoxious and rude.

Interesting information and comments, Situation that started thread was observed at Richmond supercharger and enquiring with on site technician confirmed both vehicles were receiving charging. My concern was basically the occupation of additional parking spaces while charging with consideration of the problems associated with ICEING.Surely little is achieved by the inconsiderate occupation of two carpark spaces rather than patiently awaiting a stall to be free.

Interesting information and comments, Situation that started thread was observed at Richmond supercharger and enquiring with on site technician confirmed both vehicles were receiving charging. My concern was basically the occupation of additional parking spaces while charging with consideration of the problems associated with ICEING.Surely little is achieved by the inconsiderate occupation of two carpark spaces rather than patiently awaiting a stall to be free.
Regardless of whether you can charge one or two vehicles from the one bowser, how can you park the misplaced vehicle so as the lead reaches to plug in? Even if it could, it doesn't make sense if there is a bowser on the correct side (which could be used in the same manner if there was a space on the other side). :confused:o_O
Edit: Just read the original post. If it was in Richmond, then so what? The parking space of the second vehicle was for Tesla customer parking and if the second lead worked, then the bowser must be designed for that to occur.

Last edited: