Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ev.energy app + Octopus Agile = Win :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you enable idles then click on sleep and idle icons, you may be able to see what is causing the car to wake up. Its possibly not a TeslaFi issue since the car at time of screenshot is not being polled by TeslaFi and the car does sleep which is further evidence that TeslaFi is not polling at times.

By the timings, something is waking the car on a regular basis approx every 12-16 minutes, and it could well be something mis configured in TeslaFi, but it may be something else. I would not expect to see TeslaFi doing this out of the box. It is equally possible something else is at play, which TeslaFi logs may highlight. We get regular waking of the car at certain points of the day (the rest of the time its sleeping for very long periods of time) - nothing obvious but its definitely not TeslaFi - these cars do wake for various reasons and it seems to be normal behaviour.

Once TeslaFi has stopped polling, it wont just wake the car up unless you have some scheduled event that runs. Something else will be waking the car.
if you can't figure it out then change your password that will invalidate all existing API credentials and stop anthing polling the car. then you can add back in services like Teslafi and EV energy etc one at a time to see what is causing it.

Reactions: Roy W.
I've already proven its not TeslaFi by disabling polling - unless there is a bug in TeslaFi that it still polls when its not meant to in which case there would be many post about it. The problem with turning off polling, or, simply deactivating TeslaFi, is that you are then blind to when the car is sleeping or not. The only way to see if car is asleep, it to see how long it wakes up.

Without touching anything, car will sleep right through the night, then part way through the day, it goes through a period of sleeping/waking, then sleeps sound again for extended periods of time. I have noticed that on warmer days, its more restless. We also know for certain that Tesla interrogate the car during the day.

I've already proven its not TeslaFi by disabling polling - unless there is a bug in TeslaFi that it still polls when its not meant to in which case there would be many post about it. The problem with turning off polling, or, simply deactivating TeslaFi, is that you are then blind to when the car is sleeping or not. The only way to see if car is asleep, it to see how long it wakes up.

Without touching anything, car will sleep right through the night, then part way through the day, it goes through a period of sleeping/waking, then sleeps sound again for extended periods of time. I have noticed that on warmer days, its more restless. We also know for certain that Tesla interrogate the car during the day.
I'd like to hope that Tesla would generally chose to interrogate the car when its already awake rather than wake it up to do so? The car tells them when its going to sleep and when it wakes up so its not like they don't know.

I must be doing something wrong with the EV.Energy app...

It will obey the 'off-peak' charging option, so if I select my limit at 2p for tonight, with a target ready time of 7am, it correctly indicates that it will start charging at 4am.

If I bump the limit up to 3p, it ignores the cheaper time periods later on and just indicates it will start at midnight which is completely unnecessary to hit the target of 80% by 7am...

I though this was supposed to pick the cheapest times to charge?

I must be doing something wrong with the EV.Energy app...

It will obey the 'off-peak' charging option, so if I select my limit at 2p for tonight, with a target ready time of 7am, it correctly indicates that it will start charging at 4am.

If I bump the limit up to 3p, it ignores the cheaper time periods later on and just indicates it will start at midnight which is completely unnecessary to hit the target of 80% by 7am...

I though this was supposed to pick the cheapest times to charge?
I've just attempted to replicate but my charge start time remained the same.

I've noticed the start time will creep forward based on changes to battery (I run Sentry at home too for now) however a jump of 4 hours seems extreme.

I've been playing with it further and it does still behave oddly when using the 'Off-peak' charging option.

It seems prefer to start the charging in the earliest qualifying slot rather than picking the cheapest ones that will allow it to hit the target charge state.

Anyway, it is working well enough for me as it means I don't have to go out to the car to change a start time any more.

Charge limit set to 80%, current SOC at 57%.
Departure time set to 4pm and off peak threshold set to 4p.

The app is scheduled to begin charging at 3.30am which seems to be utilising the cheapest set of prices found for the day as it could have started at any time after midnight if it just attempted to charge when below the off peak threshold rate:

SmartSelect_20200605-223703.jpg

Sorry, really not sure why it's not working correctly with your setup.

I've been playing with it further and it does still behave oddly when using the 'Off-peak' charging option.

It seems prefer to start the charging in the earliest qualifying slot rather than picking the cheapest ones that will allow it to hit the target charge state.

Anyway, it is working well enough for me as it means I don't have to go out to the car to change a start time any more.
Also, when you look at your consumption graph do you see any gaps where the app has decided to pause charging for a 30 min period as there are cheaper rates later in the day?

