Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's also stuff like the Specifications page mentioning "40 kWh battery" as standard and spelling errors galore.

...what do you mean? Is the frunk cargo space more than 0.9 qubic inches (=15 qubic centimeters) ?:)

- - - Updated - - -

Pricing page for tesla norway is a bit confusing. It says the performance model includes "upgraded wheels" while at the same time mentioning 21" wheels as an 22250NOK option.

Is 21" wheels included in the base price for performance model or not for those who already have a reservation?

I would suspect it is not, as it would make the EU Sig premium look substantially worse (NOK 38.000 instead of NOK 16.000)

Last edited:
I would suspect it is not, as it would make the EU Sig premium look substantially worse (NOK 31.000 instead of NOK 16.000)
If that turns out to be true I dont see any sense in the 1700€ "rebate" for EU-customers. We obviously will get an increase in price even if we made a reservation before the price increase was announced.

When I made my reservation the performance model included "performance wheels"...

I hope its included because otherwise I feel a bit like being played for a fool here. So much that I'm close to considering cancelling here. Even if I can afford it. Just so annoyed by this...

Not to mention that there doesnt seem to be an option for more sportier seats which several tesla-reps in europe has "confirmed" would be there for the EU-version. I would gladly pay extra for seats like the top of the line Merc-seats with massage and AC. Same for parking sensors, foldable mirrors etc etc.

Paying extra for something that US-customers gets included is just a slap in the face.

The EU pricing put the Perf option + perf wheels at $19500 before taxes, while in the US it $15000. That's a $4500 difference on a option originally priced at $15000, ouch !
I'm not planning to cancel, but the perf option (which I considered) is surely out of the question now. Disappointing.

Not to mention that there doesnt seem to be an option for more sportier seats which several tesla-reps in europe has "confirmed" would be there for the EU-version. I would gladly pay extra for seats like the top of the line Merc-seats with massage and AC. Same for parking sensors, foldable mirrors etc etc.

Well it's long known that the Model S is a bit spartan in the gimmik department. This is the early adopter price to pay. Instead of those luxery, safety and toy featers we get to drive electric. I too am a bit sad that actually, you buy the future of driving, a big step maybe in a bit better enviroment and so on, but it doesn't feel like the future additional features...

I'm sure the Model S 2.0 will be way better in that regard, but Tesla will have a hard time catching up with the 'older and bigger' companies. But there may be many possibilities for them to trade those technoligy gaps in.

Hi felixtb,

We don't view 3-phase charging as a pricing issue. However, just to clarify, European Model S will have the ability to 3-phase charge.

GeorgeB

Thx for confirming, but will it be true 20 or 22kW support for 3x32A socket, if so, is it true that Model S has different plug (charging port) for EU?
If It takes only 1 or 2 phases from 3-phase soket, it won't be able to charge 20kW and that is NOT 3-phase support. And than, of course, I understand it is not a pricing issue :)

As I noted on the prices and specifications page it says it is "IEC type 2 compatible". As far as I know that is Mennekes. As the person above me asked, is it compatible, or does it actually have a Mennekes port?

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Nothing on the GB price page yet.

I went to have a look at the German page. Agree that it reads as if it does have a Type 2 connector, but then it talk about the growing network of superchargers and has 10 and 20kW charging options. So now I'm confused.

By the way, someone should tell Tesla we do not have HD radio in Europe. DAB, yes.

Last edited:
If not previoulsy reported, from Green Car reports:

Tesla Motors [NSDQ:TSLA] has announced European pricing for the Model S, set to go on sale there next year.

Speaking on the Tesla Blog, Tesla vice president George Blankenship revealed that the company is using a transparent approach to European pricing, making no more profit per car than it does in the U.S.

In the Netherlands, where Tesla is basing its European operations, a 60 kWh Model S kicks off at €72,600 ($96,000). 85 kWh models start at €83,150 ($110,000), and the Model S Performance starts at €97,550 ($129,000).

Signature models, arriving in the Spring, cost €101,400 ($134,000), and Signature Performance cars will be €110,950 ($147,000). All prices are before local incentives, and inclusive of purchase tax.

That purchase tax, plus a slight price increase to account for transport costs, import duties and other costs relevant to individual European countries (plus exchange rates) explains the large price difference between European and U.S. pricing. U.S. pricing starts at $67,400 for the 60 kWh model.

Blankenship also confirmed that the 40 kWh model won't be available in Europe, at least initially--Tesla may choose to sell it in Europe at a later date.

Tesla will also offer deductions of €1,700 ($2,250) to buyers who already hold a Model S reservation in Europe, or plan to do so by the end of December. Buyers will need to finalize their order within four weeks of receiving their "Invitation to Configure" from Tesla.

Model S Signature models will start arriving by late Spring, and non-Signature car deliveries will start in Summer 2013.

