Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here's a brochure i found on the german manu site mennekes, who drafted the adopted plug/connector standard 'type 2':

http://www.mennekes.de/uploads/media/Infrastructure_GB_110511_low_873000DS.pdf

lots of good info in there. fwiw.

Nice brochure! Not unlikely when the charge port flap opens on an EU Model S it is possible that this is what we will see behind (from page 17):

mennekesplug.JPG

well, the type 2 standard seems to call for the vehicle side connector to have the male pins, so that the plug you handle has the female end. wall/mains on top and vehicle below:

Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 10.59.46 AM.png

it seems it may take tesla some time to integrate this connector into the model s/eu.. especially retro-designing the led status light ring that is so iconic to the model s, and the charge port door, etc etc. to fit this connector, there will have to be a whole new part of the car designed for that rear quarter panel.

Last edited:
The Type 2 that I used to know had the same plugs both at the car and the infrastructure, so I think there has been a quite important change in the standard...

The new plug looks bigger and not as well designed as the previous (wich remains for the infrastructure). Maybe they have been forced to swap them to avoid live conductors in the cable (because Type 2 does not use shutters, as Type 3 does).

Anyway, not a good change for me... Now we must look and choose the right side of our two Type 2 plugs cable before we plug it into the wallbox and the car. The previous simmetrical design was easier to use :/

Nice brochure! Not unlikely when the charge port flap opens on an EU Model S it is possible that this is what we will see behind (from page 17):

View attachment 15231
No, that is the socket for on the EVSE side. See my blogposts:
* Widodh My EVSE is online!
* Widodh Installing the socket of my Open EVSE

The Type 2 that I used to know had the same plugs both at the car and the infrastructure, so I think there has been a quite important change in the standard...

The new plug looks bigger and not as well designed as the previous (wich remains for the infrastructure). Maybe they have been forced to swap them to avoid live conductors in the cable (because Type 2 does not use shutters, as Type 3 does).

Anyway, not a good change for me... Now we must look and choose the right side of our two Type 2 plugs cable before we plug it into the wallbox and the car. The previous simmetrical design was easier to use :/
The socket on the EVSE side is still the same, nothing has changed. Not the socket nor the plug. They are still the same.

Maybe on the vehicle side, but that I'm not sure about.

Last edited:
...Tesla has these specs publicized all-over: press releases, specs page, pricing page, configurator, there may even be some people(?) in the EU that have finalized with Twin Chargers ...

I'm one of those who finalized knowing, that Teslas documents do not reflect what I will probably get. In the MVPA there's no mention of 3-Phase charging and I ordered "twin chargers".

However, the fact, that Elon told us at the auto salon and that GeorgeB told us on this Forum, that we will get 3-Phase charging is good enough for me. The Website may be completly or partialy wrong about the twin charger thing, but it also says, that we will get some type 2 plug compatibility.

To be absolutely clear; I'm really not satisfied with Teslas "communication strategy" in this case, but my first priority is to get my car as fast as possible. I hope they will figure out the details concerning 3-Phase charging asap and communicate these before the auto salon in Geneva to their customers.

At the moment Tesla leaves the impression on me, that they really not quite know, what they are doing with regards to 3 Phase charging.

Either there seems to be a serious disconnect between engineering and sales OR the engineering team still hasn't figured out how they will realize 3-Phase charging ( I'm hoping very much, that the former is the case ).

Last edited:
I'm one of those who finalized knowing, that Teslas documents do not reflect what I will probably get. In the MVPA there's no mention of 3-Phase charging and I ordered "twin chargers".

However, the fact, that Elon told us at the auto salon and that GeorgeB told us on this Forum, that we will get 3-Phase charging is good enough for me. The Website may be completly or partialy wrong about the twin charger thing, but it also says, that we will get some type 2 plug compatibility.

To be absolutely clear; I'm really not satisfied with Teslas "communication strategy" in this case, but my first priority is to get my car as fast as possible. I hope they will figure out the details concerning 3-Phase charging asap and communicate these before the auto salon in Geneva to their customers.

At the moment Tesla leaves the impression on me, that they really not quite know, what they are doing with regards to 3 Phase charging.

Either there seems to be a serious disconnect between engineering and sales OR the engineering team still hasn't figured out how they will realize 3-Phase charging ( I'm hoping very much, that the former is the case ).

100 percent agree - not only is the car (on all accounts from those who have one or driven in one) like a rollercoster ride but so is this journey with Tesla. It can hurt being on the bleeding edge but I think we are going to enjoy the ride. Like you I am going to jump in with both feet and keep my fingers tightly crossed.:cool:

It's been confirmed in a recent talk that the engineers are working on it, plus I'm pretty sure a couple members here got email confirmation that Tesla will have a 3-phase solution for European Model S:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11636-Stanford-Seminar-Dave-Duff-Tesla-Motors

Like other things that are still "in progress", I think Tesla probably chose to omit it from the specs until it is done (they did the same with the vanity mirror and the rear reading lights and this caused quite a bit of uproar). There's still a possibility, depending on the delivery schedule, that they might have to do a retrofit later instead of delivering the car with the 3-phase plug (somewhat related: I think that is happening with the Renault Zoe).

well, the type 2 standard seems to call for the vehicle side connector to have the male pins, so that the plug you handle has the female end. wall/mains on top and vehicle below:

Pcsv9Nx.png

38B5eNw.png

This is 'old' news (27 March 2012) in French which Goole Translates as;

Charging stations: Renault announces the end of "Type 3"

27/03/2012 - The European standardization is finally in sight.

