Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Tesla truthers here (don't know what that means, but assuming Tesla fanboi?)

No one is saying Tesla is always the best and cannot be beaten, which is common sense. All they are saying is that Model Y is not POS and abandoned by Tesla allowing the competition to catch up and winning, which is not true at all.

Also, it is not fair to compare MYP to something only exist on paper (meaning actual average owners don't exist yet) and saying EV6 GT wins every aspect.
From a happy performance MYP owner: Absolutely EV6-GT has raised the Performance Bar.. I love it.
Not crazy about the car design but it kicks but. 😲😂🤣

Lot's of weird opinions here. The MY is a small SUV. It's not a race car, track car, drag car, etc. It's a great SUV that does everything extremely well and happens to be faster than almost if not all other small SUVs. I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to be the fastest small SUV ever built, for all time.

You know what's faster? Our ZL1 Camaro ... our C8 ... our 66 SC502BB... Our v10R8 with twins. Know what else is faster? M3P, MS__...

But guess which one is the best small SUV out of the whole bunch? No contest lol.

I'm fast learning that Tesla owners are a pretty odd bunch overall.

Lot's of weird opinions here. The MY is a small SUV. It's not a race car, track car, drag car, etc. It's a great SUV that does everything extremely well and happens to be faster than almost if not all other small SUVs. I'm not sure why anyone would expect it to be the fastest small SUV ever built, for all time.

You know what's faster? Our ZL1 Camaro ... our C8 ... our 66 SC502BB... Our v10R8 with twins. Know what else is faster? M3P, MS__...

But guess which one is the best small SUV out of the whole bunch? No contest lol.

Pretty strange take here.... We are talking about the MYP specifically, not just the MY. The MYP has been touted to compete with the likes of the X3M, Stelvio Quad among other performance CUVs (in which the EV6 GT slots right in).

I don't think it is out of line to expect performance from a car that literally has performance in its name. To each their own though.

Pretty strange take here.... We are talking about the MYP specifically, not just the MY. The MYP has been touted to compete with the likes of the X3M, Stelvio Quad among other performance CUVs (in which the EV6 GT slots right in).

I don't think it is out of line to expect performance from a car that literally has performance in its name. To each their own though.
Yeah, I can take an X3M to the track right out of the box, disable a lot of the driving aids, and have a way better driving experience. (Not to mention the BMW's seats would actually hold you in, too) The MYP is hindered by its own software on the track.

Reactions: BMWY
The kia
Have you seen one in person? I have. I was in my MYP and right next to the EV6 at the traffic light. It is more like a sedan than CUV/suv, and it is much smaller. It should be compared to the M3P.
tesla-model-y-v-kia-ev6-193.jpg

Kia-EV6-vs-Tesla-Model-Y.jpg

This got me thinking... I am pretty sure the only thing that makes a car an SUV nowadays is that the manufacturer just tells us it is. I don't think the Y or the Kia are SUVs. They are hatch back sedans. That kia has more ground clearance than the Y. The Y is just a higher roof line.

The Y only has 1in higher ground clearance than the 3 and it probably comes from the tires. The seats are on risers giving the feeling of SUV height while driving and they raised the roof line to accommodate that.

Last edited:
Reactions: house9 and BMWY
The kia

This got me thinking... I am pretty sure the only thing that makes a car an SUV nowadays is that the manufacturer just tells us it is. I don't think the Y or the Kia are SUVs. They are hatch back sedans. That kia has more ground clearance than the Y. The Y is just a higher roof line.

The Y only has 1in higher ground clearance than the 3 and it probably comes from the tires. The seats are on risers giving the feeling of SUV height while driving and they raised the roof line to accommodate that.
How about storage capacity?

Or one can buy a Plaid and beat all above; Ride in luxury and burn no gas or Nitromethane 😲😂🤣

Reactions: Jagular
how old??? 2020 was first year right. Its still new. Regardless, the Kia is nice, competition is good.

Hopefully Tesla can bump up performance a bit and add Track mode for current models. The new 4680 variant on horizon.
Yes, you read that correctly the body shape of model y was introduced in 2020, but the platform (battery pack and motors) was developed 5-6 years ago.

How about storage capacity?

I don't think storage capacity makes a vehicle an SUV. Cars with shapes and storage similar to these use to be called hatch backs or wagons or station wagons. For whatever reason those names aren't cool anymore. A mini van has more storage capacity than a Y. It's not an SUV.

A Jeep Wrangler has less storage capacity than a model 3 and nobody can question that a Jeep Wrangler is an SUV.

