Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Rich Rebuilds" on YouTube had no problem with posting the car photos he was eventually able to get for a used Model X he spent a couple of months trying to buy. It's worth seeing his videos documenting the ordeal.

(I've enjoyed a lot of his other videos too.)

I hope his videos documenting how horribly broken the whole CPO program is will compel Tesla to fix the currently broken way they sell these cars and come up with a way to sell quality cars in reasonable condition. The videos have now been viewed by over 2 million people.

Tesla makes the best designed cars available to buy but there has got to be a better way to sell their CPO cars than the awful way they currently treat their customers.

Reactions: BridgeMojo
"Rich Rebuilds" on YouTube had no problem with posting the car photos he was eventually able to get for a used Model X he spent a couple of months trying to buy. It's worth seeing his videos documenting the ordeal.

(I've enjoyed a lot of his other videos too.)

Yes, I watch all his awesome videos as well. But it gets down to a copyright 'fair use' argument. He is most certainly using the photos for the purposes of criticism, parody, and/or commentary, which is allowed under the law. Posting those photos on EV-CPO without permission from Tesla is none of those things, and I really don't want to find out or get a cease-and-desist letter. IOW, I'm not going to go poking the bear. ;)

Reactions: BridgeMojo
Yes, I watch all his awesome videos as well. But it gets down to a copyright 'fair use' argument. He is most certainly using the photos for the purposes of criticism, parody, and/or commentary, which is allowed under the law. Posting those photos on EV-CPO without permission from Tesla is none of those things, and I really don't want to find out or get a cease-and-desist letter. IOW, I'm not going to go poking the bear. ;)

So, obviously, the solution is to make your Web site a parody Web site with Tesla listings? :p

Hi Hank,
Here’s an unusual listing. I’ve not yet seen a P85D without AutoPilot activated. However it clearly has AutoPilot hardware and even calls it out in the list, but EV-CPO lists no such hardware. I thought you would want to know. This could be due to the car being a “coming soon” listing.
Model S P85D LRNTN7992WAX | Tesla

I think it is what it says it is -- AP1 hardware, but just not activated. I'm pretty sure it was an option not to order "Tech Package with Autopilot" back then. While "AP1 Hardware" shows it on Tesla's site, it looks like they're now using option code DA01 to denote AP hardware without software.

edit: Yeah, looks like that's what Tesla is using DA01 for, but the description ("No Autopilot Package") is misleading. I fixed the site to reflect this. Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mongo
Of course! Go to the column selector, check off the "Date Added" box and refresh the page.

This will show the date the car was first added in the system. If a car is added, then removed or sold, and then relisted, the "Date Added" date will not change. It always reflects the date the car was first added into the system and not any subsequent relisiting dates.

upload_2019-2-7_7-47-14.png

Of course! Go to the column selector, check off the "Date Added" box and refresh the page.

This will show the date the car was first added in the system. If a car is added, then removed or sold, and then relisted, the "Date Added" date will not change. It always reflects the date the car was first added into the system and not any subsequent relisiting dates.

View attachment 375143

That's super helpful to see. I didn't realize they are adding so many cars every day.

It's a bit odd though that there are still only 9 AP2+ cars available. I would have thought we'd have more than that by now with all the 2 and 3 year leases coming due. Perhaps people are holding onto those cars beyond the lease term in anticipation of an update?

My ‘13 S85 traded over 6 weeks ago just now finally shows up on EV-CPO. Anyone wanting an S85 in truly superb condition (at least it was when traded) might want to consider it.

85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN0DFP26659 | Tesla

Noted it's at $42.6k at the moment.

Just curious: how much did Tesla give you for it?

Asking as we noted ~$20k spreads on what they offered us on trade-in for our our 2017 MS P100D vs. what they were asking for their CPO, yet one-year older P100D's, with as many as three TIMES the miles, no less . . . .

Need we report that we didn't buy a new 2019 Tesla because of this absurdity?

Trade value was $37,600, which was above Kelly Blue Book wholesale. And trading saved me over $2300 in Fl sales tax. In essence I got just under $40,000. I don’t think I could have done any better with a private party sale and I avoided the hassle that it involves.

Trade value was $37,600, which was above Kelly Blue Book wholesale. And trading saved me over $2300 in Fl sales tax. In essence I got just under $40,000. I don’t think I could have done any better with a private party sale and I avoided the hassle that it involves.

If you value that 2 year CPO warranty at about $2,500, they are essentially selling it for what they bought the car from you... At 42K it might be a tough sell because that's very close to how much 85Ds are selling for...

You definitely got a great trade in value!

There’s a little more to the trade in story: Model S wholesale values were dropping very fast late last year. I saw that and decided to act fast. The KBB wholesale was about $36k when Tesla offered me $37,600. A few weeks later I bought an inventory car that was located here at the delivery center. The purchase order Tesla prepared showed a trade of $33,100, which was very close to KBB at that time. I told the Tesla OA who made the initial trade offer that I would not accept the lower one. He said he would have it adjusted to the previous offer - and he did.

They also offered me a $3300 “price adjustment” on the new car which was fresh off the delivery truck. It’s apparent that there is more negotiation flexibility than Tesla would have you believe. Maybe due to the end-of-quarter push.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
You did VERY well--congratulations!

And kudos to EV-CPO.com for provding us a usable search/rack-and-stack website, something that Tesla doesn't seem to want to do.

Odd that they're so good on the product itself, yet so bad on used car trade-ins, the now-terrible CPO "refurbishment" process, and the actual marketing and sales of these used Teslas.

There is SO MUCH LOW-HANGING FRUIT here:

1. The vast majority of Tesla employees should be actually driving new or used Teslas. They aren't, and that's just stupid. Not only would this give more insights into life as Tesla owners, but it's just the right thing to do. (Think Henry Ford.)

2. Power company and grid employees: ditto. Ostensibly, even if a Tesla is powered by the most coal-heavy power grid in the US is still far cleaner than any ICE . . . .

3. Environmental non-profit members and employees: ditto.

4. STEM: professors, teachers, climate scientists, etc. should all be benefiting from an "insider channel" for used Teslas at reduced prices. Word of of mouth, and acting in accordance with one's values, all mean things, especially to students whom we expect to be Tesla buyers within a few years.

5. Military and First Responders: ditto, especially since the military pays the highest cost for our planet's crazy oil addiction, while FR's pay for the environmental impacts.

5. Owners of Teslas approaching the end of the initial warranty period (via miles or age), should be primed for a new Tesla purchase via enhanced Trade-In valuations, and queries to see what specific inventory cars might meet their needs. To my knowledge, no such program exists.

ELON: GET ON ALL OF THIS; it's "no-brainer" stuff and it's you're leaving so much opportunity on the table!

May I suggest a feature that I think will be super useful for EVERYONE including CPO shoppers as well as Tesla themselves.

Can you please add a field for each car listing where we can post the link for photos?

This way if we are interested in a car and have received a link with photos, we can update it on your Web site so that FINALLY everyone can see photos of cars listed.

I just can't imagine why Tesla insists in making it so hard to obtain photos for used cars they are selling by clicking a button and contacting them individually to request photos rather than just sharing the photos they already have with the listing. At least this way we can crowdsource the photo links so customers know which cars are damaged so they can avoid them.

I've noticed of late that about 1/2 the cars have a very similar web address for the pictures. The format is as follows:

https://backwebs.homenetinc.com/tesla/details/@/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/

where the XXXXXXXXXXX is the VIN. So you can always just try that and have about a 50/50 chance of getting the pics directly. Note also that the XXXXXXXXX is the full 17 digit VIN, not the abbreviated 6 digit version.