Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Market Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, it seems to me that the best time to gain market share is when you are production limited. You can can keep prices high and get good early ROI on building out new capacity. But when you're demand limited, you need to put out better product at lower prices to gain share and to utilize excess production capacity. Right now, I think that the whole EV market is a race to ramp up the supply chain and bring more product to market. Later on when EVs dominate the auto market, I think competition will revolve around who has the better product for the money will really matter.
I'm thinking that market share, or % of market, is the wrong metric to track for Tesla, at least in the short term. There's a long term market share that will matter, but it doesn't matter until the market is mature.

For today, the competition can almost ship a 2nd car and increase their market share. Pushing Tesla from 90% down to 67% is pretty easy when the 10%ers start off at such low number of units. As an investor my focus is on Tesla's share of the overall light vehicle market, not share of EV market. That share of overall market is what I follow (as well as the share of all other EV manufacturers).

I'm thinking that market share, or % of market, is the wrong metric to track for Tesla, at least in the short term. There's a long term market share that will matter, but it doesn't matter until the market is mature.

For today, the competition can almost ship a 2nd car and increase their market share. Pushing Tesla from 90% down to 67% is pretty easy when the 10%ers start off at such low number of units. As an investor my focus is on Tesla's share of the overall light vehicle market, not share of EV market. That share of overall market is what I follow (as well as the share of all other EV manufacturers).
I agree that market share isn't very indicative for EVs when everyone is production limited and every manufacturer (except the clueless few who will ) is trying to ramp up production capacity.
I think it's better to look at actual shipment numbers and the increases in those numbers (not % increases).

How do you gain market share if you are production limited?

Making your product so compelling you take other companies' customers and put them on your waiting/reservation list. Or make other OEM's customers leave the market altogether expecting much better value/vehicles in a couple of years.

If your sales are at maximum capacity and other OEMs sales are falling then you are increasing share.

Pushing Tesla from 90% down to 67% is pretty easy when the 10%ers start off at such low number of units.
You're talking about the US EV market, which is irrelevant at well under 10% of global EV sales. The real action is in China and Europe. Both are heavily driven by regulation, so you need to at least be familiar with the lay of the land. EU 95g drove Tesla's EV share way down into single digits. Next year should be better as 95g backs off.

China is harder to figure. The regulatory framework is a mish-mash of federal quotas and incentives combined with city license plate restrictions and local champion favoritism. Tesla killed everyone last year, except SGMW which brilliantly attacked a completely different segment. City cars displace much more pollution per kWh of battery supply, so regulators have reason to favor them. But a tsunami of $5k Hongguang Minis worsens city traffic congestion, so they have equal reason to limit them. How will that shake out? Good question.

SGMW is still cranking along, but it's BYD who is really crushing it today. They should sell 180k EVs in Q3, almost 3x as many as Tesla and ~8x as many as ICE leader VW. But they also had a huge lead in 2018 and early 2019 before a regulatory change kneecapped them. Gotta stay on Emporer Xi's good side! You sure don't hear Elon calling Xi a slave to the unions, lol. Instead we learn China is the most wonderfulest and freedom lovingest country on the planet....

Why didn't I think of that?
Sorry, I don't mean to be a smartass. It seems that more than 95% of what Tesla does to grow is about increasing production over time (resolving bottleneck, working with suppliers, building factories, hiring more employees, expanding sale/service/charging networks, etc.), and the other 5% or less of effort goes into building demand (new products, new features, prices reductions, generating publicity, etc.).

While it takes years to build out a factory, Tesla has a clear road map on how to grow production more than 50% every year. Looking out 2 years, that's more than 125% more capacity required or out 4 years is 400% more capacity. So in the time that it takes to begin production in a new gigafactory, Tesla needs to have mapped out roughly a quadrupling of total capacity. Moreover, the supply chain for everything that a gigafactory requires to make products also needs to ramp up and be ready to quadruple supply to Tesla. Tesla has to do massive multi-year planning just to sustain a 50% annual growth rate.

