Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were caveats being rumoured for commercial use. The UK taxis putting big miles on the cars purely from Supercharging, and causing congestion at Heathrow and we know the same is true in Amsterdam.

In Amsterdam they got 100 Model S (I think), wouldn´t that warrant building them their own Supercharger, given the huge publicity for Tesla (many people who never sat in one getting a test ride)?

Yeah, abusing the superchargers isn't cool. But the first non-Tesla operated supercharger recently opened in Sweden (though limited to 60 kW): Tesla Sold 60KW to a Business Owner | Electrek

It's likely that taxi companies buying hundreds of Model X will get access to buy Superchargers.

(Though the need for Supercharging for taxis isn't huge. The experience with the Model S is that it can last a whole shift on a full battery, so a 11 kW charger overnight is usually enough.)

Hopefully, or Tesla put in dedicated Taxi Superchargers, and charge to use it. Who knows.

I agree if it's an owner operated Taxi it might be possible for city centre usage. That is not what's happening on the executive transport side, they are running them as close to 24/7 as they can with shift pattern drivers. Ultimately they have to recoup the £30k premium over a lightly used E class diesel.

In Amsterdam they got 100 Model S (I think), wouldn´t that warrant building them their own Supercharger, given the huge publicity for Tesla (many people who never sat in one getting a test ride)?

From what I have read elsewhere they do indeed have one or more of this 60kW "fastchargers" - and some 22kW Type2.
But the first non-Tesla operated supercharger recently opened in Sweden (though limited to 60 kW): Tesla Sold 60KW to a Business Owner | Electrek

In NYC each taxi cab runs pretty much 24/7; drivers swap out, but the car stays in service. Supercharging is the only charging method to support that intensity. I'm not sure if the airport taxis are in the EU are used with the same pattern, though, or whether there's a late-night window for them to charge more slowly.

In NYC each taxi cab runs pretty much 24/7; drivers swap out, but the car stays in service. Supercharging is the only charging method to support that intensity. I'm not sure if the airport taxis are in the EU are used with the same pattern, though, or whether there's a late-night window for them to charge more slowly.
This is because the medallion is tied to the car, right? In Norway at least, there's a licence that is tied to either a person or company, and they can swap cars around freely, so there isn't the same focus on keeping the cars on the road 24/7. Many taxi drivers own their own cars and decide themselves how many hours they work and when. Of course, cars owned by taxi companies can certainly rack up the miles.

So I just learned this like 2 days ago - somehow missed it in local news. Tesla partnered wirth a company called Business Lease Group (a company of Dutch AutoBinck Holding N.V.) and have started leasing cars in Hungary as of 6.15 via this firm. Note, that Tesla is not in Hungary in any official capacity - there is no store or service center and as far as I knoiw the 1-2 Superchargers they plan setting up here later this year are being done from Vienna.

I have a feeling this means they won't really set up shop here for a few more years, maybe until Model 3, but this could add a few dozen leased cars to the EU total this year. Unfortunately i cannot help with Hungarian car registration data - it looks like it's not available for free, only via a company called DataHouse to vehicle manufacturers/importers who pay for the service.

(Though the need for Supercharging for taxis isn't huge. The experience with the Model S is that it can last a whole shift on a full battery, so a 11 kW charger overnight is usually enough.)

Actual experience says differently : dutch taxis clock between 350 and 500km for a single shift so they need to charge in between. You can't just explain your customer that you're driving 90 to preserve battery. Furthermore : taxis don't know where their next destination will bring them, so they need to keep a larger buffer just in case the last customer asks them for a longer ride somewhere in the country. They absolutely need supercharging to make their business model work.

Actual experience says differently : dutch taxis clock between 350 and 500km for a single shift so they need to charge in between. You can't just explain your customer that you're driving 90 to preserve battery. Furthermore : taxis don't know where their next destination will bring them, so they need to keep a larger buffer just in case the last customer asks them for a longer ride somewhere in the country. They absolutely need supercharging to make their business model work.

I think this is gone some OT, and should probably be moved to a "Tesla as Taxi" thread....

I have no experiences with taxies in NY or the Netherlands, but here they usually use a lot of time waiting in line for customers. If they could utilise this time to charge - even at low speed, there would be no need for any more charging. Except for any longer trips out of town where they would use the superchargers just like any other Tesla's on a trip.

My best guess to solve this is to have inductive charging at the taxi ranks.

Experiences will obviously differ between countries, regions, use cases, etc. The Norwegian Model S taxis are generally well served with overnight charging. And the occasional trip they have to pass up, they more than make up for in fuel savings.

To serve all the different needs, a range of of charging options will be required. Some will be okay with overnight charging. Some will need 22 kW chargers spread out. Some will need superchargers. Some will need CHAdeMO adapters. Etc.

