Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 vs MY boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea Elon is doing a great job of lowing our values on the caršŸ˜€ I have been thinking about this swap just for the ability to turn off the Nannieā€™s. I want traction control off and all stability off. just when the ass end comes around it shuts the car down and kills the fun. Should have bought the M3P.

yes my 2021 lr with boost and only 5k miles is only worth 46k per carvana. And itā€™s wrapped and has wheels and full matte ppf film And sway bars/suspension work. If I could get 55k or over it would be gone already. To many Nannieā€™s this is not a drivers car.

I have never supercharged my car and I think that will be the only downfall the tesla chargers are everywhere. The ev6gt looks like it might be okay if they can keep the batteries from caring fire. I also looked at the gv60. To much luxury for me. Good luck with your decision.

just did try car and only 49k offer

LOL, are you hearing yourself? "I haven't used a Supercharger in the entire 2.5 years I have owned my car... I am afraid I will miss them if I go to a different brand"... :D

Keith

Yes I hear myselfšŸ¤Ŗ But all of my charging has been at home. So if I was to get a different car when I take the car further ill have to deal with EA along with other broken down chargers. and not the tesla supercharger Network.

The EV6 GT is apparently $62-63k according to Kiaā€™s website. Thatā€™s a really good price if one can get it at MSRP.

The EPA range of 206 miles is surprisingly low though. Unless the real world range is closer to say 240 miles, I probably wouldnā€™t consider it if I was in the market. I took the MYP to the track a few times and barely got in five 20 minute sessions with 93% battery upon arrival at the track. The EV6 GT might not last past session 3 based on that range estimate.

Yes I hear myselfšŸ¤Ŗ But all of my charging has been at home. So if I was to get a different car when I take the car further ill have to deal with EA along with other broken down chargers. and not the tesla supercharger Network.

My point was that if you haven't used a Supercharger in the entire ownership experience of your Model Y, why do you think you would all of a sudden start taking long road trips if you get a non-Tesla EV? You will probably charge it at home all of the time just like you did the Tesla, and never have to worry about the public charging networks.

Personally, I have traveled all over the country in my wife's Chevy Bolt before we got the MYP... it does take planning (I used PlugShare and A Better Route Planner) but I only had a few problems in several years of road tripping.

Later,

Keith

Reactions: Mattemsmy
The real world range on the EV6 and Ioniq 5 has been pretty poor according to various reviewers. The Ioniq 5 does 195mi at 70MPH on 20" wheels and 227mi on 19" wheels. The 2020 Y does 276mi at 70mph on 19" wheels. (and that's on the older 75kWh pack) What I find amusing here , despite the Mach E having the much larger battery and much smaller wheels (18") the diffeernce between the 2020 AWD Model Y LR on 19" and Ford's Mach E California Route 1 RWD is only 11 miles.

edit:
Bjorn's test on the EV6
20220814-185553.png.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: boulder.dude
The real world range on the EV6 and Ioniq 5 has been pretty poor from according to various reviewers.
"Real World" ā‰  70 MPH continuous driving

This is a great chart, and it is valuable for people who do more highway driving. But that in no way reflects any kind of real world experience. It is just one data point that is more a proxy for aerodynamics. At 70 MPH, aerodynamics is the dominant power consumer. So, this chart probably distills down to battery size and Cd with a small modifier for tire contact rolling resistance.

Many of these cars do very well in another "real world" tests - that is suburban & traffic driving.

The most interesting thing to me from this chart are the cars that vary greatly between their 70MPH range and their published EPA Highway range. I would expect those to be relatively similar for most cars. But the Taycan seems like a major sandbagger.

I have the Ioniq 5 and the real range is really close to the manufacture suggested unlike Tesla. I don't know if the Ioniq 5 took those estimates based on higher driving speeds but I get close if not exactly what it advertises at 250ish miles.

The test is always done at a constant 70mph , despite what the EPA estimates are. The ioniq 5 falls short in regards to range compared to the Model Y
This is a little like arguing that water is wet.

The Model Y has a 81 kWh battery and 0.23 drag coefficient. That is a 5% larger battery and 21% slipperier design than the Ioniq 5 at 77.4 kWh and 0.29. So, no huge surprise that the MY 22% more range than the I5 SEL. Honestly, I would have expected a greater difference. (The Limited test with its 20" wheels may be an outlier. Very strange that the wheels make such a dramatic difference when everything else about the car is the same.)

Similarly, the MY has a 5% larger battery and 18% better aerodynamics than the EV6. So, that one really crushes it at only 13% difference from the MY. (Thought, that test also seems like an outlier, which makes me question the general validity of these data.)

This is a little like arguing that water is wet.

The Model Y has a 81 kWh battery and 0.23 drag coefficient. That is a 5% larger battery and 21% slipperier design than the Ioniq 5 at 77.4 kWh and 0.29. So, no huge surprise that the MY 22% more range than the I5 SEL. Honestly, I would have expected a greater difference. (The Limited test with its 20" wheels may be an outlier. Very strange that the wheels make such a dramatic difference when everything else about the car is the same.)

Similarly, the MY has a 5% larger battery and 18% better aerodynamics than the EV6. So, that one really crushes it at only 13% difference from the MY. (Thought, that test also seems like an outlier, which makes me question the general validity of these data.)
Look again that test was conducted on the 2020 Model Y .Take a wild guess what the size of the pack was at the time. Keep in mind thatā€™s with dual motor.

Look again that test was conducted on the 2020 Model Y .Take a wild guess what the size of the pack was at the time. Keep in mind thatā€™s with dual motor.
Good point. Water is still wet. The MY battery in that test is probably 75 kWh, so 3% smaller than the I5 SEL. That probably explains why the range percent difference is pretty close to the percent difference of the drag coefficients.

And I forgot another major dynamic - tire pressure. Tesla has ridiculously high recommended tire pressures for their cars. Hyundai does not. The difference is ride quality versus range. So, if they tested at manufacturer recommended pressure (which they should have), the MY had an inherent advantage that had nothing to do with the relative capabilities of the cars.

And still against Dual Motor vs RWD and a trim that is nearly 2 years old. Itā€™s going to be really interesting if Hyundai releases a performance trim. In regards to the PSI, the recommended tire pressure is in line with sport crossovers for this segment.

And still against Dual Motor vs RWD and a trim that is nearly 2 years old. Itā€™s going to be really interesting if Hyundai releases a performance trim. In regards to the PSI, the recommended tire pressure is in line with sport crossovers for this segment.
I thought their test was a 2020 Model Y AWD, not RWD? Same with the I5s - both were AWD. The EV6 GT (and anticipated Ioniq 5 N) range is the real head scratcher. That one is horrific. No explanation for that. The bigger motors they put in the cars must be really inefficient. The MYP versus the EV6 GT (and I5N) highway range disparity will be huge.

It does not matter if PSI is in line with anything else; that was not the point. (It certainly is not in line with Hyundai's recommendation.) What matters is that the MY PSI is significantly higher than the I5 PSI. If the I5 was tested at the Tesla's PSI, the range difference would close slightly. That difference is not do to any superiority in the car, just the manufacturer's different philosophy around pressure recommendation.

Last edited:
I thought their test was a 2020 Model Y AWD, not RWD. Same with the I5s - both were AWD. The EV6 GT (and anticipated Ioniq 5 N) range is the real head scratcher. That one is horrific. No explanation for that.

And it does not matter if PSI is in line with anything else. (It certainly is not in line with Hyundai's recommendation.) What matters is that the MY PSI is significantly higher than the I5 PSI. If the I5 was tested at the Tesla's PSI, the range difference would close slightly. That difference is not do to any superiority in the car, just the manufacturer's different philosophy around pressure recommendation.
Perhaps you should inflate your PSI to 45. Iā€™m genuinely curious if the2022/23 Ioniq 5 could reach Teslaā€™s 2020 Model Y range.

Perhaps you should inflate your PSI to 45. Iā€™m genuinely curious if the2022/23 Ioniq 5 could reach Teslaā€™s 2020 Model Y range.
Heck no to the 45. The 40 PSI is harsh enough.

No, the Ioniq 5 cannot match the MY range, at least not without adding a much larger battery. The core reason is aerodynamics. The I5 has a high drag coefficient; the MY has a low drag coefficient. That alone is probably the major factor driving the range difference between the two. It's not magic.

Hyundai's philosophy prioritized styling and comfort over range. They designed the car boxier, which lowered aerodynamics, which cost it range. And, Hyundai recommends a lower tire pressure, which improves ride comfort but also reduces range.

If you really want to blow your mind, look at the Cadillac Lyriq. That car is an efficiency turd. The 2WD Lyriq is rated for 312 miles of range on a 102 kWh battery. The AWD Lyric will probably get slaughtered in a 70 MPH continuous test. I bet it struggles to crack 225 miles. The 2WD Lyriq is 326 Wh/mile while the AWD Model Y is 245 Wh/mile. That is a 33% efficiency difference despite the MY's hungrier dual-motor drivetrain.

Last edited:
I own a GT. Fantastic car! C&D shows 190mi highway range at 75mph, compared to 220 for the MYP. Considering how much more power the GT has, amd its performance advantage, Im comfortable with the disparity. My real world experience is that it manages to hit and best its EPA rating without trying, even in GT mode. Most EVs have more impressive ratings, but good luck achieving them.

Briefly had an EV6 non-GT. Good car, small cabin though, felt more like a Model 3 inside with the very high floor. My head was touching the ceiling, I am 6'4".

Acceleration was muted. It was very soft off the line, you can tell that Tesla lets you get all of the raw power right away, whereas everyone else torque limits their EVs. (Guessing the Taycan/e-tron GT don't though!)

App sucked - very slow, the normal legacy-auto "send a command and wait a minute for the car to respond" type of deal. It's little stuff like that, that keeps me going back to Tesla.
I dunno. Im driving a Wind right now (same as GT Line), and my 60' time per Dragy was 1.99. Thats not a hard launch by any means, but Id consider it very respectable for a 320hp/446tq 4700# vehicle.