Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they have since 1st of July. Day rate is now 31p vs your 37p.
And you standing charge is huge too, the new one is 36. All in all would make up some nice savings. You should ring them up and ask to exit your fixed IO to be moved to the Variable IO one.
Try to explain it clearly to the phone operators, they might not understand what you are asking at first, few are aware of the difference between the two.
Rates and standing charges are different on all areas. If you think his standing charge is big you should come to the northwest, our standing charge is 60p a day!

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
The reasons for this are in the first page wiki post, tldr: there are two measures of Tesla battery %.

And yes, if you frig your current settings then you are going to miss your targets. IO assumes you are charging at the full current available.
Yes, aware of that.

And yes aware of that too.

I think I explained what I did and why fairly clearly. TLDR; I slightly dialled down the speed to avoid (peak?) grid import, as I’m not sure if I’m being charged peak rate yet or the 7.5p per kW on IO, as it’s still showing “flexible” as my tariff in the app/web despite having the car all set up on IO. Don’t want to import any if I have extra sitting there in the batteries already (esp. not at peak rate?); to see it all exported for £0.00 the next day when the batteries are full again. SEG not set up yet.

I’ve never seen the car adjust it’s percentage up after charging - ever. Not once in 18 months of ownership. Not even 1% change. Maybe I haven’t been looking closely enough but I do look closely. Maybe it’s after the Tesla s/w update ?

Car hit its target 85% so I guess all is working fine. Although it was a smallish charge. Maybe things will be different for a large charge, although, as I mentioned, in autumn/winter and when the battery is all used up at the end of the day I’ll be charging at the full 32A. Reducing the charge rate to try and gain extra slots by ‘gaming the system’ isn’t of interest to me and in my case would be detrimental to the Solar batteries SOC at the start of the day.

I’ve never seen the car adjust it’s percentage up after charging - ever. Not once in 18 months of ownership. Not even 1% change. Maybe I haven’t been looking closely enough but I do look closely. Maybe it’s after the Tesla s/w update ?

Common occurrence for us. 1% before, 3% after on this occasion. Without something like TeslaFi to highlight them it’s all to easy to lose any change in the next drive.

For reference, this was not a home charge but car went on charge immediately after a 35min (“5%” used, ~15mile) drive.

IMG_0272.jpeg

I have no idea what you’re showing me there.

So, sometimes you charge to say 80%, the car is showing 80% but when you go back later the car is showing 83% ?

Very interesting. Honestly that’s never ever happened to me. I’ve gone back and it’s been 1% Less a couple of times though ~ after a few hours, with sentry on 😂

What model do you have?

New to IO, have the hypervolt charger so connected octopus app with the car.
Everything seems to be ok the only problem I have is I want the car to be ready for 3am but the app only allowing me to choose times from 4am to 11.
Car have 65% charge so I need 3.5h to 100%. When I'm choosing earliest option on the app it shows smart charging from 2am which only gone give 20%. Any ideas how can I choose 3 am for the charge to finish.
Atm I switched intelligent charging and set charger to schedule charging on off peak rate

So, sometimes you charge to say 80%, the car is showing 80% but when you go back later the car is showing 83% ?

Yep, pretty much. Except in this case it charged to 85% as per the charge limit, then sat there parked, BMS recalibrated and it adjusted up 3% to 88%. These are API values, so not exactly the same as shown in the app or in car due to various factors (usually temperature), but in this case I suspect they will have matched and shown the same.

Conversely, it will also do the reverse.

Its just the BMS recalibrating. It very difficult/impossible to get an exact SoC on a Lithium battery (unlike many batteries, voltage is pretty much flat over large SoC range), hence BMS is simply making an educated guess based upon a couple of reference points its gathered (and gathers) over time.

Model 3 LR 2019.

Everything seems to be ok the only problem I have is I want the car to be ready for 3am but the app only allowing me to choose times from 4am to 11.
Car have 65% charge so I need 3.5h to 100%. When I'm choosing earliest option on the app it shows smart charging from 2am which only gone give 20%. Any ideas how can I choose 3 am for the charge to finish.
Atm I switched intelligent charging and set charger to schedule charging on off peak rate
You can't. 4am - 11am are the only times, I'm assuming to stop people putting in too early/late and trying to get extended off peak windows at peak times.

Reactions: Drew57
Yep, pretty much. Except in this case it charged to 85% as per the charge limit, then sat there parked, BMS recalibrated and it adjusted up 3% to 88%. These are API values, so not exactly the same as shown in the app or in car due to various factors (usually temperature), but in this case I suspect they will have matched and shown the same.

Conversely, it will also do the reverse.