Moreover, if Tesla's competitors are going to keep pace, they have to do massive multi-year planning. Incremental capacity can come in fits and starts. So looking at market share changes from one year to the next is going to be pretty noisy. It might look like Tesla is in a pickle with US share of EVs dropping from 80% to 66%. But wait until Texas is cranking out Cybertrucks and Model Y. We could see Tesla's US market share surge ahead as new capacity comes online.

The important thing is how much growth Tesla and competitors can sustain over the next 5 or more years. I still think that Tesla's share of the EV market is important to monitor, as is their share of the total auto market. But they address two different issues. EV market share really is about measuring how well can OEMs keep pace with Tesla over the longer time horizon. It measures how capable competitors are at entering the EV market. Conversely, Tesla's share of the total auto market is more specifically about how quickly Tesla can take market share from ICE vehicles. Globally, Tesla is on track to take about 0.5% points of market share this year. That is actually a spectacular gain, but as Tesla scales up it will be able to take more than 1 point per year. My outlook is that Tesla can rise to 20% market share by 2030, and it began with less than 1% in 2020. So that is a massive run, and it depends critically on expanding capacity 50% or better per year. This of course is the big payoff for investors.

So with as important as share of the total market is, why even bother with share of EV market? The answer is that Tesla's ability to take 20% share of the total market is predicated on being able to sustain better than 20% share of EV market as EVs become 100% of the total market. Tesla's ticket to becoming twice the automaker as VW or Toyota is riding the tech advantage that BEVs have over ICE vehicles. As BEVs become 80% or more of the auto market, it will be incredibly difficult for Tesla or any other top EV maker to gain significant share of the total auto market. Most of the gains of market share at that point will come mostly from takes share away from the remaining 20% of the market that still requires motor fuels. Indeed, growing EVs by 10% on a bases of 80% EV penetration will be a huge effort, and growing more than 25% would be a mathematical impossibility. Let's focus in on Tesla. Suppose that by the time EVs reach 80% penetration, Tesla has 25% of the EV market. Thus, it has 20% (= 25% * 80%) of the total auto market. Can it still grow by 50%? Well that would imply taking roughly another 10% points of share from the auto market in a single year. So if ICE is just 20% of the market going into that this year, Tesla would likely need to mostly do conquest sales from other EV makers as those makers feverishly try to cannibalizes there remaining ICE sales into EV sales. So the point is, at 80% EV penetration, it is very unlikely that Tesla will be able to sustain 50% annual growth for another year. And even if this were possible, in the next year EV penetration would be closer to 90% while Tesla is at nearly 30% market share, so one more year of 50% growth is even more nearly impossible to sustain.

No matter how I try to game this out, Tesla has to gain most of its long-term share of the auto market before EVs reach 80% penetration, which I think will happen by about 2030. This is why it is critical for Tesla to grow and maintain very high share of the EV market for the next 5 years.

It's also really important for Tesla to be pursuing stationary storage, solar roofs and bots so that 50% revenue growth can persists through the second half of the decade and into the 2030s. After about 2026, it will be very hard for Tesla to keep growing auto unit sales at 50% because market saturation will progressively become a limiting factor. Additionally, FSD will be key to sustaining auto revenue growth past 2026.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a smartass. It seems that more than 95% of what Tesla does to grow is about increasing production over time (resolving bottleneck, working with suppliers, building factories, hiring more employees, expanding sale/service/charging networks, etc.), and the other 5% or less of effort goes into building demand (new products, new features, prices reductions, generating publicity, etc.).

While it takes years to build out a factory, Tesla has a clear road map on how to grow production more than 50% every year. Looking out 2 years, that's more than 125% more capacity required or out 4 years is 400% more capacity. So in the time that it takes to begin production in a new gigafactory, Tesla needs to have mapped out roughly a quadrupling of total capacity. Moreover, the supply chain for everything that a gigafactory requires to make products also needs to ramp up and be ready to quadruple supply to Tesla. Tesla has to do massive multi-year planning just to sustain a 50% annual growth rate.

Moreover, if Tesla's competitors are going to keep pace, they have to do massive multi-year planning. Incremental capacity can come in fits and starts. So looking at market share changes from one year to the next is going to be pretty noisy. It might look like Tesla is in a pickle with US share of EVs dropping from 80% to 66%. But wait until Texas is cranking out Cybertrucks and Model Y. We could see Tesla's US market share surge ahead as new capacity comes online.

