Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe Trip Planner - Gathering your thoughts on essentials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you're not an octopus customer, electroverse is still a good idea.

I'll just add that while shell recharge adds an admin fee, the card and account is free, and sometimes their cards work when electroverse doesn't. It's not a bad backup to have...

Did you get your Ulys e tag? And is this more convenient than the telepass? Looks like with telepass, you have to pay atleast 36 euros yearly as it is subscription based, though confusingly they also say do not have to pay if you do not travel. I think it is more to do with translating from italian to english.
Apologies for the late reply. I did get the tag, but I've had no end of hassles with Ulys getting payments sorted out (they take SEPA direct debits, rather than an option of CC) and their support has been beyond woeful. Simply non-responsive.

So I wouldn't recommend them personally, despite the attraction of a very low monthly fee when in use and zero fees otherwise.

Reactions: spdpsba
Apologies for the late reply. I did get the tag, but I've had no end of hassles with Ulys getting payments sorted out (they take SEPA direct debits, rather than an option of CC) and their support has been beyond woeful. Simply non-responsive.

So I wouldn't recommend them personally, despite the attraction of a very low monthly fee when in use and zero fees otherwise.
Seems to be common with these independent motorway tag companies. I’m pretty sure they’re tiny companies running on minimum staffing. Ok when the tags work, but good luck getting any customer service if you have any issue. I have one through Pagatelia. Works throughout Europe and the fees are very acceptable. However, the one time I’ve tried to deal with their customer support was a complete waste of time.

Reactions: Sean.
Seems to be common with these independent motorway tag companies. I’m pretty sure they’re tiny companies running on minimum staffing. Ok when the tags work, but good luck getting any customer service if you have any issue. I have one through Pagatelia. Works throughout Europe and the fees are very acceptable. However, the one time I’ve tried to deal with their customer support was a complete waste of time.
Apparently they're taking me to court as the SEPA DD didn't work and they couldn't take payment for delivery of the tag (a whole €9.90)....even though I paid them by bank transfer 2 weeks earlier, in full. They sent an auto-ack with a ticket reference number and despite several follow up from me have never acknwdeged the payment and they abruptly just shut the account. Muppets.

Apparently they're taking me to court as the SEPA DD didn't work and they couldn't take payment for delivery of the tag (a whole €9.90)....even though I paid them by bank transfer 2 weeks earlier, in full. They sent an auto-ack with a ticket reference number and despite several follow up from me have never acknwdeged the payment and they abruptly just shut the account. Muppets.
Sounds similar to Pagatelia’s customer service. I’ve not had issues with payment related stuff, that has all worked correctly, so far (touch wood). However, emailing customer service results in the auto generated ticket acknowledgements but no follow up. I did once get a human reply asking for more information, but then no response to my reply, or my emails chasing them. Their reviews all say pretty much the same, and the same goes for other tag companies; ok when the system works but farcical customer service when something goes wrong.

Reactions: Sean.
Any update on this Ulys tag - did you manage to pay by DD? I ordered this before checking your response and now I have recived their tag and given the bank their DD mandate but doesn’t look like they can take the money for the tag. I guess I am going to get the same letter saying they are taking me to the court. Let me know how you resolved this and any contact email or numbers if you have please let me know. This is one more hassle!

Any update on this Ulys tag - did you manage to pay by DD? I ordered this before checking your response and now I have recived their tag and given the bank their DD mandate but doesn’t look like they can take the money for the tag. I guess I am going to get the same letter saying they are taking me to the court. Let me know how you resolved this and any contact email or numbers if you have please let me know. This is one more hassle!
No. They just sent another bill of €30 for June...just a joke really.

• Helpful
Reactions: spdpsba
Genuinely worked really well once set up. I managed to just leave it facing upwards on the far left side of the dash facing forward which meant no sticking to windscreen, or waking up SWMBO!
The problem is basically that they are not geared up for any issues or exceptions. They completely ignore any ticketed help requests, and seemingly auto generate invoices etc. Baffling.

Good tip know the actual tag works well once you get payment etc sorted. Just don't try it from the UK!

Reactions: Ozboz7
As it runs out, as you would do…I am having another trip, this time to Genoa .
I got everything ready, car, Bip&Go thingie… all i am missing is the car. Joking aside, it’s developed a CV joint kinda noise and it is due for a visit to the doctor on Saturday.
The question would be, not about the trip, but about the parking. We are going to be on a cruise ship for 10 nights, so I leave the sentry mode on or off?
That is a big question… I wouldn’t want to come back to a fully depleted battery… what do you guys think…

As it runs out, as you would do…I am having another trip, this time to Genoa .
I got everything ready, car, Bip&Go thingie… all i am missing is the car. Joking aside, it’s developed a CV joint kinda noise and it is due for a visit to the doctor on Saturday.
The question would be, not about the trip, but about the parking. We are going to be on a cruise ship for 10 nights, so I leave the sentry mode on or off?
That is a big question… I wouldn’t want to come back to a fully depleted battery… what do you guys think…
The general advice is to turn off sentry mode. But there are some ifs and buts depending on whether you are closer to any SC, is the cabin protection on/off, how often you check your app etc., By default the sentry mode will be switched off once the battery level reaches 20%. So if you have any SCs within that distance then you can take the risk. A rough calculation is you lose around 10-12% in 24 hrs if sentry on. So in your case it will automatically switches off once the battery level reaches 20%.

The general advice is to turn off sentry mode. But there are some ifs and buts depending on whether you are closer to any SC, is the cabin protection on/off, how often you check your app etc., By default the sentry mode will be switched off once the battery level reaches 20%. So if you have any SCs within that distance then you can take the risk. A rough calculation is you lose around 10-12% in 24 hrs if sentry on. So in your case it will automatically switches off once the battery level reaches 20%.

Thanks for this, I would not probably check on the app at all really, as I want to conserve the battery as much as I can. The nearest supercharger from where we are going to park the car is about 7 miles (more or less) so I would assume that 20% would get us there but they are plenty of chargers and rapid chargers around where we park the car so I am not really worried about charge. On standby with 20% battery, do you know how much would it last ?
Depending where I park it, I might even leave it with sentry off, as an option.
We are planning the scenic route, on the way there, going through Aix-En-Provence and doing the Mont Blanc on the way back, but that could change.
As it regards the motorway passes, I will use the bip and go that I already have, I might have to activate Italy too.
Waiting really on the diagnose from Tesla, to tell me what the car has and if we can take it abroad.