BDKW_5413735-IMG_001_P04_BAC_A__93140.1649960513.1280.1280 (1).jpg

Yes, you read that correctly the body shape of model y was introduced in 2020, but the platform (battery pack and motors) was developed 5-6 years ago.
The tech may have been introduced a while ago but it has been refined and
I don't think storage capacity makes a vehicle an SUV. Cars with shapes and storage similar to these use to be called hatch backs or wagons or station wagons. For whatever reason those names aren't cool anymore. A mini van has more storage capacity than a Y. It's not an SUV.

A Jeep Wrangler has less storage capacity than a model 3 and nobody can question that a Jeep Wrangler is an SUV.

View attachment 836272
So if the Y is bigger than the 3 but smaller than an SUV, what exactly is it? A crossover?

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
Remember when Tesla used to put out meaningful updates? Would be nice if they unlocked some performance or god forbid track mode.

Bad look for Tesla as this thing is obliterating the MYP.

But but but... don't you care about an advanced SAE Level 2 system that Tesla is labeling FSD Beta? I am sure that pouring all of their efforts into a system that will never achieve Level 3 let alone level 5 is a winning strategy!

Obviously if you disagree you are a short seller troll :)

Keith

Reactions: BMWY and Daekwan
I wouldn't much much weight into that personally. The 2022 Model S Plaid uses 18650 battery technology, which is "older" tech than the 3/Y (and same as previous gen S/X).

The Plaid battery system as a whole is definitely more advanced than what the Model 3/Y use now (exc 4680). It has better cooling and faster charge rates so they've made significant upgrades. 18650 is a form factor...can't judge the tech behind it just because that form factor was used first.

Why should Tesla need to have a "response"?

Not every company goes out and chases the latest shiny/competitor, Tesla has and continues to forge their own path, and the lineup of people clamoring to buy is highly unlikely to be dampened by a car that a) isn't even available yet b) has scummy dealers adding big markups and c) is likely gated behind production limits.
Because they have set the precedent. Tesla has extended battery range, decreased 0 to 60, offered acceleration boost to M3LR, added track mode to M3P, offered brake/wheel packages, etc..Quite a bit of tweaking to Model 3, nothing really for Model Y outside a small range adjustment. Model Y doesn't even have a Diecast model! :)

Unfortunately too many folks complain about range, tires, noise and suspension with the MYP. Wouldnt be surprise to see a high Chill mode use statistic.
I think, offering shorter delivery times for MYP versus the LR and in combination with a lower price delta has hurt the performance related aspects of the car. Its too close to a LR now - for many its a shorter delivery time with some tradeoffs decision.

Reactions: BMWY
Because they have set the precedent. Tesla has extended battery range, decreased 0 to 60, offered acceleration boost to M3LR, added track mode to M3P, offered brake/wheel packages, etc..Quite a bit of tweaking to Model 3, nothing really for Model Y outside a small range adjustment. Model Y doesn't even have a Diecast model! :)

Unfortunately too many folks complain about range, tires, noise and suspension with the MYP. Wouldnt be surprise to see a high Chill mode use statistic.
I think, offering shorter delivery times for MYP versus the LR and in combination with a lower price delta has hurt the performance related aspects of the car. Its too close to a LR now - for many its a shorter delivery time with some tradeoffs decision.
What ultimately matters is whether or not people continue buy their cars. Doesn't seem to be any sort of demand problem for Tesla. They've got a Cybertruck and Roadster to produce, along with meeting the demand for backlogged orders of S/3/X/Y. I'd say their execution in the midst of the Out of Everything supply chain mess of the last two years has been damn good, and they should keep focus and not let competitors distract from their roadmap and objectives.

Looking forward to seeing the EV6 GT and seeing how it fares. As most people here have echoed, competition is a good thing.

Reactions: K1Woods
How fast do you really need to go?

Since they are selling every car they make it does not matter much but what Tesla really needs to do is start offering more upscale features that they have in their S/X models to the 3/Y models and perhaps come up another label. I dont care about any of the performance upgrades and I don't want to spend another 40K for the S/X cars. The S is too low for me and the X is too big for me. The Y is great so lets create an executive level model and add:

• Ventilated seats
  • More color options
  • Carplay/Android Auto
  • Adjustable suspension
  • Kick to open trunk/frunk
  • Nicer interior features and lighting

Reactions: Corndart
What ultimately matters is whether or not people continue buy their cars. Doesn't seem to be any sort of demand problem for Tesla. They've got a Cybertruck and Roadster to produce, along with meeting the demand for backlogged orders of S/3/X/Y. I'd say their execution in the midst of the Out of Everything supply chain mess of the last two years has been damn good, and they should keep focus and not let competitors distract from their roadmap and objectives.

Looking forward to seeing the EV6 GT and seeing how it fares. As most people here have echoed, competition is a good thing.
The first rule of business is to never ignore the competition.

Reactions: voxel and BMWY
The kia

Shhh....you're going to get the Model Y kicked off the $80K cap for SUVs on the $7,500 rebate deal.