Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-CPO inventory has declined from 560 cars to 484 in 10 days - normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla normally release cars into CPO availability in waves? When I started looking 10 days ago the total US listed availability of both inventory and CPO cars was 560. This number has steadily dwindled and I haven't noticed one instance of it momentarily blipping higher, even for a few hours - as one might expect if cars were constant coming into inventory and being purchased.

Instead I've only seen declines - just today it is down from 489 cars this morning to 484 as of late this afternoon. The vast majority are CPO - with only 37 listed as being inventory.

Normal behavior?

Don't forget Tesla randomly removes and puts cars back on sales in batches. Not all removed cars are actual sales.

That said, well priced cars in the $40Ks and $50Ks seem to be selling quite well and it is in this price range the best deals are to be had. Especially the P85s in the $50Ks and $60Ks.

There's a 2013 P85 nicely equipped for $59K:

https://www.teslamotors.com/models/preowned/P10569

Plus all the cars Musk steals from inventory. :biggrin:

Down 20 more cars to 464 as of January 28. You don't suppose that if an updated Model S (interior, battery, new AP hardware?) is coming soon, that Tesla is taking fewer cars as CPO inventory - instead wholesaling them to dealers - thinking that they will be worth less and harder to move if an update is rolled out? Just seems weird that the # of cars for sale keeps dropping day by day with no increases.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - the number of un-registered inventory cars available is down more than 30% in 10 days - from over 40 to 28 today. If Tesla is getting ready to introduce a refreshed interior in March maybe they aren't putting new cars into inventory service, and instead using CPO's as demos?

There's no new refresh imminent. There are about 100 other factors that influence the CPO inventory than Tesla trying to manipulate it because they're planning a Model S update (interior, exterior, battery, etc). They want to sell as many cars as possible, as soon as possible, for as much as possible, getting that sitting and depreciating inventory off their books (and lots) as soon as possible. They've got better things to do than manipulate CPO stock of a few hundred cars pending a "refresh".

There's no new refresh imminent. There are about 100 other factors that influence the CPO inventory than Tesla trying to manipulate it because they're planning a Model S update (interior, exterior, battery, etc). They want to sell as many cars as possible, as soon as possible, for as much as possible, getting that sitting and depreciating inventory off their books (and lots) as soon as possible. They've got better things to do than manipulate CPO stock of a few hundred cars pending a "refresh".

Agreed. This one, like Telsa intentionally leaking beta software to non-beta recipients to test reactions, gets filed under the "not even close to worth the effort" category.

Down 20 more cars to 464 as of January 28. You don't suppose that if an updated Model S (interior, battery, new AP hardware?) is coming soon, that Tesla is taking fewer cars as CPO inventory - instead wholesaling them to dealers - thinking that they will be worth less and harder to move if an update is rolled out? Just seems weird that the # of cars for sale keeps dropping day by day with no increases.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - the number of un-registered inventory cars available is down more than 30% in 10 days - from over 40 to 28 today. If Tesla is getting ready to introduce a refreshed interior in March maybe they aren't putting new cars into inventory service, and instead using CPO's as demos?

Sometimes tea leafs are just tea leafs. I wouldn't over think this. I would say that new CPOs sometimes appear to come in batches. They normally don't put them in the system until they are approved to be CPO worthy, and has been mentioned here, that there is a shadow inventory that exists between a trade-in and it going in to the national inventory. That's where the deals are had.

So they may have 20 to 50 cars that are being moved without them ever being accounted for publicly. That's how I got mine!

I'm just hoping for ventilated seats as an option before I have to take delivery - I've pushed it back all the way to late April. So I'm hoping and hoping. :)

That might happen, might not.. who knows. But the standard advice applies: There will always be upgrades "right around the corner". Come late April, there will be some other rumor of a pending upgrade, then what? Just buy the car, and be happy with what you got. I have an ancient P85+ with

pre-AP,
pre-dual motors,
pre-folding mirrors,
pre-parking sensors,
pre-LTE,
pre-heated steering wheel,
pre-next gen seats

.... And I love every minute of it.

That might happen, might not.. who knows. But the standard advice applies: There will always be upgrades "right around the corner". Come late April, there will be some other rumor of a pending upgrade, then what? Just buy the car, and be happy with what you got. I have an ancient P85+ with

pre-AP,
pre-dual motors,
pre-folding mirrors,
pre-parking sensors,
pre-LTE,
pre-heated steering wheel,
pre-next gen seats

.... And I love every minute of it.

While I don't own a Model S (at least not yet), I agree with Hank. Most features are nice to have and given our druthers most of us would take almost all of them, but, they come at a price and if you have any kind of budgetary concerns then you have to pick and choose. A base model S 60 with zero options 60 looks like almost any other Model S and driving own a city street in traffic or steady-state cruise at freeway speeds feels like most of them too. You have to decide how much each incremental piece is worth TO YOU. I find I value the thinks I see, feel and use EVERY TIME AND EVERY MOMENT I drive and/or use the car the most followed by the things I use MOST FREQUENTLY after that. So, as an example, the color of the car since I see it every time I look at it, ends up actually being pretty important to me. I want to feel that "man, that looks sweet!" feeling when I see it. On the interior, the colors I see and seat I sit in are king. That translates (for me) to leather and the color I want. After that, it is power and ride quality/handling which translates to "P" models and air suspension. Rims end up in this weird love/hate situation since I love the looks of the larger rims (i.e. stuff I see every day), but know they can impact ride and have high dollar replacement costs - usually how "ugly" the base rims are on a given car comes into play here. I next tend to appreciate heated seats (even in Texas) and keyless entry. Most of the remaining tech is a lot lower on the list.

Currently, it's at 96 cars! What happened? Last I checked we were around $450+

cpo.png