Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multiple car support is now enabled. To switch between cars just say "switch cars". It would be nice if someone who actually owns multiple teslas can validate that this is actually working.
Some invocation terms have been changed so voice recognition should be more accurate in general.
Last set of changes had introduced some errors (e.g. while getting name of car). They have been fixed.

I see that most users have moved over to using the "My Tesla" skill. If you are still using EV Car skill, here is a direct link to get to "My Tesla": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E . Feel free to leave honest feedback !

If you have feature requests, please post them here. Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200 and Doctt
Excellent work, thanks very much! Is there any chance you could also provide the name "Tesla", rather than "EV Car"?

I have created another skill named "My Tesla" that uses "my car" as the invocation. The functionality right now is identical to the EV Car skill. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E.
(Amazon does not allow using just "tesla" as the invocation).

A new version of the Alexa skill is now live. Here are the release notes for this version. If you have any comments or suggestions, post them on this forum. Feel free to leave feedback on the Amazon page too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E

2017-06-04 Ver-1-2
===============
  • Added "Conversation Mode" where mic remains open so you can issue multiple commands.
    Starting a session (e.g. 'open EV Car') will keep listening for commands till user says 'Stop' or 'Cancel'.
    However, using one-shot commands (e.g. 'ask EV Car for battery status') will close session after that one command.
  • Added support for ChargeLimitSetIntent. e.g. "start charging to 90 percent"
  • Setting driver/passenger temperature works independently now (Sync setting in car should be off)
  • "start charging" now gives better feedback (e.g. when not plugged in)
  • Charging summary now shows power instead of current.
  • Charging power value is more accurate now.
  • Improved accuracy for some commands.
  • "start A.C" was stopping instead of starting A.C
  • Retry on Tesla API Errors (error codes 408 and 500 are often returned by Tesla APIs)
  • Some numbers were not rounded correctly.
  • Reworked backend to support Google Home / Google Assistant.

On another front, I had created a clone which could be invoked as "My Tesla" (instead of EV Car), not surprisingly they rejected that because of intellectual property concerns. I have been asked to provide documents proving that I have the rights to the word "Tesla" :) I tried to find some workaround using "unofficial" etc. in the title and description but they insist that the invocation words cannot be "My Tesla". Unless someone can come up with some creative workaround, we'll have to stick with "EV Car".

How about using my car's name (and Elon's pronunciation): TEZZLA

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
I'm curious about how much code you found could be common with echo version? Did the integration abstract nicely? Or did you you only reuse the Tesla apis and end up with 2 implementations?

There was a surprising large piece of code that could be reused. It helped that the Google Assistant Intents were designed to be exactly same (name and variables) as the one designed for Amazon Alexa. For someone starting afresh, it might help to start with api.ai which can generate the base config for both Google and Alexa.

I just connected my Echo and Android Google with this, Great Work!!!

But because I want it all, I tried to access via Google assistant on my android wear watch,, but it returns "EV Car isn't supported on this device"

Any chance you can make that happen?

I just connected my Echo and Android Google with this, Great Work!!!

But because I want it all, I tried to access via Google assistant on my android wear watch,, but it returns "EV Car isn't supported on this device"

Any chance you can make that happen?

:) That would be cool. I see no reason why it would not work. I just tried it on an Android Wear and see the same message. Will try to get more information from Google about what it takes to get this going on Wear.

Reactions: Max*