Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe that. My understanding is that the efficiency gain is the result of the front motor not being in motion. Similar to how ICE trucks with conventional 4WD systems would use a front axle disconnect system to gain highway fuel economy. Efficiency is gained because the front driveline is stationary whenever the system isn’t engaged, which imparts less frictional loss.

Unpowered electric motors don’t have the same parasitic loss as a heavy ICE powertrain, but it’s still there. The motors in my EV6 would spin about 10,000 RPMs at 75 MPH. It takes energy to move a rotor that fast.

I believe the older Model 3/Y had an induction motor in the front so it would spin freely when it wasn't needed. Now, it seems Model 3/Y come with 2 permanent magnet motors. I thought permanent magnet motors can't spin freely...anyone know whats going on in the newer models?

I believe the older Model 3/Y had an induction motor in the front so it would spin freely when it wasn't needed. Now, it seems Model 3/Y come with 2 permanent magnet motors. I thought permanent magnet motors can't spin freely...anyone know whats going on in the newer models?

It's also my understanding that induction motors can't freewheel without parasitic drag. The manual indicates that they have an induction front motor, but the manual isn't always accurate for things like these. Where did you hear the front motor is now permanent magnet?

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 7.37.38 AM.png

It's also my understanding that induction motors can't freewheel without parasitic drag. The manual indicates that they have an induction front motor, but the manual isn't always accurate for things like these. Where did you hear the front motor is now permanent magnet?

View attachment 896996
After a bit of digging, it was the new Model S that has dual permanent magnet motors. It’s interesting how different Tesla’s solution is vs Kia’s.

Also, from everything I’ve seen, induction can freely rotate but hoping someone can confirm or correct.

After a bit of digging, it was the new Model S that has dual permanent magnet motors. It’s interesting how different Tesla’s solution is vs Kia’s.

Also, from everything I’ve seen, induction can freely rotate but hoping someone can confirm or correct.
It freely rotates, but it still has mass that needs to increase or decrease its rotational speed when the car speeds up or slows down, and it has bearings and whatnot that have physical friction... freely rotating (Tesla Y) is good, not rotating at all (EV6) is better.

Keith

Reactions: TomB985
It freely rotates, but it still has mass that needs to increase or decrease its rotational speed when the car speeds up or slows down, and it has bearings and whatnot that have physical friction... freely rotating (Tesla Y) is good, not rotating at all (EV6) is better.

Keith
I wonder how EV6 disconnects the axles from the motor since it is not spinning. Some kind of mechanical disconnect controlled by software? I guess it will impact the drivetrain efficiency which makes sense based on EV6's lower efficiency.

I wonder how EV6 disconnects the axles from the motor since it is not spinning. Some kind of mechanical disconnect controlled by software? I guess it will impact the drivetrain efficiency which makes sense based on EV6's lower efficiency.

I think the clutch design actually improves the EV6's efficiency pretty well but it makes it a bit laggy on take-off. Also, when its deciding to engage/disengage the clutch packs, there is a slight throttle lag when driving. Tesla's implementation and throttle response is way better. The only way to get rid of the lag is to keep it in sport-mode which sucks up more power. Also, disengaging the front also makes full one-pedal driving less efficient than the blended braking option on the EV6. On full one-pedal mode, it keeps the front motor fully engage for regen purposes but makes it less efficient than having the front disengaged with blended braking.

Good write up from the OP. I had a 2019 Model 3 SR + but sold it last year (for a good profit) and bought my wife a KIA EV6 Wind AWD. The KIA drove much better than the Model 3 in several ways and the KIA has been a much better experience. Unlike my M3, the KIA fit and finish is excellent and have no current problems at all with it. My M3 on the other hand did have problems. My wife absolutely loves the EV6. I believe KIA put their best effort into the EV6 and is probably losing a bit of money on each vehicle.

With the recent Model Y price reduction and Tax credit eligibility, I put in an order for a Model Y LR with hitch. I am obviously hoping a delivery date before March 23rd for the Tax credit else I may just cancel the order and take the $250 hit. In other words, Tesla price point NOW with tax credit is a good buy IMHO. However, I would not purchase the EV if the price is any higher. It is just my experience with owning former Tesla and currently having the EV6. I am also doing research to see if Tesla has improved the quality, and weighing people's objective opinions. The sensor/camera issue does have my attention and it is one of those "Tesla" oddities that I may not compromise with. I will see at DD.

The Supercharging network is outstanding compared to the non Tesla stations. Talk about range anxiety. There is nothing more dreadful than trying to find a good station after experiencing faulty charging stations beforehand. It is scary and very time consuming. I believe it will be several years before charging stations are on par with Tesla. Don't expect the government influence on this. Right now, our political system so dysfunctional, they think islands may tip over if there ae too many people on them.