Socket-type and e type 3He are several standards for plugs for electric vehicles. This plurality is clearly an obstacle to the development of electric cars, since at the infrastructure level, those who invest should know which standard to choose.

We previously reported that Renault, which uses the standard "Type 3" (left in our illustration) on the Kangoo ZE and Fluence, was passed to "Type 2" on Zoe (right in our illustration). Then there is an anomaly, the use of two standards. We contacted a director of the technical range X10 (Zoe) Renault to know the intentions of the manufacturer, and they are very clear. Future versions of the Kangoo and Fluence will adopt the same specifications as the Zoe or Type 2, which is also known under the name of its inventor, German Mennekes. We must plan there will be more than one electric car in standard type 3 in production by 2014.

This is a good and great news, all electric cars will meet the same European standard, and can plug into the same outlet. The Milanese example, can come to France and French utliser terminals. Taking Type 2 is indeed already widely used throughout Europe, with the support of the European Union, very happy to reach a standard. Our illustration shows Günther Oettinger, the European Commission, Commissioner for Energy. It supports Type 2 like all the automakers through their trade association, ACEA. We realize also that if there is a lobby in favor of Type 3, there is no manufacturer of cars to be part ... Beyond politics, the manufacturers have decided to primarily qualitative supremacy of Type 2, which allows refills to 44 kW when the Type 3 is limited to 22 kW.

Those planning to invest in infrastructure for recharging electric cars no longer have to hesitate. Just follow the example of Renault. Of course, all manufacturers can do both terminals Type 2 or Type 3, and the price is the same.

In that picture you can see the previous standard, with male plug at both ends of the cable.

Last edited:
More photos of the female socket in the car side, in this case the e-Golf prototype:

BNyO6g3.png

nLJJSJN.png

If someone knows the motivation of this change, please report. I'm afreid it's something concerning the absence of shutters in the connector... Maybe a male plug cable is dangerous :(

In the US, the power supply side must always have the female portion of the connector, while the power consumption side must have the male portion of the connector. Perhaps they're just following this approach.

Despite the fact that our electrical code calls for the cords to be de-energized if not safely connected, they still follow the standards.

So it semes its settled on single charger = 10KW 400v 3 phase 16A max, and twin charger = 20kw 400v, 3 phase 32A max. What does this mean for 230V? Will the single charger be limited to 230x1,73x16=6,3kw and the twin charger 230x1,73x32=12,7kw ?

Edit: And by reading this http://www.mennekes.de/uploads/media/Infrastructure_GB_110511_low_873000DS.pdf (was posted by somone a coupple pages back) it semes like mennekes only support 3 phase on 400V and single phase on 230V.

Hmm

Last edited:
In this Video GeorgeB confirms as first Tesla exec, that there will be a Carside Type-2 Plug on the Model S. (around 1:04)

Also volker.berlin posted on the german forum, that he got an eMail from a UK-Tesla-Rep, which says, that we will be able to charge the Model S on a 13A 1 phase outlet in 34 hours.

According to his post, we will also be able to connect to a standard CEE 3-phase 16A outlet and get a full charge in 8.5 hours. Both these options will be available, with the "single charger"

There is also mention, that "twin charger"-owners will be able to get a "third party" wall connector to charge the Model S on 3 phases, 32A in 4.25 hours.

Does anybody have similar information?

Questions remain:
Will we also be able to charge on a public Type-2 charging station at 3x32A in 4.25 hours?
What does Tesla mean by "third-party"-Wallbox?
Won't there be a mobile way to charge with 22kW?

Last edited by a moderator:
...There is also mention, that "twin charger"-owners will be able to get a "third party" wall connector to charge the Model S on 3 phases, 32A in 4.25 hours.

Does anybody have similar information?

Questions remain:
Will we also be able to charge on a public Type-2 charging station at 3x32A in 4.25 hours?

Thanks for posting the video!

I think with regards to your questions that 1) If the twin charger option is indeed limited to 20kW then that is what you will be able to draw from 3P 400V/32A (even if it is able to deliver slightly more at >22kW). When he says "third-party wallbox" I think he is implying that maybe Tesla will not be manufacturing HPWC for the EU (with 3-phase input) but instead they will be either selling or reffering us to a "high-power" EVSE from another manufacturer, made for 3-phase, with a type 2 plug - why not one produced by Menneks themselves? From their catalogue, perhaps the orange box (too big?) or something more modular where there is a box on the wall and then either a plug on the wall or a permanently mounted cable?

gubbe.JPG
box.JPG
allt.JPG

Yes, since that public Type 2 charging station is an EVSE which tells the car: "Hey, I can deliver you 3x32A, so go ahead!

Like Johan already mentioned, Tesla probably won't build a HPWC for Europe but refer to a local supplier.

You have Mennekes, EV-Box (NL), RWE, Siemens, Alfen, Reewoud and many more to choose from.

They can sell you an EVSE which can do up to 3x32A just like public stations. They will even work the same except for the fact that you don't need a RFID-card to activate them.

Probably not, for 32A you need an EVSE. So on a regular 3x16A CEE (Red thing) you'll be limited to 10kW.