SmartSelect_20200605-224235_evenergy.jpg

Also, when you look at your consumption graph do you see any gaps where the app has decided to pause charging for a 30 min period as there are cheaper rates later in the day?

That hasn't happened yet, so far it is charging during any qualifying period, as long as it is below the 'off-peak' limit it will start at the earliest qualifying period, even though there are later cheaper periods sufficient to hit the charge state target...

So for example, tonight, I'm at 52%, if I give it a target of 60% by 7am, it could wait until 5am for the cheapest slots, but it says it will start at 2:30am which is the earliest slot, not the cheapest.

That hasn't happened yet, so far it is charging during any qualifying period, as long as it is below the 'off-peak' limit it will start at the earliest qualifying period, even though there are later cheaper periods sufficient to hit the charge state target...

So for example, tonight, I'm at 52%, if I give it a target of 60% by 7am, it could wait until 5am for the cheapest slots, but it says it will start at 2:30am which is the earliest slot, not the cheapest.
Attached an image of my settings, not sure if that helps.

Do you have Minimise CO2 emissions enabled? Guess that could impact the time it decides to charge at.

Screenshot_20200605-232617_evenergy.jpg

Hadn't heard about the ev.energy app until @Jeeves recommended it. I was looking for something to smartly control my car charging, making use of the best electricity rates for the day.

This seems to work really well. It connects to the car to understand the charge limit, you specify your energy tariff and the time of day that you want your car charged by and it manages the rest, ensuring that the car is charged during the cheapest possible times in order to reach the charge limit by your time of departure, even if that means charging for an hour, taking a break for a couple then resuming for another hour.

Works really well with Agile and there's a large range of other tariffs from Octopus and other suppliers that it'll connect to also.

The app is free, there's some screenshots below and impressively since I've started using it my energy cost has been -£1.09 as it's taking advantage of the plunge rates.

View attachment 544198

View attachment 544204
Just had my Pod-Point installed and applied to switch to octopus today. So with his app, is it as simple as plug in the Pod-Point, and then use the app to schedule charge acceptance based on the best times? Shame the Tesla app cant do scheduled charges this way.

Just had my Pod-Point installed and applied to switch to octopus today. So with his app, is it as simple as plug in the Pod-Point, and then use the app to schedule charge acceptance based on the best times? Shame the Tesla app cant do scheduled charges this way.
Yeah, that's what I've found, also using a PodPoint.

Only thing is when you first plug the car in it will start charging immediately until the ev energy app connects to the car. Just click stop charging in the tesla app and it'll next charge when the ev energy app works out it's cheapest to do so.

Happy to report that it correctly charged overnight in just the negative price periods, so that side of things is working fine.

Would be nice to be able to set the 'off-peak' slider to fractional amounts though. Made no difference last night, but there are days where I'd prefer to be able to set it to amounts like 2.5p for example.

Reactions: Medved_77
Just started exploring the reward function of the app. Given the app is free, I really wasn't expecting to get a £5 Amazon voucher.

Looks like I get 1 point for every 10 kWh charge completed. 20 points and you can redeem for a £5 Amazon or £5 Starbucks voucher.

I'm struggling to work out the catch. You get 25 points if you join with a referral code so please DM if you'd like one.

20200727_163356.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves
Looking at moving to agile from intelligent. Anything still using the ev.energy app, is it working as it should. I've got a hypervolt charger so not directly compatible.
I don't have any info on the ev.energy app but I am doing the same move and have the same charger so following with interest. Have you already started the move? Being on IO the meter should be compatible but the first step is to exchange for a compatible meter which is a bit strange.

I asked for the change earlier today because when comparing from Oct 2023 onwards, I could have saved £500. Although charging is currently costlier, this additional expense is balanced out throughout the day. Every month, according to this app, there hasn't been a single instance where Agile would have been pricier than Intelligent. So even if I kept charging say 12:30-5:30 because ev-energy doesn't work for some reason it should still be cheaper. Only question is what will happen on Thursday with the reduction in the energy price cap.

I suppose the caveat with this is that you have no control over Agile tariffs, as opposed to the guaranteed 5hrs/6hrs on Go/Intelligent respectively.
So if you absolutely need your car to be charged for the next day and rates are high you're out of luck.

Otherwise it's indeed a very elegant solution, effectively bringing the 'Intelligent' Octopus smarts (plug-in & forget) to any electricity tariff/provider!