Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-Box Mennekes to CEE (60309) Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prototype for IEC 62196 (Mennekes) to Roadster plug

Since this group buy is dead or never happened, I made a version of this - Mennekes to Roadster plug adapter rated to 63A. I'm sending a couple prototypes out this week to be tested and then if there's still any interest, I will make them available for about 600 EUR including shipping (group buy price). Please let me know if you are interested so I can see if it's worth it to make any more. It will just include the adapter without any cable but those should be easy to find. It only uses 1 phase from the Mennekes socket.

I am a little confused? what type of adapter? is it just a menekes plug end or is there a wire attached and another plug end of somesort? initially we were talking about a complete tesla to menekes cable. so please explain what you are proposing to us? can you take a picture of your adapter?

I could be very interested but need to understand. sorry........

thanks

I am a little confused? what type of adapter? is it just a menekes plug end or is there a wire attached and another plug end of somesort? initially we were talking about a complete tesla to menekes cable. so please explain what you are proposing to us? can you take a picture of your adapter?

I could be very interested but need to understand. sorry........

thanks

here's a couple of pics:
IMGP0088.JPG
IMGP0091.JPG

You will need a cable to go from my adapter to the EVSE (charging station) outlet. You can buy the cable from a number of sources. I can probably help you find one but I'm hoping somebody else will do a group-buy in your region because the 63A cables are heavy and less shipping is better. Maybe you only need a 32A cable? Let me know if you are interested. In fact anyone who is interested please let me know because i won't bother making any more of these if there's only a very small number of people.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Last week I saw two prototype Tesla Mennekes cables. One was Mennekes to "California" (for the UMC) and the other was Mennekes to the Roadster connector.

However, Tesla still seem to be labouring under the impression that there are only 3 Mennekes EVSE in existence, when there are now even 3 in my district, so please contact them and say you want this.

Last week I saw two prototype Tesla Mennekes cables. One was Mennekes to "California" (for the UMC) and the other was Mennekes to the Roadster connector.

Where did you see a prototype Mennekes to Roadster connector? I can't believe someone did that besides me.

However, Tesla still seem to be labouring under the impression that there are only 3 Mennekes EVSE in existence, when there are now even 3 in my district, so please contact them and say you want this.

Better at this point to leave Tesla alone and support the private efforts. I'd like to get something back for the many hours and thousands I have invested in developing a prototype. I will probably be able to ship some of these starting next week that will charge at the Mennekes max of 63 Amps.

I'm a bit lost on where all this is right now.

I've been nagging at Tesla since before I bought my roadster. I've just heard they're about to supply a 32a Mennekes cable solution for £593 in the UK. Is there a cheaper approach than this? (and any UMC adaptor solution?)

If anyone has a solution to sell me, please PM me!

I'm a bit lost on where all this is right now.

I've been nagging at Tesla since before I bought my roadster. I've just heard they're about to supply a 32a Mennekes cable solution for £593 in the UK. Is there a cheaper approach than this? (and any UMC adaptor solution?)

If anyone has a solution to sell me, please PM me!

PM sent. I have a solution 63A capable.

For interest, here is the complete solution that Evan Tuer made for me so that I could offer the car in September to nPower (a UK electricity utility) to exhibit.

Evan removed the cable from my MC240 and added a type 2 plug from Mennekes to the end. This was successfully tested at 32A at a Charge Your Car charger near Berwick Upon Tweed, and was then used at the Energy Exhibition by nPower. To complete things and allow me once again to charge at 30A at home, Evan has just finished adding a type 2 socket to the MC240 as shown.

I can now travel in the UK using both ZeroCarbonWorld (and other) 32A "Commando" sockets by plugging the Mennekes to Tesla cable in via the MC240. Or where there are type 2 charging points I can just plug straight into them.

IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
Image.jpg
Image 1.jpg

I appreciate that there are many solutions now coming available, but if anyone likes this one I am sure Evan would quote you. He is @ka1mar on Twitter, or PM me and I'll connect you.

i am also a bit confused. How could someone provide a direct cable between charge station and roadster without handling the pilot signal, also how will the pilot signal handle different capacities like 32A and 63A?

Also i heard that the IEC 62196(-2) protocol is interpreted different by all the charging station manufactures. e.g. i hear from not getting the cable back after finished charge, which would be a nightmare after midnight charge stopp in the middle of nowhere.

i am very interested in a 32A charging cable for my roadster to connect to RWE, E.ON, Enercity....... charge points.

i live between Düsseldorf an Nijmegen, does one of got a cable already? i would like to test it, (and also buy my own one of course)

cheers
Michael

i am also a bit confused. How could someone provide a direct cable between charge station and roadster without handling the pilot signal, also how will the pilot signal handle different capacities like 32A and 63A?
It depends on the charge station. From what I understand, the pilot signal used throughout Europe is compatible with the Roadster. What are you confused about?

Also i heard that the IEC 62196(-2) protocol is interpreted different by all the charging station manufactures. e.g. i hear from not getting the cable back after finished charge, which would be a nightmare after midnight charge stopp in the middle of nowhere.
This is just another example of why it's a bad idea to require every EV to carry its own cable in the first place. It's a problem that the standard does not define plug types very well, and it's a problem for manufacturers and EV owners because the so-called standard is constantly changing. But frankly some of it needs to change because it is poorly conceived IMHO. I thought the protocol to unlock the cable is supposed to be the same everywhere. No? Maybe it's a problem when the pilot signal is not passed straight through between the charge station and the Roadster?

i am very interested in a 32A charging cable for my roadster to connect to RWE, E.ON, Enercity....... charge points.

i live between Düsseldorf an Nijmegen, does one of got a cable already? i would like to test it, (and also buy my own one of course)

cheers
Michael

I have a cable that will work well for this and also be capable of handling 70A which is the highest possible with IEC 62196 if using single phase. When you have to wait, there's nothing like 63 or 70A. One end plugs into the charge station and the other end has a Roadster connector. I'm unable to ship them currently but hoping to have some available soon. I have sent one to Germany for testing.

Had a call of my Tesla rep. The mennekes-cables are available and they've put one aside for me. Will come in with the mail within a few days!
I'm really glad. Finally I'll be able to charge all over the place and not only at home or my office :)