Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe Trip Planner - Gathering your thoughts on essentials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this, I would not probably check on the app at all really, as I want to conserve the battery as much as I can. The nearest supercharger from where we are going to park the car is about 7 miles (more or less) so I would assume that 20% would get us there but they are plenty of chargers and rapid chargers around where we park the car so I am not really worried about charge. On standby with 20% battery, do you know how much would it last ?
Depending where I park it, I might even leave it with sentry off, as an option.
We are planning the scenic route, on the way there, going through Aix-En-Provence and doing the Mont Blanc on the way back, but that could change.
As it regards the motorway passes, I will use the bip and go that I already have, I might have to activate Italy too.
Waiting really on the diagnose from Tesla, to tell me what the car has and if we can take it abroad.
If sentry off / cabin protection off you lose on average 2-3% battery in 24 hrs. So 20% will more or less last for another 6-7 days max to flatten the battery!

• Helpful
Reactions: teotutulan
If sentry off / cabin protection off you lose on average 2-3% battery in 24 hrs. So 20% will more or less last for another 6-7 days max to flatten the battery!
With everything off, if you really are losing 3% per day then you have a huge problem and probably something else polling the car to stay awake.
I would say it should rather be 1-2% a week with the car fully asleep.

7 miles (more or less) so I would assume that 20% would get us there

3 miles per percent should be doable - particularly if you are not in a hurry.

Bit debateable how much the car has in reserve at 0%, but tests that Bjorn has been doing on various marques suggests that newer cars have quite a decent buffer (10-20 miles), whereas in the early days quite often 0% was "empty". Probably better ability in the BMS to accurately know what the remaining energy in the battery is.

I would definitely check that the battery was not depleting faster than expected (better to do that over the cource of a week or two before you leave :) ). Most likely candidate is "something else" connecting to the car - e.g. an APP that you had a trial on and have since forgotten, or Spouse's APP ...

... changing the Tesla Password will disable all of them at a stroke, and putting the new password into phone APP would mean that was the only thing able to wake the car.

• Love
Thanks for the advice. I will check the car, she's been pretty good with no depletion when parked at home (sentry off/cabin protection off). Probably losing 1% over 24 hours.
The only thing remaining is to sort our the noise from CV joints, me thinks. And I will be on my way. She's booked on Saturday in Chelmsford. Fingers crossed they will be able to sort it quick.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
and here is a clip with the sound coming from the front axle. I am almost sure it is not a CV joint ... yXVl7_tp7Tg
That sounds like a stone stuck in the brakes to me?

See the below thread

That sounds like a stone stuck in the brakes to me?

See the below thread
Yeah, most definitively...or it could be a bearing on it's way out. Tesla tech said they know what it is and they will take care of it.

The problem is basically that they are not geared up for any issues or exceptions. They completely ignore any ticketed help requests, and seemingly auto generate invoices etc. Baffling.

Good tip know the actual tag works well once you get payment etc sorted. Just don't try it from the UK!
Picking up half way through this as I wasn't sure if my ULYS tag was going to work for our trip down yesterday. As soon as the train doors opened, I got a text saying that my direct debit had been rejected. Great start. Anyway, we went for the T gate anyway but one which also took payments just in case.
At the first charging stop, found the section on the web page (not in the app) where it's possible to make a payment against an outstanding invoice so that cleared up the €9.90 outstanding charge.
Checked with Revolut, no DD set up but I don't know why. I've asked Ulys but may not get a response it seems.
I figure i'll just check regularly in the account for an outstanding invoice and pay it again as this isn't a regular trip for us *shrugs*

On the upside, car was fab, all the French roads are just so much better.

TOP TIP TO ANYONE: If you use Flexipass for the train on the UK side, the signage directs you to the border control, by which time you have missed out on the opportunity to get a charge at the Folkstone side. Wasn't a problem as i'd already over charged more than plan at Thurrock just in case but my just in case became "just because". So just carefully note where you need to go if you need charge at Folkstone.

Rest of the trip could have been two "long" (half hour+) charges but I did it stretch at 130kph and that caused the car to insert a 6 min charge stop to add 10% rather than arrive at the final charge stop which I could have done. Pity I missed the top up at Folkstone.

Effortless in a Tesla and what was interesting is that we were leapfrogging a BMW iX petrol with Belgian plates who was stopping at different places but on a similar "human biology needs" stop strategy, so to those who think it takes longer in an EV, well maybe but that depends, definitely no penalty for us. Other EV's will vary of course.

