Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a report in Polish newspapers that Tesla registered companies in Poland and Czechia and is in final stages of preparation to launch in these two markets. It has a confirmation quote from Even Sandvold from Tesla PR office in Oslo (?).

They will start with service centers but they will also handle sales and online orders will also be enabled.

Source: Tesla zaparkuje w Polsce. Otworzy serwis samochodowy

Does anyone know / remember how long it took from 1st reports (e.g. company registration) to actual openings when Tesla was entering other markets? It's probably no indicator as every market is slightly different, but just curious.
Yeah this is pretty much confirmed. Polish and Czech Reddit users found the new companies in local business databases. I think the Czech subsidiary was registered mid December and the Polish on January 4. they also have open positions for these 2 countries on Tesla`s career site. (May be a bit hard to find as the location is called "remote", but you can use Ctrl+F on the career page with the country name.

Rumor has it the Polish store will open in February as per the Reddit thread.

• Informative
Reactions: sweter
FR.PNG

EV Sales: France December 2018

Looks like Tesla is starting to gain some traction in France. Model X ended up in the 21st slot with 505 registrations for 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Tesla has a bright future in Germany.

Finally the tax on private use of company cars has been cut in half for EVs. Suddenly employees are approaching me and are asking for an EV as a company car. Even people who hadn't wanted a company car in the past.

We are now at a point where we will offer only EVs, no more ICEs will be purchased in our company. This is just the beginning.

Example: An employee making 3.500 Euro (gross) would have to pay tax on 1.050 Euros (1 % of 105.000 Euro purchase price) per month to drive my Model S (situation up to 2018). No way would this work.

Today she can get a M3 long range and pay tax on 300 Euro (0.5 % of 60.000 Euro purchase price). If the tax rate is 30 % the car is costing her 100 Euro per month and puts a smile on her face. Company pays for electricity, insurance, rubber; no yearly vehicle tax on EVs.

I can see sales of Teslas taking off here in Germany in the near future.

Finally the tax on private use of company cars has been cut in half for EVs. Suddenly employees are approaching me and are asking for an EV as a company car. Even people who hadn't wanted a company car in the past.

We are now at a point where we will offer only EVs, no more ICEs will be purchased in our company. This is just the beginning.

Example: An employee making 3.500 Euro (gross) would have to pay tax on 1.050 Euros (1 % of 105.000 Euro purchase price) per month to drive my Model S (situation up to 2018). No way would this work.

Today she can get a M3 long range and pay tax on 300 Euro (0.5 % of 60.000 Euro purchase price). If the tax rate is 30 % the car is costing her 100 Euro per month and puts a smile on her face. Company pays for electricity, insurance, rubber; no yearly vehicle tax on EVs.

I believe you, but how does that math work? Who is paying for the car?

I believe you, but how does that math work? Who is paying for the car?

The employer is paying for the car. As part of his salary, the employee receives a company car. This is intended to increase the employee's loyalty to the company.

The employee is taxed for the privilege to use the car not only for company business, but for private trips - thus replacing the family car.

The employer is paying for the car. As part of his salary, the employee receives a company car. This is intended to increase the employee's loyalty to the company.

The employee is taxed for the privilege to use the car not only for company business, but for private trips - thus replacing the family car.
Yeah, company car is quite usual in Europe as part of the pay package, and in North America it's privilege of mostly executives, and of mid/large companies at that. Some sales people and on-the-road people may get one too.
I'm commenting on this as it's hard for NA people to understand strength of this phenomenon and difference in purchasing habits it creates. I've seen comments in the past that large chunk of new car sales are company cars, in some European countries

Reactions: NicoV

@Reciprocity - can you post this info in Twitter?

Is the Model 3 in the same price range as current company cars?

Yeah, company car is quite usual in Europe as part of the pay package, and in North America it's privilege of mostly executives, and of mid/large companies at that. Some sales people and on-the-road people may get one too.
I'm commenting on this as it's hard for NA people to understand strength of this phenomenon and difference in purchasing habits it creates. I've seen comments in the past that large chunk of new car sales are company cars, in some European countries

In Europe, the taxes are high on both companies and people, so to maximize the savings to both, a company takes on the cost of a car lease (company deduction) and the employee gets a salary benefit without the tax burden they would normally have to have the increased pay. It's one reason I keep telling people in the US you can't directly compare salaries in the US to Europe because there are so many benefits unaccounted for.

Tesla Germany should hire 10 people to aggressively push this option to companies.

Is the Model 3 in the same price range as current company cars?

Depends on the rank of the person in the company, usually people are given a range of cars to choose from (ie. low level will get Camry, Sentra, Accura) mid level will get M3's, A6's and top tier people get top 80k+ cars.

If Tesla can get the LEMAR to Europe asap in non-performance it's very possible that would sell very well.

As far as leasing pricing, I checked in Belgium where I have work experience and it was right over 1,000/month to lease a TM3 currently in the cheapest version. You could get some extra tax benefits from the car but I don't' feel like digging through the websites to figure them out.

Depends on the rank of the person in the company, usually people are given a range of cars to choose from (ie. low level will get Camry, Sentra, Accura) mid level will get M3's, A6's and top tier people get top 80k+ cars.

If Tesla can get the LEMAR to Europe asap in non-performance it's very possible that would sell very well.

As far as leasing pricing, I checked in Belgium where I have work experience and it was right over 1,000/month to lease a TM3 currently in the cheapest version. You could get some extra tax benefits from the car but I don't' feel like digging through the websites to figure them out.

Most employees get a budget that their lease car has to fit in and a list of approved vendors/car models. Currently, you see a lot of BMW, Audi and Mercedes lease cars because of the high resale value (which lowers the monthly lease compared to a similarly priced car from other vendors (let’s say Opel or Renault)) and low (Diesel) fuel cost. Most companies are not prepared for EV’s yet: They haven’t taken the lower fuel consumption and lower taxes into account, i.e. their lease budget for EVs should be a lot higher. Lease companies also haven’t IMO taken into account the high resale value and low maintenance cost. Both parties will take these factors into account as they get more experience with this, but I guess this might take a couple of years.
My friends also complain about high leas prices for Model 3, but when I explain the factors above, they suddenly realise that the costs for the company aren’t necessarily bigger than the cost of their leased BMW.
The biggest issue is charging and who is going to pay for that. Practically nobody knows that there are chargers available where a third party sends an invoice to the company, and reimburses the employee for their home charging costs, based on the actual charges happening on that charger. Most employees think they will have to pay for then electricty themselves. So the charging cost issue IS solved, but few people know that. That will also become common knowledge soon and remove the biggest obstacle.

We have to wait a bit longer but from April 2020, Uk company car users that have an BEV, will see their annual tax reduce by 88%. For example on a model S 100D (c100k list price) for a top rate tax payer (which would apply to almost all those getting such a car) this is a reduction from c£7,200 pa to £900 pa.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Troy has been updating the EU registrations wiki table (see link in my footer) for 2019, includiong Model 3!

We also realized that our main source for the "other" countries (with few Tesla registrations), eafo.eu, is not working any more. Do any of you have an idea where to get data for countries like Poland, Hungary and Portugal? Any locals here ;)?

Reactions: schonelucht