Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV1-A to EV2-A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
I'm with PG&E. I have 11 kW array, 3 PWs, and an EV. I will soon be switched from EV1-A to EV2-A. I have optimized my PW usage to get my annual true-up ~zero. Any tips on how I need to adjust to achieve the same with EV2-A?

Just use time based control (TBC) and make sure you’re running on battery power from 3pm to midnight. While the batteries are recharging in the daytime, TBC should still pull power from the grid to power home loads.

This way you’re always striving to max the battery storage to pound through the mega long peak time… instead of being self-powered and minimizing total grid reliance.

In the winter, if you can grid charge off peak it’ll help you recharge when it’s cloudy.

Here’s a pic of what I’m talking about. All solar is going to my batteries right now to try and charge them as much as possible as fast as possible.

IMG_6213.jpeg

Reactions: BGbreeder
Just use time based control (TBC) and make sure you’re running on battery power from 3pm to midnight. While the batteries are recharging in the daytime, TBC should still pull power from the grid to power home loads.

This way you’re always striving to max the battery storage to pound through the mega long peak time… instead of being self-powered and minimizing total grid reliance.

In the winter, if you can grid charge off peak it’ll help you recharge when it’s cloudy.

Here’s a pic of what I’m talking about. All solar is going to my batteries right now to try and charge them as much as possible as fast as possible.

View attachment 934528
yes, understand all that. What I meant was how much reserve will be optimal under the new plan

I had solar one year without PWs and my true-up was around $250.
First year with PWs, I was aggressive with Reserve setting it to 30% most of the time and I ended up with big negative true-up which obviously I don't get paid (I'm still a net user)
Next year I adjusted reserve to 70% for most of the year and I was zero true-up
Wondering if EV2 will need to adjust Reseerve again

yes, understand all that. What I meant was how much reserve will be optimal under the new plan

I had solar one year without PWs and my true-up was around $250.
First year with PWs, I was aggressive with Reserve setting it to 30% most of the time and I ended up with big negative true-up which obviously I don't get paid (I'm still a net user)
Next year I adjusted reserve to 70% for most of the year and I was zero true-up
Wondering if EV2 will need to adjust Reseerve again

Set your reserve to whatever keeps your home from touching energy from the grid from 3pm to midnight lol.

Like excluding EV charging, I don't expect anyone to modify their behaviors based on the time of day. So it's 6pm? The dryer is running, people are cooking on electric, they're watching TV, and a bunch of lights are on. I don't have as many lights in my hallway as @Redhill_qik, but there are a bunch of lights on lolol. And on a high-usage day with mild AC usage we'll use about 20 kWh in that timeframe... and the PWs drop to 30% SOC.

So 30% is my magic number in the spring.

The Summer is more flakey... when it's really hot I can exhaust all 3 Powerwalls before midnight. But those are also the days the grid may collapse, so I just watch sadly as we use expensive energy from PG&E before midnight. Sad.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I'm with PG&E. I have 11 kW array, 3 PWs, and an EV. I will soon be switched from EV1-A to EV2-A. I have optimized my PW usage to get my annual true-up ~zero. Any tips on how I need to adjust to achieve the same with EV2-A?
I am EV2-A and have about 18 kW of solar and 2 PWs. I have heat pumps, wells and an Model X so my power consumption is pretty big. In the same general area as you too. The net is I run about 60-80% reserve in the winter depending on expected storms and 25% reserve in the summer.

See if any of this helps you.

Thanks - I'll experiment and compare my YoY months when I get on the new plan. I'll lose a few hours of Solar at peak rates, but gain a lot of morning on low rates. In the winter that will help, but probably not in the summer

For the summer time, you may want to shift your EV charging and reserve levels. i.e. play with your reserve setting such that the EV starts charging after the Powerwalls have run down to your reserve, and after midnight. I can often charge during the EV in the morning, using solar more or less directly. The goal is to actual use the equivalent of your meter cost in power at super-off peak rates.

The thread that @aesculus linked to above has lots of good information in it.

All the best,

BG

@getakey I myself have been waiting to be forced out to EV2-A, but it never happened. I have a suspicion that my Powerwall interconnect agreement restarted my 5 year clock (inconsistent with the rules). In 2025, EV-A (EV1-A) will be eliminated.

So every 5 years install a new Powerwall... stay on NEM 2.0 and EV1A for life. Infinite money glitch?

If my PW's are 100% charged, I then can charge the EV from excess that would be going to PGE.
If my PW's are not charged, like today with my heat pumps running and terrible solar, I will start charging my EV at 11:45pm.

Nice and simple for me.

If my PW's are 100% charged, I then can charge the EV from excess that would be going to PGE.
If my PW's are not charged, like today with my heat pumps running and terrible solar, I will start charging my EV at 11:45pm.

Nice and simple for me.
why 11:45pm? don't you have off peak rates all morning? (or actually from midnight on?)

Thanks - I'll experiment and compare my YoY months when I get on the new plan. I'll lose a few hours of Solar at peak rates, but gain a lot of morning on low rates. In the winter that will help, but probably not in the summer
OK. I just noticed I made a mistake in my statement to you. I am still on EVA. It was NEM 2 that I got put onto, not EVA2.

But the strategy is still the same. Just the time periods are different and you won't have quite as good solar return rates as you did with EVA.

One little tidbit that you probably did not notice on EVA vs EVA2, is that EVA is on the old daylight savings times. Hence why I always charge after midnight. For those few shoulder periods I would adjust my hot tub running times too. My hot tub clock is on old DST too so it worked out ok.

@getakey I myself have been waiting to be forced out to EV2-A, but it never happened. I have a suspicion that my Powerwall interconnect agreement restarted my 5 year clock (inconsistent with the rules). In 2025, EV-A (EV1-A) will be eliminated.
Almost hate to say this out loud but I’m in the same boat. Was expecting to get the boot from EV-A this past November but it didn’t happen and I’m sure not gonna ask anyone about it. We added powerwalls in early 2022.

The big issue from a net metering perspective from EVA to EV2A is the elimination of all of those sweet 7am-2pm partial peak hours when you can sell back excess at a decent rate. Powerwalls of course blunt this a bit but this time of year my powerwalls are full by noon and I get a couple hours sending ~10kw back to the grid at $0.35/kWh.

Almost hate to say this out loud but I’m in the same boat. Was expecting to get the boot from EV-A this past November but it didn’t happen and I’m sure not gonna ask anyone about it. We added powerwalls in early 2022.

The big issue from a net metering perspective from EVA to EV2A is the elimination of all of those sweet 7am-2pm partial peak hours when you can sell back excess at a decent rate. Powerwalls of course blunt this a bit but this time of year my powerwalls are full by noon and I get a couple hours sending ~10kw back to the grid at $0.35/kWh.
Agreed
April, May, June are my best months. That said where did all this rain come from in May. We've had a week of rain and forecast for a week more

Reactions: ucmndd
I also am still on EV-A after having installed two Powerwalls in early 2022. I was just about to re-program my Powerwalls thinking I was on EV2A but fortunately I didn't screw that up and I kept the same TOU periods that I manually programmed in for EV-A. I've been searching for the rate tariff for EV-A to see how the rates compare across TOU periods, but I haven't been able to locate the current tariff. Are the rates the same as in EV2A but just the TOU periods are different? Or is there a separate EV-A with different tariffs than EV2A?