Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be interesting how Tesla will handle the currency difference. Users who bought two years ago at a favorable exchange rate are now looking at prices that are easily 10% higher for comparable cars. Tesla could either offer these owners a price based on what they purchased the car for, or a higher price based on what comparable cars would cost new. On the other hand, Tesla could then sell these trade-ins for a price based on what they had cost originally, or based on what a new car would go for now.

Hello I came across this article

Thanks to yet another strong sales performance chiefly in Norway and Switzerland, plus a consistent good showing in some of the region’s other markets, Tesla’s Model S has been crowned as July’s best selling electric car in Western Europe.

But AID’s exclusively compiled figures testify to a close run race for sector supremacy.

AID’s provisional figures reveal that Tesla’s Model S, with 1,106 sales took top honours in July’s West European electric car market.

Nissan’s LEAF, outsold by a mere whisker, still took July’s runner-up position with 1,011 units, unexpectedly beating its French ZOE cousin – 980 July sales - into third position.
European Tesla Model S Sales during July - Best selling electric car

July’s 4th slot, despite another bumper sales month in Norway, but let down by precious few sales anywhere else, went to Volkswagen’s e-Golf in AID’s exclusive July ranking.

It must be a humiliating experience for the world’s long-established leading carmakers - striving hard to trumpet to the world at large their cutting-edge technological know-how, marketing skill and particularly service capability - when a complete newcomer to the cut-throat automotive scene zips past at speed at the first attempt
http://www.eagleaid.com/AID Newsletter preorder.htm

Thanks for posting. Can you add a link to the article?!

In this thread´s wiki table we have counted 1107 registrations for July +an estimate of 75 for the UK where no numbers are published monthly, so this fits quite well with the 1106 from your article!

Hello I came across this article

Thanks to yet another strong sales performance chiefly in Norway and Switzerland, plus a consistent good showing in some of the region’s other markets, Tesla’s Model S has been crowned as July’s best selling electric car in Western Europe.

But AID’s exclusively compiled figures testify to a close run race for sector supremacy.

AID’s provisional figures reveal that Tesla’s Model S, with 1,106 sales took top honours in July’s West European electric car market.

Nissan’s LEAF, outsold by a mere whisker, still took July’s runner-up position with 1,011 units, unexpectedly beating its French ZOE cousin – 980 July sales - into third position.
European Tesla Model S Sales during July - Best selling electric car

July’s 4th slot, despite another bumper sales month in Norway, but let down by precious few sales anywhere else, went to Volkswagen’s e-Golf in AID’s exclusive July ranking.

It must be a humiliating experience for the world’s long-established leading carmakers - striving hard to trumpet to the world at large their cutting-edge technological know-how, marketing skill and particularly service capability - when a complete newcomer to the cut-throat automotive scene zips past at speed at the first attempt

What is also interesting, and was in the part of the article that was behind the paywall, is that MS share in Germany was a whopping 50% of all BEV sold there. This means that MS outsold BMW i3, a car priced almost 3 times lower than MS, in spite of i3's home turf advantage. This is truly amazing, and I am sure is a cause of some increased heart rate in the boardrooms of storied German automakers.

What is also interesting, and was in the part of the article that was behind the paywall, is that MS share in Germany was a whopping 50% of all BEV sold there. This means that MS outsold BMW i3, a car priced almost 3 times lower than MS, in spite of i3's home turf advantage. This is truly amazing, and I am sure is a cause of some increased heart rate in the boardrooms of storied German automakers.

Yeah, that is amazing - wasn´t aware of that because usually EV statistics include PHEVs (Plugin Hybrids), if you take those numbers Model S was only in 5th place (EV Sales: Germany July 2015). Wonder why they don´t differentiate better, at least on a site like ev-sales which I don´t guess has an interest in making German manufacturers look good.

Does the term BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) by definition *not* include PHEVs (as they obviously have a battery, too)?! Maybe a better abbreviation would be BoEVs (Battery only EV) or PBEVs (pure instead of hybrid).

Does this exclude i3's with a REX? Used BEV i3's are tanking compared to REX versions on the UK used market, and the % of REV to BEV has swung massively towards the former in new sales.

If it includes REX's then it's a great result!

Does this exclude i3's with a REX? Used BEV i3's are tanking compared to REX versions on the UK used market, and the % of REV to BEV has swung massively towards the former in new sales.

If it includes REX's then it's a great result!

No, I think it is only "pure" battery electric vehicles. REX would fall under the the PHEV category I think. Look at the ev-sales numbers I posted below, I3 total sales (including REX) are above Model S.

Thanks for the clarification. Would love to know the .DE BEV:REX i3 Ratio

Found it here (page 6): 61 hybrid, 133 EV BMW i3 registered in Germany in July. Actually surprised that it is not the other way round.

However, that means that the info that Tesla registered more than half or even just more than i3 pure BEV must be wrong, as there were 132 Model S registrations in Germany in July, one less than i3 EV! vgrinshpun, can you please double-check your source?!

The source is Streetinsider digest of the AID's article:

http://www.streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Tesla+%28TSLA%29+Model+S+was+Top-Selling+EV+in+West+Europe+During+July/10848651.html

It looks like BEV included only the pure electric variants of the i3. If so, it is still a remarkable achievement. The price ratio of MS to i3 is about the same as BMW 7 Series to 3 series. I did not check the data, but BMW probably sells at least 10x more 3 Series than 7 Series. Yet, MS sales are about the same as i3, in Germany - this is incredible.

regarding the gasoline back up version of i3, I think that it's sales will eventually be a small fraction of the BEV variant sales, once it will become widely known that with gasoline back-up i3 is running in what amounts to the "limp" mode. This back up function is truly designed as emergency only back up - it is not practical for frequent use.

Tesla has certainly focused on expanding the super charger network as well which I suspect is part of the success. Per square mile Germany has nearly 5 times as many supercharger stations as there are in the US. Granted the US has many sections with very few if any superchargers but the fact Germany has so many is still very impressive.

germany superchargers.PNG

Found it here (page 6): 61 hybrid, 133 EV BMW i3 registered in Germany in July. Actually surprised that it is not the other way round.

Surprises me too!! Looking at the UK registrations the ratio is almost reversed! (271 BEV vs 481 REX in Q1'15).

A used BEV can now be had for <£20k where the equivalent REX version are >£25k. So now there is some depreciation history, it's likely finance rates will reflect this and magnify the ratio further towards the REX side. (It's like some options e.g. leather on Mercs, whilst costing more from new, often are seen as essential used, and lower the monthly payments because you are financing just the depreciation.)

I understand what vgrinshpun is saying about the caveats to the REX, but with a fairly poor rapid infrastructure, I think many will be swayed by the piece of mind if it costs no more per month on finance.