Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why we need more customization control. What’s important into people is clearly varying to some degree; however, there are a couple of underlying themes one being: feature X should be on the bottom bar of the default screen. People have opinions of what X is, but if it was customizable they could make a lot of people happier. And it’s customizable now, just not with the options people are complaining about. So go add those.
Maybe they will...my whole point was to push back against the "dangerous" and "unusable now" or 'buried in menus" kind of posts because an additional button press was now required. Those are ridiculous. It may not be to their liking but to call it unusable or buried because of one extra button push is nuts.

And when tire pressure is added as an icon, then the complaint will be that the icon is not representative. 😉
A good icon would be a tire...green colored for pressures all ok, yellow colored for check and red colored for check now...or something like that for those that don't trust their TPMS or are the type that must check all the time for peace of mind. If you want actual numbers then press the button! Of course, best way to check tire pressure in v10 AND v11 is to do so when stationary and not moving along...at a lights for example. I check my tire pressure once a week at best...only once was their a slight drop in one tire to set off the TPMS...never happened again...in 2 years. My OEM tires are rock solid. I add some air perhaps once every 3-4 months

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
A good icon would be a tire...green colored for pressures all ok, yellow colored for check and red colored for check now...or something like that for those that don't trust their TPMS or are the type that must check all the time for peace of mind. If you want actual numbers then press the button! Of course, best way to check tire pressure in v10 AND v11 is to do so when stationary and not moving along...at a lights for example. I check my tire pressure once a week at best...only once was their a slight drop in one tire to set off the TPMS...never happened again...in 2 years. My OEM tires are rock solid. I add some air perhaps once every 3-4 months
I'm thinking of 4 icons, one for each tire. Then they can select only the one tire they want to look at.

Oh wait, here's an idea;
1640815347012.png

Maybe they will...my whole point was to push back against the "dangerous" and "unusable now" or 'buried in menus" kind of posts because an additional button press was now required. Those are ridiculous. It may not be to their liking but to call it unusable or buried because of one extra button push is nuts.
Buried in menus & number of button presses (or mouse clicks) to do something are real metrics. People/companies building apps track this stuff in order to make improvements and to decide where to make investments.

My experience with software that could result in dangerous situations is more mixed. Lots rederic & opinions and frankly bad decisions. And not a lot of science (metrics used) because it’s hard to have data on the down side. Oh look, we blew up fewer times with that change then without.

Buried in menus & number of button presses (or mouse clicks) to do something are real metrics. People/companies building apps track this stuff in order to make improvements and to decide where to make investments.

My experience with software that could result in dangerous situations is more mixed. Lots rederic & opinions and frankly bad decisions. And not a lot of science (metrics used) because it’s hard to have data on the down side. Oh look, we blew up fewer times with that change then without.
Perhaps Tesla tracked the amount of times people actually accessed stuff and made their decisions based on real world data?

Perhaps Tesla tracked the amount of times people actually accessed stuff and made their decisions based on real world data?
Who knows. And that can create problems as well. You need to get the stats right which people bake all the time to fit their argument. And it’s hard to measure indicators.. I can imagine “see the driver menu is awesome, people are accessing it 1000% more” and really all people are after is seeing some indicator that’s been moved there. (And if it’s really being access that much more often maybe that’s not an inductor of success)

I’d put the lack street names in the difficult indicator bucket too. I’m curious to try that out but I can see this as “it’s nice so long as you know where you are”. Which is most of the time, but of course the map is also for times where you’re in a place you don’t know.

You need focus groups as well. Which I can imagine is how the “cards” would get nuked as a feature. Eg sit someone in the car and say “check the tire pressure”. It was not very discoverable until you knew about it. Now you should sit someone in the car and say “turn on the defroster” and see what happens. It might be inconvenient and somewhat difficult for some folks now, but it probably is a hazard if you don’t know how to do it and are trying to figure it out just when you realize you need it.

Who knows. And that can create problems as well. You need to get the stats right which people bake all the time to fit their argument. And it’s hard to measure indicators.. I can imagine “see the driver menu is awesome, people are accessing it 1000% more” and really all people are after is seeing some indicator that’s been moved there. (And if it’s really being access that much more often maybe that’s not an inductor of success)

I’d put the lack street names in the difficult indicator bucket too. I’m curious to try that out but I can see this as “it’s nice so long as you know where you are”. Which is most of the time, but of course the map is also for times where you’re in a place you don’t know.

You need focus groups as well. Which I can imagine is how the “cards” would get nuked as a feature. Eg sit someone in the car and say “check the tire pressure”. It was not very discoverable until you knew about it. Now you should sit someone in the car and say “turn on the defroster” and see what happens. It might be inconvenient and somewhat difficult for some folks now, but it probably is a hazard if you don’t know how to do it and are trying to figure it out just when you realize you need it.
Lack of street names? I don't follow? Are you talking about the Nav screen? I have street names on mine...? As for learning stuff...as with any new car it is always best to sit yourself in the car and go through stuff to familiarize yourself. I should think that a new owner after finding the defroster would never even think twice about finding it next time. I would imagine it would be fairly intuitive that it would be in the climate control settings

Lack of street names? I don't follow? Are you talking about the Nav screen? I have street names on mine...? As for learning stuff...as with any new car it is always best to sit yourself in the car and go through stuff to familiarize yourself. I should think that a new owner after finding the defroster would never even think twice about finding it next time. I would imagine it would be fairly intuitive that it would be in the climate control settings
Someone said there are less street names on the map then before. I haven’t looked closely, but something looked different about it. I thought it was more zoomed in the before but I think it may have had fewer names on it.

As for the “it’s obvious” that’s why you need focus group type testing/studies. I’m not so sure it is obvious at first. To me it doesn’t feel as obvious as a dedicated button that ever other car currently has. Once you know where it is, sure it makes some amount of sense.

Saying people should find these things before getting the car on the road is IMO wishful thinking. People just assume some things.. like pressing the wheel will honk the horn. Using the lever will turn on the blinkers etc. and that the defrost option is going to be in some obvious place when I need to find it.

Someone said there are less street names on the map then before. I haven’t looked closely, but something looked different about it. I thought it was more zoomed in the before but I think it may have had fewer names on it.

As for the “it’s obvious” that’s why you need focus group type testing/studies. I’m not so sure it is obvious at first. To me it doesn’t feel as obvious as a dedicated button that ever other car currently has. Once you know where it is, sure it makes some amount of sense.

Saying people should find these things before getting the car on the road is IMO wishful thinking. People just assume some things.. like pressing the wheel will honk the horn. Using the lever will turn on the blinkers etc. and that the defrost option is going to be in some obvious place when I need to find it.
The maps in daytime is same as before but visibility is broken and potentially a bug in nighttime mode.

Always best to check for yourself before you go on hearsay. Nothing wrong with maps. Street names all there as before. As for the 'it's obvious' I thought I would do a little test with my wife and a son...my son found defrost within 15 seconds. my wife within 10. Not a scientific test by any means but does go to show that common sense often prevails. As for getting to know your car before you drive around, well that again is just common sense. Whenever I rent a car I sit in it and check where things are before I drive off. That way I am not fumbling around while driving. Being a Tesla and quite different to what most new owners would be used to, it is likely more people would check. I know when I took delivery of my Tesla I spent 30 minutes checking things before I drove off. It just seemed like the logical thing to do in a car I had not driven before. Of course, many new buyers will likely have some experience through watching YouTube videos etc so many will already likely know where the controls are. In short, its not difficult to find any of the controls and once found never forgotten.

Always best to check for yourself before you go on hearsay. Nothing wrong with maps. Street names all there as before. As for the 'it's obvious' I thought I would do a little test with my wife and a son...my son found defrost within 15 seconds. my wife within 10. Not a scientific test by any means but does go to show that common sense often prevails. As for getting to know your car before you drive around, well that again is just common sense. Whenever I rent a car I sit in it and check where things are before I drive off. That way I am not fumbling around while driving. Being a Tesla and quite different to what most new owners would be used to, it is likely more people would check. I know when I took delivery of my Tesla I spent 30 minutes checking things before I drove off. It just seemed like the logical thing to do in a car I had not driven before. Of course, many new buyers will likely have some experience through watching YouTube videos etc so many will already likely know where the controls are. In short, its not difficult to find any of the controls and once found never forgotten.

And oh the other hand I had to tell my office mate that AP was only meant for the highway when after a few days of owning his car he said “what’s matter with it, it was going to blow right through a stop sign”. (This was before stop sign detection).

Many people don’t read the instructions.

I did, but that’s because I was curious about it. I also travel somewhat (before Covid) and never sit in the car finding things other the “how do I turn this thing on” and “where do I plug my phone charger cord in”. Most cars are intuitive to use.

Yes. I agree 100% this update is garbage. And it hurts me 10 times more than the typical Tesla owner because like an idiot I just traded in my 2016 Model S for a brand new Model Y only to first get inundated with a new, one-screen life and ultra-minimalism of the Y and then being kicked in the nuts with this V11 update which has taken away yet more functionality and is making me weep missing my Model S.

This update is so bad in so many ways. Not being able to see the Kw/H usage, consumption, etc is so bad. Not being able to BASIC information like Supercharger locations on a map is absurdly mindless and then having to go into car control screen to do basic stuff like turn on seat heat (whereas previously there was a dedicated button) is just a strange 10 steps backwards. Like which nut case engineer or set of engineers at Tesla thought "hey how can we take a borderline dangerous minimalistic car experience and take it to the suicide level wherein we ensure we distract drivers enough by making them go into menus and submenus constantly until they crash their car". Legit this seems like the underlying mindset of this new update.

I hate hate hate the fact that over the past more than half a decade I have only Tesla as the formidable player ruling the EV market. I was really hopeful for Rivian and other players to give stiff competition to Tesla but things are just not "there" yet and thus I have to continue to suffer with Tesla until I get a better option. And during that time Tesla will continue to try to pull off such crap making its customers further unhappy.

EDIT: I'd just like to add that if most (if not all) of us can go on twitter and post this thread and tag @Tesla and @Elon on the tweets hopefully that will help get their attention to this garbage. Cuz you know Elon loves tweeting like a bloody teenager and perhaps a lot of us need to create a noise about this on twitter for them to pay attention?

Last edited:
Yes. I agree 100% this update is garbage. And it hurts me 10 times more than the typical Tesla owner because like an idiot I just traded in my 2016 Model S for a brand new Model Y only to first get inundated with a new, one-screen life and ultra-minimalism of the Y and then being kicked in the nuts with this V11 update which has taken away yet more functionality and is making me weep missing my Model S.

This update is so bad in so many ways. Not being able to see the Kw/H usage, consumption, etc is so bad. Not being able to BASIC information like Supercharger locations on a map is absurdly mindless and then having to go into car control screen to do basic stuff like turn on seat heat (whereas previously there was a dedicated button) is just a strange 10 steps backwards. Like which nut case engineer or set of engineers at Tesla thought "hey how can we take a borderline dangerous minimalistic car experience and take it to the suicide level wherein we ensure we distract drivers enough by making them go into menus and submenus constantly until they crash their car". Legit this seems like the underlying mindset of this new update.

I hate hate hate the fact that over the past more than half a decade I have only Tesla as the formidable player ruling the EV market. I was really hopeful for Rivian and other players to give stiff competition to Tesla but things are just not "there" yet and thus I have to continue to suffer with Tesla until I get a better option. And during that time Tesla will continue to try to pull off such crap making its customers further unhappy.

EDIT: I'd just like to add that if most (if not all) of us can go on twitter and post this thread and tag @Tesla and @Elon on the tweets hopefully that will help get their attention to this garbage. Cuz you know Elon loves tweeting like a bloody teenager and perhaps a lot of us need to create a noise about this on twitter for them to pay attention?
I agree. This is definitely not a case of getting used to something new. It's a silly Elon-style ridiculous change. As said by others, all of this entertainment stuff is useless. Don't make me look at the screen and when my eyes should be on the road. And to remove voice commands that I always use? They were getting so useful and now?? The Tesla engineers have really blown it. And I hate to say it, but there will be accidents for careless driving when Tesla drivers look at the screen too much.