Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on your post, I am assuming:

1. EV6 does not always have the GT power (only when you press the button). It sounds more like Mach E 5 second only power type.
2. "Drift Mode" sounds more like gimmick than actual useful feature. All the "Drift Mode" legacy auto makers came up with their ICE cars has been nothing more than a gimmick.
3. Until Kia delivers more than a handful of EV6 to the actual customers, people can only get biased/paid reviews from the companies like C&D, Edmunds, CR, etc.
I really hope to read actual owners stories on EV6 forums, so that we can compare Tesla cars with EV6 or others. For now, we are comparing Tesla cars with biased reviews from those companies, and I don't think it is fair.
Per the article, the GT button activates drift mode. The power is available at all times.

Per the article, the GT button activates drift mode. The power is available at all times.
The article is pretty clear on power as it relates to the GT Button:

"As in other high-performance EVs, output is restricted in lesser drive modes: Eco limits the system peak to 288 horsepower, while Normal and Sport lift that to 460. Only GT mode unleashes the full 577 ponies."

"Pressing the GT button on the steering wheel also unlocks the further option of the drift mode."

Haha, possibly. Just frustrating that Tesla has turned a blind eye to any meaningful improvements.
How have they turned a “blind eye” to meaningful improvements? The MY and M3 giga-castings are changing the industry. 4680 cells are structural (I’d argue a meaningful improvement). FSD, for all its faults, is better than anything their competitors have (possible exception, Mercedes, at least on highways). Tesla’s stated goal, right now, is being able to scale manufacturing, which they are, while still incrementally improving the platform. There’s no other company doing this.

I'm trading in my MYP as soon as these are available. It's sad that Tesla has neglected the Y and allowed the competition to catch up so quickly.
Your second statement is highly untrue. Go look at the delivery and reservation numbers and report back. LOL :cool:

For your future trade:

You will lose:
1. Auto Pilot
2. OTA updates/upgrades
3. Superior battery management software
4. Superchargers
5. Proven platform, battery, motors software, mega casting, etc
6. More passenger/cargo space
7. Efficiency/range
8. Used car value

You will gain:
1. HUD, Adjustable damper mode (comfort, sport etc)
2. 0.2 second faster 0-60 mph (not yet tested by actual average owners)
3. Apple car play
4. Dealer sales and service department
5. Mark up
6. $7500 Tax credit (if you can buy before the new bill passes), not sure if current tax credit applies to $70k Kia
7. Faster/more depreciation in used car value

I'm glad that such an esteemed member here with 3 whole posts was able to chime in, lmao.

Tell me again about how the mega casts and 4680 have improved the Y? I'd love to see the raw numbers...
I'm sure you started out without any posts when you came to this board, too. 🤔 Clearly, your 43 posts since April dictates that your "voice" has more weight than mine. 🤪 As far as the 4680 cells, it's a bit early to tell. Tesla is innovating, regardless of what you believe. The EV6 will be the same in five years as it is now. The Model Y will be a better car in five years than it is now (proof? Model S, Model X and Model 3).

I love my MYP, but it's clear that the EV6 GT is at least on paper, the most compelling competitor that we've seen yet.

Way too many Tesla truthers in here that are afraid to admit that another car is just as good or (gasp) better. Should be interesting to see what Tesla's response is.
Why should Tesla need to have a "response"?

Not every company goes out and chases the latest shiny/competitor, Tesla has and continues to forge their own path, and the lineup of people clamoring to buy is highly unlikely to be dampened by a car that a) isn't even available yet b) has scummy dealers adding big markups and c) is likely gated behind production limits.

Yep, get any CCS car in the USA and go take a perpendicular to the coasts 2000mi trip, we will talk again about resale values.
As much as I'll admit that you're right, I'd also assert this represents a very small fraction of the buying population in terms of something they do with enough frequency that it's a purchasing requirement. The intersection of households going to a pure BEV and/or single vehicle BEV household + doing cross country trips is likely statistically irrelevant.

Whether it's a psychological inhibitor or point frequently hammered by rapid Tesla fanpersons is another matter entirely.

Why should Tesla need to have a "response"?

Not every company goes out and chases the latest shiny/competitor, Tesla has and continues to forge their own path, and the lineup of people clamoring to buy is highly unlikely to be dampened by a car that a) isn't even available yet b) has scummy dealers adding big markups and c) is likely gated behind production limits.
Right!? I seriously considered, and probably would've bought, the EV6 (not GT) before buying the MYP. Why didn't I? I couldn't get one. There were none available. The stealerships were advertising them but all the models were "In Transit". And there was, at least, a $10k markup on them by the stealership (buh-bye $7,500 EV credit).

I love my MYP, but it's clear that the EV6 GT is at least on paper, the most compelling competitor that we've seen yet.

Way too many Tesla truthers in here that are afraid to admit that another car is just as good or (gasp) better. Should be interesting to see what Tesla's response is.
No Tesla truthers here (don't know what that means, but assuming Tesla fanboi?)

No one is saying Tesla is always the best and cannot be beaten, which is common sense. All they are saying is that Model Y is not POS and abandoned by Tesla allowing the competition to catch up and winning, which is not true at all.

Also, it is not fair to compare MYP to something only exist on paper (meaning actual average owners don't exist yet) and saying EV6 GT wins every aspect.