The important thing is how much growth Tesla and competitors can sustain over the next 5 or more years. I still think that Tesla's share of the EV market is important to monitor, as is their share of the total auto market. But they address two different issues. EV market share really is about measuring how well can OEMs keep pace with Tesla over the longer time horizon. It measures how capable competitors are at entering the EV market. Conversely, Tesla's share of the total auto market is more specifically about how quickly Tesla can take market share from ICE vehicles. Globally, Tesla is on track to take about 0.5% points of market share this year. That is actually a spectacular gain, but as Tesla scales up it will be able to take more than 1 point per year. My outlook is that Tesla can rise to 20% market share by 2030, and it began with less than 1% in 2020. So that is a massive run, and it depends critically on expanding capacity 50% or better per year. This of course is the big payoff for investors.

So with as important as share of the total market is, why even bother with share of EV market? The answer is that Tesla's ability to take 20% share of the total market is predicated on being able to sustain better than 20% share of EV market as EVs become 100% of the total market. Tesla's ticket to becoming twice the automaker as VW or Toyota is riding the tech advantage that BEVs have over ICE vehicles. As BEVs become 80% or more of the auto market, it will be incredibly difficult for Tesla or any other top EV maker to gain significant share of the total auto market. Most of the gains of market share at that point will come mostly from takes share away from the remaining 20% of the market that still requires motor fuels. Indeed, growing EVs by 10% on a bases of 80% EV penetration will be a huge effort, and growing more than 25% would be a mathematical impossibility. Let's focus in on Tesla. Suppose that by the time EVs reach 80% penetration, Tesla has 25% of the EV market. Thus, it has 20% (= 25% * 80%) of the total auto market. Can it still grow by 50%? Well that would imply taking roughly another 10% points of share from the auto market in a single year. So if ICE is just 20% of the market going into that this year, Tesla would likely need to mostly do conquest sales from other EV makers as those makers feverishly try to cannibalizes there remaining ICE sales into EV sales. So the point is, at 80% EV penetration, it is very unlikely that Tesla will be able to sustain 50% annual growth for another year. And even if this were possible, in the next year EV penetration would be closer to 90% while Tesla is at nearly 30% market share, so one more year of 50% growth is even more nearly impossible to sustain.

No matter how I try to game this out, Tesla has to gain most of its long-term share of the auto market before EVs reach 80% penetration, which I think will happen by about 2030. This is why it is critical for Tesla to grow and maintain very high share of the EV market for the next 5 years.

It's also really important for Tesla to be pursuing stationary storage, solar roofs and bots so that 50% revenue growth can persists through the second half of the decade and into the 2030s. After about 2026, it will be very hard for Tesla to keep growing auto unit sales at 50% because market saturation will progressively become a limiting factor. Additionally, FSD will be key to sustaining auto revenue growth past 2026.
Yes, Tesla has had a very aggressive expansion of production and this will be key to keeping market share.
I personally don't see any ICEmaker having anything close to the plans of Tesla. Their plans are pathetic and they will never catch up. They will probably go out of business before they can ramp up EV production. Their ICE plants will become stranded assets and drag them to insolvency.
I think only the Chinese (BYD) have any chance of competing and surviving.
I really think Tesla will have no problem dominating the BEV market... and in five years time, the BEV market will be the entire auto market.

Reactions: jhm
Yes, Tesla has had a very aggressive expansion of production and this will be key to keeping market share.
I personally don't see any ICEmaker having anything close to the plans of Tesla. Their plans are pathetic and they will never catch up. They will probably go out of business before they can ramp up EV production. Their ICE plants will become stranded assets and drag them to insolvency.
I think only the Chinese (BYD) have any chance of competing and surviving.
I really think Tesla will have no problem dominating the BEV market... and in five years time, the BEV market will be the entire auto market.
Adam Jonas' analogy comes to mind. Tesla is the mechanical rabbit a the dog race. The dogs will never catch up with the rabbit, but the fastest dog will win the race. Tesla sets the pace at 50%. Any dog that doesn't races like crazy to maintain that pace as long as Tesla can will ultimately forfeit market share to Tesla, but a few determined dogs might just survive the transition.

