TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gol4, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Multiple car support is now enabled. To switch between cars just say "switch cars". It would be nice if someone who actually owns multiple teslas can validate that this is actually working.
    Some invocation terms have been changed so voice recognition should be more accurate in general.
    Last set of changes had introduced some errors (e.g. while getting name of car). They have been fixed.

I see that most users have moved over to using the "My Tesla" skill. If you are still using EV Car skill, here is a direct link to get to "My Tesla": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E . Feel free to leave honest feedback !

If you have feature requests, please post them here. Thanks.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. GreenColorado

GreenColorado Member

This is such a great Echo skill! Thank you for working through the Amazon maze to get it up and running!!

• Like x 1
  3. ltropiano

ltropiano New Member

When can you share the code / Github so the community can contribute?

4. Gol4

Gol4 Member

I haven't taken a decision on that yet. Are there ideas or code you are thinking of contributing?

5. tomp

tomp Member

This is great. Can it lock/unlock the car?

6. Gol4

Gol4 Member

It can (or rather could) but Amazon asked me to disable that feature for security reasons.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. xspace

xspace Member

Excellent work, thanks very much! Is there any chance you could also provide the name "Tesla", rather than "EV Car"?

8. Gol4

Gol4 Member

I have created another skill named "My Tesla" that uses "my car" as the invocation. The functionality right now is identical to the EV Car skill. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E.
    (Amazon does not allow using just "tesla" as the invocation).

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Gol4

Gol4 Member

A new version of the Alexa skill is now live. Here are the release notes for this version. If you have any comments or suggestions, post them on this forum. Feel free to leave feedback on the Amazon page too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E

2017-06-04 Ver-1-2
    ===============
    • Added "Conversation Mode" where mic remains open so you can issue multiple commands.
      Starting a session (e.g. 'open EV Car') will keep listening for commands till user says 'Stop' or 'Cancel'.
      However, using one-shot commands (e.g. 'ask EV Car for battery status') will close session after that one command.
    • Added support for ChargeLimitSetIntent. e.g. "start charging to 90 percent"
    • Setting driver/passenger temperature works independently now (Sync setting in car should be off)
    • "start charging" now gives better feedback (e.g. when not plugged in)
    • Charging summary now shows power instead of current.
    • Charging power value is more accurate now.
    • Improved accuracy for some commands.
    • "start A.C" was stopping instead of starting A.C
    • Retry on Tesla API Errors (error codes 408 and 500 are often returned by Tesla APIs)
    • Some numbers were not rounded correctly.
    • Reworked backend to support Google Home / Google Assistant.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  10. tezzla

tezzla Supporting Member

How about using my car's name (and Elon's pronunciation): TEZZLA

• Love x 1
  11. Gol4

Gol4 Member

Amazon did subsequently approve "My Tesla (Unofficial)" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  12. xspace

xspace Member

Thanks Gol4!!!

13. Gol4

Gol4 Member

14. BeesKnees

BeesKnees Member

I'm curious about how much code you found could be common with echo version? Did the integration abstract nicely? Or did you you only reuse the Tesla apis and end up with 2 implementations?

15. Gol4

Gol4 Member

There was a surprising large piece of code that could be reused. It helped that the Google Assistant Intents were designed to be exactly same (name and variables) as the one designed for Amazon Alexa. For someone starting afresh, it might help to start with api.ai which can generate the base config for both Google and Alexa.

16. BeesKnees

BeesKnees Member

Thanks tons.

17. essmd

essmd Phantom X

I just connected my Echo and Android Google with this, Great Work!!!

But because I want it all, I tried to access via Google assistant on my android wear watch,, but it returns "EV Car isn't supported on this device"

Any chance you can make that happen?

18. Gol4

Gol4 Member

:) That would be cool. I see no reason why it would not work. I just tried it on an Android Wear and see the same message. Will try to get more information from Google about what it takes to get this going on Wear.

• Like x 1
  19. essmd

essmd Phantom X

Any update on Connecting to Android Wear?

• Like x 1
  20. Gol4

Gol4 Member

The Google team confirmed today that Google Assistant Actions are not supported on Android Wear yet. ..

"Currently is not supported in android Wear, it is available in Android Phones with Android N/M and in the Google Home device."