Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually a second such event. The previous one was September 28-29 2013 and I got the invitation to join then too. The Tallinn event is straight after the Helsinki one (they travel to Tallinn on 25th and the test drives are on 26-27). I'd have to say, the empirical evidence that they created the second Helsinki event as a single day event suggests that demand in Helsinki region is low? The Tallinn event overwhelmed they scheduling multiple times over so likely they will shortly create another event to accommodate those who couldn't get a drive in the first, but six months later and only one day seems like Finns are a bit cold on this front oddly...

Demand in Finland might be low. Auto-Outlet is also offering test drives. So maybe this Tesla event is not so interesting for test drive point of view?
And I wish we would also have some incentives like Estonia. Could help a bit...

Demand in Finland might be low. Auto-Outlet is also offering test drives. So maybe this Tesla event is not so interesting for test drive point of view?
And I wish we would also have some incentives like Estonia. Could help a bit...

Valid point if auto outlet indeed is doing test drives as there's a lot of pent up demand and interest in Estonia (I still get essentially daily calls of people who'd like to see the car in real life). With regard to incentives, don't you have some incentives for company leasing where the first three years the government pays some % of the monthly leasing amount? It's not quite the same and amounts to about a third of our incentives, but still it's something :)

It's actually a second such event. The previous one was September 28-29 2013 and I got the invitation to join then too.

Ah, OK, thanks for the correction. That was before I joined the forum, and I had forgotten about that completely.

With regard to incentives, don't you have some incentives for company leasing where the first three years the government pays some % of the monthly leasing amount? It's not quite the same and amounts to about a third of our incentives, but still it's something :)

Yeah, but that is only for companies that specifically register for the incentive, and there is a requirement for the company to invest on renewable energy to be able to receive this government incentive. A complex process.

I just today found that in addtion to Auto-Outlet, also a company called Laten Kone Oy (http://latenkone.fi/tesla/) sells Tesla and offers test drives. Also Sports Car Centre (http://www.scc.fi/Ajankohtainen.aspx?ajankohtaisId=17689) is somehow involved. So the situation is getting somewhat confusing here! :smile:

Basically dealers are ignoring Tesla and being dealers. They just markup the car and continue their old ways and until Tesla opens a store or people just order it on the internet they will keep getting a profit on the cars. *sigh* I'm seeing something similar attempted here, but I've managed to steer everyone straight to Tesla that I can get. The media coverage and what I've tried to push nation wide since has made me the go-to person for any info on Tesla so at least I can steer them to the actual company and fight any FUD. Hopefully I can also keep the dealers dirty hands out of it until Tesla arrives on the white horse ;) But we're de-railing the thread a bit ;)

Basically dealers are ignoring Tesla and being dealers. They just markup the car and continue their old ways and until Tesla opens a store or people just order it on the internet they will keep getting a profit on the cars. *sigh* I'm seeing something similar attempted here, but I've managed to steer everyone straight to Tesla that I can get. The media coverage and what I've tried to push nation wide since has made me the go-to person for any info on Tesla so at least I can steer them to the actual company and fight any FUD. Hopefully I can also keep the dealers dirty hands out of it until Tesla arrives on the white horse ;) But we're de-railing the thread a bit ;)
No derailing there that I can see, keep up the good fight Mario:smile:

I think AustinPowers made fun extrapolating a monthly doubling of numbers in Germany. Mario could help us calculate when the number of Model S in Germany would exceed the number of hydrogen atoms in the universe.

extrapolating.png

I found something that might be of interest to this thread. European orders can for a P85 still select June as delivery month (July for S60/85). Either something isn't updated correctly or order to delivery times for Europe is coming down significantly. Can also mean that the production ramp up is starting to meet demand.
So 10-14 weeks for a new car isn't bad. That's more like standard for most brands here....