Good write up from the OP. I had a 2019 Model 3 SR + but sold it last year (for a good profit) and bought my wife a KIA EV6 Wind AWD. The KIA drove much better than the Model 3 in several ways and the KIA has been a much better experience. Unlike my M3, the KIA fit and finish is excellent and have no current problems at all with it. My M3 on the other hand did have problems. My wife absolutely loves the EV6. I believe KIA put their best effort into the EV6 and is probably losing a bit of money on each vehicle.

With the recent Model Y price reduction and Tax credit eligibility, I put in an order for a Model Y LR with hitch. I am obviously hoping a delivery date before March 23rd for the Tax credit else I may just cancel the order and take the $250 hit. In other words, Tesla price point NOW with tax credit is a good buy IMHO. However, I would not purchase the EV if the price is any higher. It is just my experience with owning former Tesla and currently having the EV6. I am also doing research to see if Tesla has improved the quality, and weighing people's objective opinions. The sensor/camera issue does have my attention and it is one of those "Tesla" oddities that I may not compromise with. I will see at DD.

The Supercharging network is outstanding compared to the non Tesla stations. Talk about range anxiety. There is nothing more dreadful than trying to find a good station after experiencing faulty charging stations beforehand. It is scary and very time consuming. I believe it will be several years before charging stations are on par with Tesla. Don't expect the government influence on this. Right now, our political system so dysfunctional, they think islands may tip over if there ae too many people on them.

I keep hearing about the Hyundai Ioniq 5 having 12V issues, does the EV6 suffer from that little gremlin? What about updates?

(Apologies if this has been discussed... I saw your response and replied as you are a current owner)

I think the clutch design actually improves the EV6's efficiency pretty well but it makes it a bit laggy on take-off.
I never noticed that. I've never seen the front motor disengage at speeds below ~15 MPH, and mine was always active on takeoff. There's definitely a lag when you stab the pedal at higher speeds, though. I figured it was probably about a half-second at higher speeds for the front motor to spin up and provide power. The one-pedal mode keeps the front engaged and eliminates the lag as well, but I stopped using it after seeing the efficiency penalty.

Unlike my M3, the KIA fit and finish is excellent and have no current problems at all with it. My M3 on the other hand did have problems. My wife absolutely loves the EV6. I believe KIA put their best effort into the EV6 and is probably losing a bit of money on each vehicle.

This was my experience as well. My EV6 was solid as a rock. Every other car I've owned could benefit from the fit-and-finish that the EV6 had.
I am also doing research to see if Tesla has improved the quality, and weighing people's objective opinions.

I think they have. My '22 Model Y is a much better car than my '19 Model 3. It rides better, has much less road noise, better seats, and a better front console layout with wireless chargers. The premium interior also adds a lot that the SR+ didn't have. I'm in love with the heated seats and the premium sound system. My Model 3 had one of the the worst sound systems of anything I've owned, and I thought the Meridian system in the EV6 was badly disappointing. In contrast, the Model Y is clearly the best. It's not even close.

The EV6 does a number of things better, most of which I mentioned in my original post. But to my mind, the Y is a much better complete package.

I keep hearing about the Hyundai Ioniq 5 having 12V issues, does the EV6 suffer from that little gremlin? What about updates?

(Apologies if this has been discussed... I saw your response and replied as you are a current owner)

Yup! I killed mine in early December while sitting in the garage. That might have to do with my OBD plug that was connected and left enabled, but for some reason the low-voltage converter never activated to charge the battery. The EV6 doesn't have software updates like Tesla and Ford. They release an infotainment update every 6 months, but it's only skin deep. I had to drive to the dealer for a 45-minute service appointment to apply a software fix to the HVAC module.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue

Not yet on the battery. But it doesn't mean it won't be an issue. They do not have over the air updates like Tesla and you need to bring in the shop.

A nice thing about Tesla is that you don't deal with dealerships. KIA dealerships are one of the worst. I had to go to several before finding one. Many wanted several thousand over MSRP. I found one with $2000 over and gave me an crazy, outstanding deal on trade. Used, clean cars were in such demand last year. And, I even sold a Tesla for $7000 more than what I paid. And that is why I am going for the Model Y. With the drop in price and tax credit, I don't think you are going to see a deal like this for a long time.

I read about the opinions about EVs and how they are going to get cheaper. I disagree. Chevrolet loses money on the Bolt. I would not be surprised if Ford does too on the Mach E. Whatever you hear about these car companies, they really do not like the idea of EVs taking a chunk out of the market for multiple reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
I never noticed that. I've never seen the front motor disengage at speeds below ~15 MPH, and mine was always active on takeoff. There's definitely a lag when you stab the pedal at higher speeds, though. I figured it was probably about a half-second at higher speeds for the front motor to spin up and provide power. The one-pedal mode keeps the front engaged and eliminates the lag as well, but I stopped using it after seeing the efficiency penalty.