Really enjoyed the trip and arrived very relaxed. :)

• Love
Where do we need to go? I am making this trip in few weeks time - hoping I could charge at Folkstone before getting on the train!
Have a really good look on the map (satellite view), because I didn't succeed i'm not going to offer best advice. While in the passport queue and unable to do different though, we zoomed in on the map and said "how do we get to that now then?!"
Basically, ignore the initial flexipass signs PRE border control and head for the pet welcome area I think is probably the best suggestion I can make, the superchargers are at the main car park with duty free but flexipass (as we interpreted the signs) sends you straight to the border control. I discussed this with the girl in the Flexipass lounge and she said "yes, we need better signage!".
It's no big drama if you miss, you could pick up charge on arrival at Calais but my thinking was to just get going into France a bit just in case there were others on that Calais stop plan.
Our first stop was at Saint Quentin, 20 chargers... 1 were the only Tesla there. We had about 60% SOC upon arrival in France so no issue getting down to St Quentin.

• Helpful
Reactions: spdpsba
Really enjoyed the trip and arrived very relaxed. :)
Nice one. Where are you traveling ?
I am using the bip and go thingie. I have used it last year and a couple of years ago. Although I have set it up to pick up monies automatically from Revolut, I have to manually go an pay the bill, as they fail to pick up the monies. Advantage on bip and go is that they bill you monthly and you can pay manually into the account in case it doesn't go through. Never did on mine and I have always payed manually.

I have recently changed mine as we are going to travel across Italy too (north side though) and I seriously thinking of taking the scenic routes rather the motorway as we have plenty of time.

I was curios of something. Did any of you travelled with a roof box on top of the car ? How much should I be expecting for the range to drop ?

Cheers.

TOP TIP TO ANYONE: If you use Flexipass for the train on the UK side,

On the return, Calais side, there are a pair of chargers at the Flexi lounge - that's air-side of passports, so easier to loiter until last minute (there are also chargers at terminal if not travelling Flexi)

Where do we need to go? I am making this trip in few weeks time - hoping I could charge at Folkstone before getting on the train!
Tesla06.gif

There is a dedicated Flexi lane, on the right. But can check in at any lane, so (if going to the terminal / Supercharger) might be easier to use any other lane if empty. Unfortunately they are ground-side of passports, so you need to leave the charger in good time for Passports and getting to the departure area. Or just charge what you need and then "get the next train". If you must catch your train (e.g. middle of the night and only running every hour) then there is a charger, outside the Chunnel complex in Coquelles, on the French side. A little bit out of the way, but better than waiting an hour for the next train ...

Tesla07.gif

The right-hand dedicated Flexi lane then has a "bypass lane" that goes straight to passports. I am as good as certain that you can make a LEFT immediately after check-in (from dedicated right-hand Flexi lane) and still get to the roundabout - its just a large area of tarmac, but as a Flexi customer the cones are encouraging you to the "quick route"

I expect if you set SatNav to Supercharger, and pay attention!, and zoom right in on the map!!, it would be clear

Ordinary mortals are supposed to go to terminal and wait until their departure is called. This is all part of an original cockup in design (typical UK issue). It used to be that they had marshals on the roundabout to force people to go to the terminal - probably because everyone wanted to go straight to departure and that overloaded the lane queuing system there if their departure wasn't called, and because the terminal concessions complained they weren't getting any punters to fleece.

Anyway, follow signs to terminal, not "France", if you want the Supercharger (Folkestone side)

Reactions: Ozboz7 and spdpsba
Nice one. Where are you traveling ?
I am using the bip and go thingie. I have used it last year and a couple of years ago. Although I have set it up to pick up monies automatically from Revolut, I have to manually go an pay the bill, as they fail to pick up the monies. Advantage on bip and go is that they bill you monthly and you can pay manually into the account in case it doesn't go through. Never did on mine and I have always payed manually.

I have recently changed mine as we are going to travel across Italy too (north side though) and I seriously thinking of taking the scenic routes rather the motorway as we have plenty of time.

I was curios of something. Did any of you travelled with a roof box on top of the car ? How much should I be expecting for the range to drop ?

Cheers.
Switzerland, currently in France just before the border, popped into a tourist office today to pick up the blue parking disc and Swiss Vignette.
Sounds like an identical experience with your tag, i.e. just go in and pay after, seems simple enough.
No, didn't take a roofbox. I do have a large one but i'm reluctant to put that on the roof, I think i'd opt for a rear box if one was needed.

On the return, Calais side, there are a pair of chargers at the Flexi lounge - that's air-side of passports, so easier to loiter until last minute (there are also chargers at terminal if not travelling Flexi)

Anyway, follow signs to terminal, not "France", if you want the Supercharger (Folkestone side)
Yep, that's the one! It's really unclear as you're encouraged right to the flexi at passport control. Never mind, i'll get it right next time. :)

I had noted the options on the Calais side before and got confused, thinking there were a couple of chargers in the UK but then kicked myself and remembered everything is broken in Britain.
I had my destination set as the superchargers too and it didn't help. It was "helpfully" showing me a blue line to them after passing through passport control which of course, is not an option.