I am on a spring break vacation in London, and under mighty pressure from my 16-year old son (who is a also a member on TMC) made some time to visit London Westfield Store after today's stroll in the Kensington park. Few pieces of interesting information obtained there:

1. The "high profile" person who is going to be presented one of the first RHD cars is "not that high profile". My conjecture is that it is not going to be the Prince, as was being rumored.
  2. This delivery to high profile person is weeks away. My conclusion is that there will be no London stop-over neither before, nor after the Chinese visit. Elon's London visit will be a separate trip, some time after the Chinese trip.
  3. The rate of British reservations is currently running at a robust average of 50 cars/week. These are store reservations ONLY. The on-line reservations are on top of these store reservations. There were no estimate given on the rate of the on-line reservations. It was my conclusion that this rate is expected to go up, when additional stores are open in Britain (there is currently only one store - in London) and test drives become more widely available.
  4. The current British reservations have a four to five months wait time.
  5. The RHD will be produced on the second assembly line, with an additional ramp-up above current production rate of 700 cars. This should help with the efficiency as there will be no need to batch left hand drive and RHD cars on a single production line.

Observing congestion on London streets and a real problem with smog (it is not uncommon to see bicyclists with respirators, and the ones that are NOT a make-shift disposable type - real heavy duty staff), I think that Model S should do very good.

I found something that might be of interest to this thread. European orders can for a P85 still select June as delivery month (July for S60/85). Either something isn't updated correctly or order to delivery times for Europe is coming down significantly. Can also mean that the production ramp up is starting to meet demand.
So 10-14 weeks for a new car isn't bad. That's more like standard for most brands here....

Not sure about that. In the Dutch language forum someone reported having a delivery date of September.

I am on a spring break vacation in London, and under mighty pressure from my 16-year old son (who is a also a member on TMC) made some time to visit London Westfield Store after today's stroll in the Kensington park. Few pieces of interesting information obtained there:

1. The "high profile" person who is going to be presented one of the first RHD cars is "not that high profile". My conjecture is that it is not going to be the Prince, as was being rumored.
  2. This delivery to high profile person is weeks away. My conclusion is that there will be no London stop-over neither before, nor after the Chinese visit. Elon's London visit will be a separate trip, some time after the Chinese trip.
  3. The rate of British reservations is currently running at a robust average of 50 cars/week. These are store reservations ONLY. The on-line reservations are on top of these store reservations. There were no estimate given on the rate of the on-line reservations. It was my conclusion that this rate is expected to go up, when additional stores are open in Britain (there is currently only one store - in London) and test drives become more widely available.
  4. The current British reservations have a four to five months wait time.
  5. The RHD will be produced on the second assembly line, with an additional ramp-up above current production rate of 700 cars. This should help with the efficiency as there will be no need to batch left hand drive and RHD cars on a single production line.

Observing congestion on London streets and a real problem with smog (it is not uncommon to see bicyclists with respirators, and the ones that are NOT a make-shift disposable type - real heavy duty staff), I think that Model S should do very good.

Helpful. 50/week from that store is a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if already 1k backlog for UK. The Model S reviews in UK media have mostly been insanely good. One point I haven't seen made about Europe, and esp UK, compared to US: way more people crammed into smaller space. Which means the economics of a supercharger rollout are more attractive. Also, with lots of 2-lane winding roads, the ability to accelerate like the devil is incredibly useful for overtaking.

One point I haven't seen made about Europe, and esp UK, compared to US: way more people crammed into smaller space. Which means the economics of a supercharger rollout are more attractive. Also, with lots of 2-lane winding roads, the ability to accelerate like the devil is incredibly useful for overtaking.

Only problem with Model S in that respect is its enormous size. When I think back to the times I drove around the UK, especially many of those narrow country roads and lanes in Cheshire and North Wales, even with our old Merc it was a frightening feeling sometimes. And Model S is about two orders of magnitude wider. But there's always Gen III to hope for, which should "fit" quite well.

Only problem with Model S in that respect is its enormous size. When I think back to the times I drove around the UK, especially many of those narrow country roads and lanes in Cheshire and North Wales, even with our old Merc it was a frightening feeling sometimes. And Model S is about two orders of magnitude wider. But there's always Gen III to hope for, which should "fit" quite well.

Model S 1963mm width.

2014 S Class 1899 mm width.

64 mm or 2.5" difference.