Interested parties can head to their relevant European Tesla website.

Thanks for the update.
But the twin charger option does not make sense in the context of 3 phase charging and should be removed to avoid confusion.

How did you come to this conclusion ? My take on this is you can charge with single or three-phase up to 10kW standard, and up to 20kW with the twin chargers. You do not need three chargers to take advantage of three-phase, just two rectifiers. One single phase and one three-phase with the car auto-sensing number of phases and engaging the correct rectifier for the job. The output is DC which can be fed to as many chargers you'd like.

With this system both 400V TN three-phase and 230V IT three-phase can be supported. Just use wye/star connection for 400V and delta for 230V. The output is still DC and the chargers won't see any difference.

How did you come to this conclusion ? My take on this is you can charge with single or three-phase up to 10kW standard, and up to 20kW with the twin chargers. You do not need three chargers to take advantage of three-phase, just two rectifiers. One single phase and one three-phase with the car auto-sensing number of phases and engaging the correct rectifier for the job. The output is DC which can be fed to as many chargers you'd like.

With this system both 400V TN three-phase and 230V IT three-phase can be supported. Just use wye/star connection for 400V and delta for 230V. The output is still DC and the chargers won't see any difference.

Well, this is exactely the confusion I'm talking about. This is your interpretation, but for sure there are many more :)

According to your conclusion, what kind of plug Model S have? Standard 2-pin as US version? Or Mennekes plug? Or something else?

According to your conclusion, what kind of plug Model S have? Standard 2-pin as US version? Or Mennekes plug? Or something else?

Probably an adaption of the US plug with two more pins (L2,L3). Probably not Mennekes because that would destroy the SuperCharging possibility (70A vs. 250A for the Tesla plug). But they tout Mennekes compatibility so that either means an included Mennekes-Tesla cable (most likely) or a can-adapter (not as likely).

Observations on EU prices / Germany

Hi everyone,

a few points I noticed on the German Model S pricing page:

1. No mention that 8 year service cost is included in 60kWh base model price of EUR 71,400, whereas the swiss page includes it for a price of CHF 85,900 which equals EUR 71,200. So here is hoping that Tesla includes service cost in the vehicle price, as was discussed in this forum before.
  2. Edit: it is unclear if the prices shown are before or after price increase. Early reservation holders will get a EUR 1,700 rebate plus VAT.
  3. Edit: unlike early North American reservation holders, EU Model S Performance reservation holders have to pay for the 21" wheels upgrade. This part of the price increase seems to be in effect right from the start for EU customers.
  4. It was mentioned in the price increase blog entry that all seats would be heated, even the textile ones.
    After the price change, all vehicles will include 12-way adjustable, heated front seats as standard equipment at no charge.
    Edit: The pricing page now reads that textile seats are 12 way adjustable and heated, too.
  5. The charging info is sparse. I would like to learn the details, how the 3 phase aspect is handled with new charging port and single or twin chargers.
  6. The HPWC has no price info (what is TBC?). I doubt that it makes sense to offer the HPWC at all in Europe, since 80A on a single phase is way out of code. I want to charge my Model S from a 32A CEE socket, that can deliver up to 22kW on a 5 wire line with 6mm² (roughly AWG #9), thank you.

Last edited:
[*]It was mentioned in the price increase blog entry that all seats would be heated, even the textile ones.

The pricing page still reads as if heated seats come with leather only.

The textile seats in the USA are 8 way ajustable, but in Europe 12 way adjustable. I assume that they are heated for that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

[*]The prices shown appear to be after price increase. Early reservation holders will get a EUR 1,700 rebate plus VAT.

The USA prices are still listed without the price increase, so I see no reason to believe the European prices include the price increase yet.

Hi everyone,

a few points I noticed on the German Model S pricing page:

1. Early Model S Performance reservation holders will get the 21" wheels at no additional cost instead of EUR 3,650 (but no refund for downgrading to 19", another topic discussed before).

I looked at the German pricing page, and could not find the info you have stated above. Nor has this been my interpretation on the communication from Tesla. Could you please direct me to the info, as I'm eager to have this confirmed. :)

The HPWC has no price info (what is TBC?). I doubt that it makes sense to offer the HPWC at all in Europe, since 80A on a single phase is way out of code. I want to charge my Model S from a 32A CEE socket, that can deliver up to 22kW on a 5 wire line with 6mm² (roughly AWG #9), thank you.

It is not the same HPWC. Surely they will offer a 3-phase version for the EU. I might get it as the alternative is another Mobile Connector. I'm not going to pack and unpack the included one all the time, I want a dedicated charging cable at home.

Hmm, 32A on 6mm2 ? In Norway, 32A usually requires 10mm2 cable. 6mm2 is only good to 25A.