This was my experience as well. My EV6 was solid as a rock. Every other car I've owned could benefit from the fit-and-finish that the EV6 had.

I think they have. My '22 Model Y is a much better car than my '19 Model 3. It rides better, has much less road noise, better seats, and a better front console layout with wireless chargers. The premium interior also adds a lot that the SR+ didn't have. I'm in love with the heated seats and the premium sound system. My Model 3 had one of the the worst sound systems of anything I've owned, and I thought the Meridian system in the EV6 was badly disappointing. In contrast, the Model Y is clearly the best. It's not even close.

The EV6 does a number of things better, most of which I mentioned in my original post. But to my mind, the Y is a much better complete package.

Yup! I killed mine in early December while sitting in the garage. That might have to do with my OBD plug that was connected and left enabled, but for some reason the low-voltage converter never activated to charge the battery. The EV6 doesn't have software updates like Tesla and Ford. They release an infotainment update every 6 months, but it's only skin deep. I had to drive to the dealer for a 45-minute service appointment to apply a software fix to the HVAC module.
I noticed that you mention your Model E rated range was not good and not close to 240. I had the same experience. If I recall, I believe the 2019 Model E batteries had the LG NCA not the Panasonic which is in the current Y. Are you find the Y battery pack a little more reasonable?

I noticed that you mention your Model E rated range was not good and not close to 240. I had the same experience. If I recall, I believe the 2019 Model E batteries had the LG NCA not the Panasonic which is in the current Y. Are you find the Y battery pack a little more reasonable?

It's funny that you mentioned this, but I was going to pull some data and update this thread later on about that.

My Y seems to be much more efficient than my RWD 3 was. Right now it's just anecdotal, and much of that may be the heat pump because all of my use so far is in the cold weather. I don't think it has anything to do with battery chemistry because the power electronics know exactly how much power is going in and out. If my current impression is accurate, I have no clue what the explanation is. But I'm very pleased so far.

I drove 90 miles yesterday with ambient temps around ~35º, and got 305 Wh/mi for the driving portion. That's 3.27 mi/kWh, which is better than my EV6 would do in similar conditions. I'll check back and compare against my old Model 3 in a bit.

Nope...I'm not going crazy.

This is a summary of all drives between 31-36º that were over 15 miles. My 2019 Model 3 SR+ is on the left, and my new Model Y is on the right. The difference is striking. I picked these temps because those were the conditions I drove in yesterday.

1674085095422.png
1674085187899.png

It's funny that you mentioned this, but I was going to pull some data and update this thread later on about that.

My Y seems to be much more efficient than my RWD 3 was. Right now it's just anecdotal, and much of that may be the heat pump because all of my use so far is in the cold weather. I don't think it has anything to do with battery chemistry because the power electronics know exactly how much power is going in and out. If my current impression is accurate, I have no clue what the explanation is. But I'm very pleased so far.

I drove 90 miles yesterday with ambient temps around ~35º, and got 305 Wh/mi for the driving portion. That's 3.27 mi/kWh, which is better than my EV6 would do in similar conditions. I'll check back and compare against my old Model 3 in a bit.
I would love to hear it.

I live in the NW so the temps are milder. That said, I wish the batteries were not the NCA but the LFP. The LFP does not do well in very cold conditions and they cannot hold a larger charge like the NCA. However, you can charge them to 100% and their degradation is minimal.

This is a summary of all drives between 31-36º that were over 15 miles. My 2019 Model 3 SR+ is on the left, and my new Model Y is on the right. The difference is striking. I picked these temps because those were the conditions I drove in yesterday.

View attachment 897271View attachment 897272
Something way way off on the M3 wh/m. I have an 18 M3 60K miles, 252 wh/m. Even my MX is more than 100 less than the 440 you show.

View attachment 897271View attachment 897272
What temperature do you set the hvac to? Do you preheat the vehicle?

But, yeah the heat pump, and octovalve, make a big difference.

What temperature do you set the hvac to? Do you preheat the vehicle?

But, yeah the heat pump, and octovalve, make a big difference.

Usually around 75º or so. I have some neurological issues that make it tough to maintain my body temp, so I tend to keep things tropical.

I don’t need to do that as much in the Y because of how much better the seat heaters are, though. I’ve never had a car with seat heaters that work this well. I keep the seat on high and the wheel heater on, and I usually have to dial it back to 70º after a half hour. My 3 never did that, but the heater wasn’t as effective in single-digit temps, either.