Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU directive reducing max charge rate to 60kw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was post on the TOG Facebook group where someone had experienced low charge rates in France recently. He also met someone over there who had contacted Tesla and been told that an EU directive has rolled out and restricted lots of locations to 60kw.

We've planned a long trip to the south of France next summer but if the above is true. It may need a re-think.

Anyone heard or seen anything to that effect please? I had a quick Google but didn't find anything

We're also going to France so I had a good Google trying to validate that but, like you, came up with nothing. Maybe contact Tesla to see if you get the same story. I'll be ok with 60 kW (in fact I wish it were settable because I do wonder if pumping 150 kW into the car battery does it any good!)

In any case, why would the EU want such a restriction?

Just had a scan through all the applicable Directives I can find on Europa and can't find any reference to it at all. Might be a draft discussion document that's kicking around in one of the sub-groups, but it doesn't seem to be anything that's made it through as a Directive.

Reactions: ACarneiro
It does sound odd and I'm wondering if it was a throw away excuse from Tesla to cover something else.

If there is any truth in it, it might nobble our schedule. We are heading down from the Midlands, tunnel and then need to get to the Burgundy area for 9pm latest. Then down to Perpignan the next day. I've not finished planning it but I reckon we'll need to supercharge 3 possibly 4 times on day one. Adding 40 or 50 minutes to each stop won't help!

I don't supercharge much and like you I do worry that 3 or 4 hits in one day might not be for the best but got to be done. I'm probably worrying unduly but still getting to grips with the new technology

Just had a scan through all the applicable Directives I can find on Europa and can't find any reference to it at all. Might be a draft discussion document that's kicking around in one of the sub-groups, but it doesn't seem to be anything that's made it through as a Directive.
Thanks for checking. We need more feedback from recent travellers so hopefully a few more people will be able to comment

We need more feedback from recent travellers so hopefully a few more people will be able to comment

Yesterday I returned from a one week holiday in Paris (Disneyland Paris to be exact) and was able to charge with max 118kW (Model S 2018) at Lille SuC, Senlis SuC and Marne-La-Vallée SuC. I did get a notification at Marne-La-Vallée SuC that charging was set to 80% by default because it was a ‘high usage’ SuC. I was able and allowed to change the charge limit to 90% or even 100%. I was not limited in regards to the charging speed. I’m not aware of any future charging speed limitations and I honesty hope this will not become a reality.

Yesterday I returned from a one week holiday in Paris (Disneyland Paris to be exact) and was able to charge with max 118kW (Model S 2018) at Lille SuC, Senlis SuC and Marne-La-Vallée SuC. I did get a notification at Marne-La-Vallée SuC that charging was set to 80% by default because it was a ‘high usage’ SuC. I was able and allowed to change the charge limit to 90% or even 100%. I was not limited in regards to the charging speed. I’m not aware of any future charging speed limitations and I honesty hope this will not become a reality.
We’ve been back from Paris for a week now. We charged at Senlis twice, and at the French Eurotunnel terminal, and was getting 110kW+ at both locations from a ~20% SOC.

So if there is any truth in this, it has yet to be implemented.

Total bollocks if you all me. Tesla employees must go on some training course as part of their induction to learn how to spin imaginative excuses when customers complain. I've heard a bunch of other excuses on various threads and to be honest this one isn't the craziest - by a long margin.

• Informative
Reactions: Banksy888
Total bollocks if you all me. Tesla employees must go on some training course as part of their induction to learn how to spin imaginative excuses when customers complain. I've heard a bunch of other excuses on various threads and to be honest this one isn't the craziest - by a long margin.
The link to anyone from Tesla saying this is fourth-hand at best, don’t perpetuate the myth