Reactions: gavine and mspohr
Adam Jonas' analogy comes to mind. Tesla is the mechanical rabbit a the dog race. The dogs will never catch up with the rabbit, but the fastest dog will win the race. Tesla sets the pace at 50%. Any dog that doesn't races like crazy to maintain that pace as long as Tesla can will ultimately forfeit market share to Tesla, but a few determined dogs might just survive the transition.
The fastest dog will come in second to the Tesla rabbit.

• Funny
Reactions: 30seconds and jhm
One milestone just fell (caveat: includes hybrids).

FTA:

European-regs-by-fuel-type.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: adiggs and EinSV
I'm looking forward to this report being updated once Tesla's Q3 numbers are in. But to level set where Tesla stands globally as of Q2 2021:

The top automotive groups (BEVs) year-to-date:
  1. Tesla - 386,100 and 22.7% share
  2. SAIC + SAIC-GM-Wuling - 246,731 and 14.5% share
  3. Volkswagen Group - 182,801 and 10.7% share
  4. BYD - 94,267 and 5.5% share
  5. Stellantis - 83,549 and 4.9% share

If you want to see plug-in hybrids included, see the article. I think we're past due on turning focus to BEV competition. Indeed, BEVs are outselling PHEVs about 2.3 to 1. BEV penetration of the auto market is now 6.1%.

Plug-in market share improved to 8.7%, including:

• BEVs: about 407,000 (up 154% year-over-year) and 6.1% share
  • PHEVs: about 176,500 (up 151% year-over-year) and 2.6% share
  • Total: 583,507 (up 153% year-over-year) and 8.7% share

Is this what tipping point looks like? Traditional OEMs may be surging ahead growing at 150%, but how long can they sustain >50% annually?

One milestone just fell (caveat: includes hybrids).

FTA:

European-regs-by-fuel-type.jpg
We need to discuss this in the Shorting Oil thread. Europe seems to be crossing into the range of EV penetration where motor fuel demand decline becomes quite material.

For me what is amazing is not just that Tesla is planning and building EV capacity so much faster than any of the ICE majors but the way the company designs the cars to be built for massive scale. The company has shown that it can change parts and optimize production techniques without waiting for major revisions - as seen in the Y & 3. Also the drive to the simplest solution for a number of traditional systems AND the massive fundamental lead they have in thinking of the car as a single software platform.

If anything the best efforts from Ford, VW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, Hyundai, GM and others have shown how far behind they really are. Despite all the bluster.

Reactions: jhm and mspohr
We need to discuss this in the Shorting Oil thread. Europe seems to be crossing into the range of EV penetration where motor fuel demand decline becomes quite material.

Cleantechnica did an article last week graphing the growth of ICE SUVs in Europe.

The growth in emissions and therefore fuel consumption from ICE SUVs may be outpacing the reduction in emissions/fuel consumption from the switch to EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP, jhm and mspohr
Here is a contrarian viewpoint... not sure I would agree given VW's poor track record of slipping production timelines. ;)

"VW Group says it will launch some 70 battery-powered vehicles across the globe by 2030. It has more recently added that it plans to beef up its US EV sales strategy in a big way. This came after Volkswagen became aware of President Biden's plan to help promote EV adoption. According to analysts at LMC Automotive, VW is already on track to overtake Tesla's global market share by 2025. However, such a forecast is quite difficult at this time since Tesla is in the process of building two new factories, one in Texas and one in Germany. Both are supposed to open for production prior to the end of 2021.

Added to this, Biden's plan didn't pass as originally advertised. There's hope that reconciliation can help add important measures that will strengthen EV sales in the US, but there's no guarantee. Tesla has been selling a record number of cars even though its vehicles are no longer eligible for the US EV tax credit. In addition, the brand continues to raise prices due to skyrocketing demand. With 70 electric vehicles coming from VW by 2030, there's a good chance it will eventually catch up with Tesla. However, 2025 is a very lofty goal. Where will Tesla be in 2025? 2030? Will it have even more factories across the globe? Will it finally have many more models on the market? There are so many unanswered questions here that make LMC Automotive's forecast seem risky."

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr