Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 vs MY boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the EV6 GT, ended up buying a M3P though. The performance figures honestly pretty close, but the M3P has WAY more range (and costs 10's of 1000's less).

I can see how someone may choose the EV6 GT over the MYP if they didnt need all the cargo space/range and the M3P was too small for them.
In the real world, the M3P doesn't have as much range as you think. Car and Driver tested it to get about 220mi at 75mph. Its way overrated by Tesla.

In the real world, the M3P doesn't have as much range as you think. Car and Driver tested it to get about 220mi at 75mph. Its way overrated by Tesla.
This "in the real world" phrase is highly dependent on context... If you look at Edmund's EPA simulation drive, Teslas are the most accurate - they have 3 or 4 of the top five most precise. Edmunds knocks Tesla for coming in under EPA range, but Teslas have the lowest percent error. Most automakers sandbag their EPA rating, so actual range by Edmunds' test typically comes in higher.

On the other hand, continuous highway driving is a totally different use case. The nut is that if you are accurate on EPA range, you will be lower on highway range - just basic physics.

I wish the other automakers were as good as Tesla at publishing EPA range so that the numbers would be meaningful for direct comparison.

Last edited:
This "in the real world" phrase is highly dependent on context... If you look at Edmund's EPA simulation drive, Teslas are the most accurate - they have 3 or 4 of the top five most precise. Edmunds knocks Tesla for coming in under EPA range, but Teslas have the lowest percent error. Most automakers sandbag their EPA rating, so actual range by Edmunds' test typically comes in higher.

On the other hand, continuous highway driving is a totally different use case. The nut is that if you are accurate on EPA range, you will be lower on highway range - just basic physics.

I wish the other automakers were as good as Tesla at publishing EPA range so that the numbers would be meaningful for direct comparison.
Odd. My ev6 GT is rated 206 and edmunds got 238. How did the MY and M3 do? Probably nowhere near their epa rating is my bet.

Here we go...
Screenshot_20230624-052115_Chrome.jpg

So, about 20 miles more range in the real world.

Odd. My ev6 GT is rated 206 and edmunds got 238. How did the MY and M3 do? Probably nowhere near their epa rating is my bet.

Here we go...

So, about 20 miles more range in the real world.
The point of my post is that people throw around the term "real world" without defining it and the unconscious assumption that everyone else has the same driving patterns. Is "real world" simulated EPA test, like Edmunds, or 75 MPH continuous driving, or 65 MPH continuous driving, or local suburban driving, etc...

One basic data point is accuracy in the published EPA range, which the Edmunds test attempts to simulate. Tesla is better than everyone else.

Top 5 most accurate EPA ranges, as tested by Edmunds. I added the EV6 GT and bottom 5 for context. Kia has a couple in the top 10, but they are not players.

RankVehicleEPA RangeEdmunds Test% Difference
1​
2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
348 miles​
345 miles​
-1%​
2​
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
314 miles​
321 miles​
2%​
3​
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range
353 miles​
345 miles​
-2%​
4​
2020 Tesla Model S Performance
326 miles​
318 miles​
-2%​
5​
2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range
326 miles​
317 miles​
-3%​
37​
2023 Kia EV6 GT
208 miles​
236 miles​
13%​
57​
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 450+
350 miles​
422 miles​
21%​
58​
2022 Audi RS e-tron GT
232 miles​
285 miles​
23%​
59​
2022 Porsche Taycan (20-in wheels)
225 miles​
286 miles​
27%​
60​
2020 MINI Cooper SE
110 miles​
150 miles​
36%​
61​
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S (20-in wheels)
203 miles​
323 miles​
59%​

Reactions: Unobtanium
The advertising is whats weird. I just got a M3P (have had a MYLR for a couple years). The advertised range is 315mi. BUUUTTT, when you look at the window sticker under fuel economy it says "300Wh/mi" (technically they put it as 30kWh/100mi), For an 82kW battery that would be 273mi which is probably more of a real world number.

I get why they publish 2 different EPA numbers, its better for sales, but the one under fuel economy should be used. (I dont have my MY window sticker in hand, but I think it was 28kWh/100mi (?) which certainly doesnt equal 326mi (the advertised range when I bought it)

Reactions: Unobtanium
The point of my post is that people throw around the term "real world" without defining it and the unconscious assumption that everyone else has the same driving patterns. Is "real world" simulated EPA test, like Edmunds, or 75 MPH continuous driving, or 65 MPH continuous driving, or local suburban driving, etc...
I personally find when people care about range, it's usually in the context of "can I do a specific trip X", which tends to suggest "75mph highway" as one of the more useful ways of expressing the data. I know I personally really only care about highway range when thinking of an EVs range.

Reactions: Tha_Ape and gtae07
The advertising is whats weird. I just got a M3P (have had a MYLR for a couple years). The advertised range is 315mi. BUUUTTT, when you look at the window sticker under fuel economy it says "300Wh/mi" (technically they put it as 30kWh/100mi), For an 82kW battery that would be 273mi which is probably more of a real world number.

I get why they publish 2 different EPA numbers, its better for sales, but the one under fuel economy should be used. (I dont have my MY window sticker in hand, but I think it was 28kWh/100mi (?) which certainly doesnt equal 326mi (the advertised range when I bought it)
EPA MPGe includes charging losses (I think assumed L2 don't know if 9.6kw or 7.4kw or what), and maybe the 30 kWh/100 mi does as well.