Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 GT gets track mode out of the box and yet the Y still doesn't....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the C&D article:

"As in lesser EV6s, the steering is precise and direct, although little low-level feedback gets past the weighty assistance."

Does "weighty assistance" truly mean a high level of assist i.e. light steering? Or do they mean weighty steering i.e. low level of power assist?

I'm seriously contemplating trading in my MYP for one of these. It is probably the first "performance" EV that soundly and objectively beats the MYP in every performance metric.

It's a shame that Tesla has pretty much abandoned any and all innovation when it comes to performance in the MY. Track mode should be a ridiculously easy add for them.
88D08E64-C0D2-4BF9-A50C-722FD75DC316.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood
Spot on, Spot on..😂🤣👍🏻

Read the page linked above, looks good for the most part, but that range is WLPT, not EPA... also, I don't consider "drift mode" to be a track mode... it is for hooning about, not for getting better track times. I want the adjustablility of Tesla track mode, not drift mode... we can get drift mode from ingenext if we want it. Now, the rear diff sounds great, not sure but it sounds like it has actual torque vectoring... but they were not very detailed.

Keith

I was dreaming that maybe something like the EV6 GT would prompt Tesla to give the MYP and acceleration boost option. But I'm guessing our cars are maxed out.

I didn't read the EV6-GT article yet, so I don't know what kind of Track Mode Kia is offering, but if it's similar to the M3P Track Mode, hopefully it's the kick in the ass Elon needs to finally give the MYP the Track Mode it deserves.

Agreed that Tesla's Track Mode is much more than just a Drift mode. The article says the EV6 GT gets a Dynamic mode but it's not clear what exactly it changes or allows for configuring, besides the further option of Drift mode. Probably Dynamic at least relaxes nannies even without engaging Drift mode.

This press release gives some more hints and details mixed in with the mess of marketing speak:

Sounds like there will be a decent amount of configurability, and there might be more precise power distribution control than simply regular vs drift. In other words, something close to Track Mode's "Handling Bias" slider. It's not 100% clear though.

Just being able to relax the nannies significantly is big though compared to a Model Y without Track Mode. Also those seats look grippier and better bolstered than the 3/Y seats. And the active dampers must surely be better than the craptastic stock damping in the Model Y. (At least there's good aftermarket damper/coilover upgrade options for the Y and 3.)

On the flip side everything I've read says the EV6 is worse as an actual crossover than the Y. In other words, worse packaging with an inferior back seat and smaller cargo hold, and seriously outdated infotainment. The EV6 back/cargo should still be more comfortable and practical than a Model 3 though. Maybe a good compromise between the Y and 3? I love how my M3P drives now on Redwood Öhlins DFV coilovers, it's fantastic...but that damn trunk. It's a great second car for us but couldn't be our primary car like a Model Y could potentially be.

OK, so I read the C&D article. A few questions and observations came to mind:

-Can the GT Button be "locked" so the car is always in GT mode? I'd hate to have to push it every time I drive to access the full power.
-Drift mode doesn't appear to be directly comparable to the M3P Track Mode. Seems like just some sort of traction control defeat. Need more details.
-The 263 Mile range is WLPT. Isn't that like something in the 220s for EPA range? I know Tesla's range is inflated, but the MYP should still have noticeably better range if this is the case.
-C&D article clearly states that they haven't done any instrumented tests on this car, yet they have a detailed specifications sheet with performance test numbers at the end of the article. What's up with that?

Anyway, I don't doubt that the EV6-GT is a great performer and probably outperforms the MYP in many regards. But after reading that article I do not feel any urge to ditch my MYP for it. Hopefully the EV6-GT would be the tool we need to finally unlock the damn Track Mode in the MYP though.

Reactions: Fourdoor and tm1v2
Not sure what performance metric you are referring to that beats the MYP?

Getting track mode is hardly innovation while EV6/I5 have pretty basic "innovation" in their cars.

Only thing that EV6/I5 beats Tesla is the price with tax credit which is about to change (or not). Mediocre at best features, such as HUD, HDA2 and almost 300 lbs heavier, and it does not exist yet or delivered to the customers yet. (not proven anything), and it will depreciate faster and more than others like Tesla and Japanese cars.

In case you didn't know Tesla is improving their cars constantly with parts revisions/updates which has been improving overall quality.
Tesla has had a long time to improve quality. Unfortunately in my opinion they seem more preoccupied with getting them out the door rather than making it right the first time. I have seen many Model Y with dreadful fit and finish and some that are pretty good. This should not be happening. The JD Power survey put them at the bottom for quality in 2020. They have lots of room for improvement.

Reactions: blinkme323
The EV6-GT is the same form factor as the MYP, it is not a sedan like the M3P... so why would we compare it to a sedan?

Keith
Have you seen one in person? I have. I was in my MYP and right next to the EV6 at the traffic light. It is more like a sedan than CUV/suv, and it is much smaller. It should be compared to the M3P.
tesla-model-y-v-kia-ev6-193.jpg

Kia-EV6-vs-Tesla-Model-Y.jpg

Last edited: