Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Your EV needs to be plugged in and at the expected location before Octopus will schedule the charging, which may be a window including both peak and off-peak with actual charging happening within that at their control to reach your requested SoC and finish time. They say plug in after 17:00 for this, but if you plug in earlier and need a larger amount of charge it will sometimes schedule sooner. I just plug in by habit when I get home.

Reactions: teotutulan
I have the engineer coming tomorrow to install the wall charger for the car. I have already planned the switch to the IO, just hope everything will go smoothly with the charge as I am feeling slightly anxious after reading all these posts here.
Let me see if I got it right and please please correct me if I am wrong.
I set the charge limit on the car or on the app at 80% (or whatever my heart desires).
Set the smart charging possibilities of the charger (ohme pro) to off, just to make sure that it will act like a dumb charger.
Plug in the car to make sure I get a test charge.
After that it will be the case of requesting a charge when I need the car charged and IO will get me a slot - Otherwise it will only charge during the night slots 23:30 to 05:30, correct ?
My question is : Do I plug in the car all the time or only plug it on when it is needed or when IO gives me the slot ?

Thank you.
The Ohme Pro natively supports IO. Is there any reason you’re not using the Ohme Pro integration rather than the Tesla integration? Using the EVSE rather than the car itself should make it more reliable, with fewer issues around the car charging far too long on initial plug in, and issues like a couple of nights ago when cars didn’t wake up to charge.

The Ohme Pro natively supports IO. Is there any reason you’re not using the Ohme Pro integration rather than the Tesla integration? Using the EVSE rather than the car itself should make it more reliable, with fewer issues around the car charging far too long on initial plug in, and issues like a couple of nights ago when cars didn’t wake up to charge.
To iterate, I am only installing the charger tomorrow. I wasn't aware that there is an Ohme Pro integration. How do I activate that ? Can I undo the Tesla integration? Sorry for the stupid questions. Thanks

To iterate, I am only installing the charger tomorrow. I wasn't aware that there is an Ohme Pro integration. How do I activate that ? Can I undo the Tesla integration? Sorry for the stupid questions. Thanks
When you get the Ohme Pro, you can disconnect the Tesla from Intelligent Octopus then make a new connection selecting the Ohme Pro, instead.

I’m running off PWs so don’t use peak grid power so this means I can’t save anything from nothing. 🫤
If you took advantage of the in day adjustment window and charged your batteries( not sure if that’s possible with PWs) and anything else during that window you would have done ok.
i Don’t use any peak electric and was averaging 40k points a session.
the adjustment window is changing next winter and a consultation is currently being discussed including the charging of batteries prior to the savings session

Hi everyone! New member here, but wanted to sign up and post here to say a huge thank you to you all for the help and advice on this thread. We picked up our new (new to us at least), Model 3 Long Range almost a week ago. By the end of last week we had our Tesla Wall Connector installed and I‘d moved us over from Flexible to Intelligent Octopus.

I’ve set the car to not start charging until 11:30PM, which gets us around the charging straight away issue and every night so far (touch wood), we‘ve had out charging schedule assigned and the car has been back at 90% in the morning. I’ve started using Tessie (which I can’t recommend enough), and each morning I can see the charging blocks that IO did the night before in the Tessie app and see what I would have paid in diesel for the charge the just went in at 10p / kWh.

Amazing to think that our energy provider is talking to our car every day to figure out the best way to charge it using cheaper energy - very clever and I would have taken me an awful lot longer to figure it all were were it not for this thread, so thank you!

Reactions: rowedav
One thing I’ll add in case it helps others, when I plug in for the evening - say 7PM and get my charge slots through from IO, my car and the app say that the car is ready to charge at 16A and I don’t have an option to up to to 32A. I disappeared down a rabbit hole of reading forum posts about low current charging issues and thinking it’s all going wrong, then in the morning I check the charge sessions that happened overnight and they are indeed pushing 32A current running at 7kW ish, so must be a thing where until the charge is requested, either the car or wall connector advertises only 16A. Hope this helps someone else just wait and see what their charge sessions do rather than reading half the internet :) (This is also the reason I grabbed Tessie, so I could easily see all the charge stats on my phone).

Reactions: rowedav
Got the Ohme Home Pro installed today. After fiddling with the apps, Ohme, Tesla and Octopus I finally managed to setup the IO. I have tried as it has been suggested to integrate IO straight with Ohme, however, they are still in Beta and they send you to the Ohme App to schedule the charging.
What I have done, I have deleted all the devices from the app, pause the charging on Ohme, took off all the toggles and deleted all the schedules in the Ohme app. The app is showing that I have a smart charge schedule between 11:48am and 12:00pm. Does this mean that in this period of time I have 10p/KWh?

IMG_2123.PNG
IMG_2124.PNG
IMG_2125.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2125.PNG
    IMG_2125.PNG
    357.5 KB · Views: 76
I had to take a ride in the car, came back home, plugged in the car, and now the car is charging. However, in the IO app, the charging time has changed as in between 11:30 and 08:30. Why is my car charging, when I believe IO would give the kick in to start charging ? Or am I missing something essential here? Is there a guide on how to properly set it up ? Thanks in advance.

They are probably charging it ahead of the lunch-time higher energy use when it is cheaper and in combination with sunshine with greener grid generation sources. It will likely stop shortly then resume later in the day. Each time it charges through IO scheduling that half-hour block of time will be off-peak for household and car. It may sometimes charge briefly on plugging in as they assess state of charge and charge target.

Could also be that charging current has suddenly lowered for some reason, so check that.

They are probably charging it ahead of the lunch-time higher energy use when it is cheaper and in combination with sunshine with greener grid generation sources. It will likely stop shortly then resume later in the day. Each time it charges through IO scheduling that half-hour block of time will be off-peak for household and car. It may sometimes charge briefly on plugging in as they assess state of charge and charge target.

Could also be that charging current has suddenly lowered for some reason, so check that.

1. Tesla app is showing that it is charging
2. Ohme app shows that is smart charging
3. IO app now it is showing that the slot for the smart charging is between 11:30 pm to 08:30 am.

The only thing that I had to do, was to approve the plugin into the Ohme app. It is really charging at the peak rate or off peak rate ? I haven't "ordered" the car to charge. I haven't bumped up the charge. The limit is setup at 100% (I know, normal is 80, just wanted to be on the safe side).
If the charging slot is between 11:30 pm and 08:30 am why is it charging now ? I have disabled the smart charging on the Ohme app and all the schedules.
Thanks

If you took advantage of the in day adjustment window and charged your batteries( not sure if that’s possible with PWs) and anything else during that window you would have done ok.
i Don’t use any peak electric and was averaging 40k points a session.
the adjustment window is changing next winter and a consultation is currently being discussed including the charging of batteries prior to the savings session
I guess I don't know when the adjustment window is, but we only take in grid power between 23:30 and 05:30, and even then not for all that period every night.