So I just learned this like 2 days ago - somehow missed it in local news. Tesla partnered wirth a company called Business Lease Group (a company of Dutch AutoBinck Holding N.V.) and have started leasing cars in Hungary as of 6.15 via this firm. Note, that Tesla is not in Hungary in any official capacity - there is no store or service center and as far as I knoiw the 1-2 Superchargers they plan setting up here later this year are being done from Vienna.

Are you sure the company is really a partner? Unless there's official statement by Tesla, I would take it with a grain of salt. Tesla hasn't done this in any other country, only direct so far.
There's a similar story in Russia with a company called Revolta Motors that seem to have no connection whatsoever with Tesla (in fact they haven't even bothered to update the website with "small" details like dual drive - Revolta Motors - премиальные Ñлектромобили: Tesla, Volvo, BMW.). They even had a press release with local mobile carrier Yota, claiming they are designing "special SIM cards for Tesla".

Could it be this Business Lease Group is doing it on their own - just buying Teslas elsewhere and leasing in Hungary?

Are you sure the company is really a partner? Unless there's official statement by Tesla, I would take it with a grain of salt. Tesla hasn't done this in any other country, only direct so far.
There's a similar story in Russia with a company called Revolta Motors that seem to have no connection whatsoever with Tesla (in fact they haven't even bothered to update the website with "small" details like dual drive - Revolta Motors - премиальные Ñлектромобили: Tesla, Volvo, BMW.). They even had a press release with local mobile carrier Yota, claiming they are designing "special SIM cards for Tesla".

Could it be this Business Lease Group is doing it on their own - just buying Teslas elsewhere and leasing in Hungary?

Well, the PR said "in cooperation with Tesla Europe", but I also managed to find the news item on the English version of their website: http://www.businesslease.hu/en/abou...lease-is-the-first-to-offer-tesla-fleet-cars/

News from MrBacardi from elbilforum.no (numbers for month of June as of the 27th):

521 new registrations
- including 517 D-models and 4 with rear wheel drive
- including 453 with 85 kWh og 68 with standard battery (60/70 kWh)
- including 517 with 5 seats and 4 with 4 seats (executive rear seats)

(Translation of this post: (Nesten) 1500 nye Model S registrert i Mars! )

- - - Updated - - -

This was on March 27:

The count is now at 920. And still going strong. I think we'll end up in the 1100-1200 area. :)

So the end-of quarter-push seems much weaker this time after all. Last week it looked like the opposite. 1097 is the current total for Norway in Q2, after 1532 final in Q1. So looks like we´ll have a few hundered fewer registrations there than Q1. I know, you told me...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe someone from Norway who is member at elbilforum can post some thanks to MrBacardi or we could crowd-fund a bottle or two for him ;)!

Last edited:
So the end-of quarter-push seems much weaker this time after all. Last week it looked like the opposite. 1097 is the current total for Norway in Q2, after 1532 final in Q1. So looks like we´ll have a few hundered fewer registrations there than Q1. I know, you told me...

Is it possible that Tesla delivered comparatively more cars in the USA this quarter around since incentives in some states end on the 1st of July? A retrospective look at the delivery times thread seems to confirm the theory with June deliveries being available in the US for a much longer time than they were in Europe. July was the other way around, though!

Is it possible that Tesla delivered comparatively more cars in the USA this quarter around since incentives in some states end on the 1st of July? A retrospective look at the delivery times thread seems to confirm the theory with June deliveries being available in the US for a much longer time than they were in Europe. July was the other way around, though!

Yeah, incentives ending will likely have an influence. Apr and May were quite strong though in Europe, so I guess (hope) maybe the end-of-quarter push was redirected to those US states this time.

Today the new danish government issued a statement that the tax-exemption for BEV's will not be extended beyond December 31st, 2015.

This has grave and serious consequences for Tesla in Denmark as their cars are the most expensive BEV's. A 70D will probably see a 50% price increase, while a P85D could see as much as 100-120%.

However the government has not presented the new "all-inclusive" tax model yet so we don't know exactly what kind of tax that a will be due on a Model S. But it is almost certain to be a lot. The danish government does not allow luxury.

If the tax-exemption expires and no reforms are made of the registration-tax-laws then all Tesla sales in Denmark will likely come to a complete stop on the 31st of December.

Source in danish:

Venstre dropper SR's afgiftsfritagelse for elbiler | Ingeniøren

Do we have the latest update from Norway? Thank you!

Unlike last quarter there was an update on registration only once a week, I believe because they tried to prevent automated access to the registrations site that the elbilforum-guy ran a script on. Last number was 521 from Saturday (see above in this thread). I think there will be no update before official numbers come out in the next few days.