Its just the BMS recalibrating. It very difficult/impossible to get an exact SoC on a Lithium battery (unlike many batteries, voltage is pretty much flat over large SoC range), hence BMS is simply making an educated guess based upon a couple of reference points its gathered (and gathers) over time.

Model 3 LR 2019.
Ah-ha !

Yes, so the car %age figure doesn’t jump up just what you’re looking at in Tesla-fi changes. Ok makes sense now.

I guess that’s why they use two figures. Otherwise everyone would be going mad wondering WTF is happening!

The solution to this is to temporarily turn off “smart charge” in the Octopus app.

>“Octopus Account” - (the face at the top LHS)
>”Devices” - (lower left)
>”Device settings: Intelligent Octopus” - (scroll to bottom)
>toggle to “off”

Do this for the days when you need the car earlier than 0400am. And set the car ready by time (“off-peak charge” in the Tesla app) to when you need it (3am).
The downside is that you may get some peak rate charging before 23:30 if you are adding more than approx “35%” charge to the car each night (car/ charger dependant but assuming a std ‘7kW’ charger) - But then you would have this anyway, as you’re only giving yourself a 3.5hr window from 23:30 till leaving at 0300am !

Upside is that you’ll always get the majority of the charge at 7.5p, just some days you may have to pay a bit of peak if needed before 23:30.

You could try adjusting your weekly charging habits, so that you just add 35% each night (or whatever figure keeps you within your reduced off-peak 3.5hrs) to the current pre-charge car SOC. If you can get away with it.
So for example charge to 100% Sunday night, 95% Monday night, 90% Tuesday, 85% Wednesday, etc. then catch up on the Friday night/ the weekend when hopefully you’re not leaving at 0300am !

Just make sure you smart charge at least once a month (weekends?) to stay within the IO terms and conditions otherwise you’ll upset @browellm - errr, I mean Octopus 😂

Ah-ha !

Yes, so the car %age figure doesn’t jump up just what you’re looking at in Tesla-fi changes. Ok makes sense now.

I guess that’s why they use two figures. Otherwise everyone would be going mad wondering WTF is happening!

I don’t see any reason why you won’t see it in the car (I’ve never seen car/app report anything different to either of two values TeslaFi reports from api) as the difference is normally only 1% if that (at present they are the same for me) unless very cold in which case you would probably see the snowflake.

The important thing is that IO uses the API figure (absolute guess) where as app and car uses the usable values. So if charging on IO it will stop at the absolute value (and just as it tips into it so 85,0%) where as in app and car you might see a slightly different figure especially as it’s non fractional values so 80% limit might soon drop to 79% as the 80.0% drops to 79.9% (tbh I have no idea which way the display rounds so might be 79.5 or even 79.49%}.

Add In a % or two variance between absolute (api/IO) and usable (APP/car) and easy to see why some report IO not hitting their charge limit.

Also worth noting that after driving a short time absolute and usable soon converge as battery gets to normal operating temperature. So easy to lose these subtle changes during a drive.

As BMS recalibrations of several % are quite rate (although not that rare as above example was last week), it’s normally +/- 1% here and there so again subtlety easily overlooked and often during night/around charging as battery core temperatures change the most. Previous example was just to show these can go up as well as down but in the example given it just happen to be not so subtle at 3%.

Reactions: Pete UK
IO still not working for me and Octopus haven't replied to my emails for several days now so it seems they've given up trying to fix it.
So I'm just going to set scheduled charging on the Tesla app from 23:30 each night and get the cheap rate that way.
Let's see if they do anything after a month of me not using the intelligent option...

IO still not working for me and Octopus haven't replied to my emails for several days now so it seems they've given up trying to fix it.
So I'm just going to set scheduled charging on the Tesla app from 23:30 each night and get the cheap rate that way.
Let's see if they do anything after a month of me not using the intelligent option...
Can try and help you troubleshoot but your main post a couple of pages back was a little unclear.

It sounds like you did receive a schedule - which should mean you're onboarded.
But then you mentioned something about a charging history in the Octopus app - there isn't one.

Have you confirmed the basics?
1. Turn off ALL smart features from your EVSE
2. Remove ALL start and stop schedules from your car/Tesla app
3. Set max charging % in the car/Tesla app to 100%
4. Plug in around 4-5pm (to begin with) and wait a a while (potentially) for a schedule to be displayed in the Octopus app.

Can try and help you troubleshoot but your main post a couple of pages back was a little unclear.

It sounds like you did receive a schedule - which should mean you're onboarded.
But then you mentioned something about a charging history in the Octopus app - there isn't one.

Have you confirmed the basics?
1. Turn off ALL smart features from your EVSE
2. Remove ALL start and stop schedules from your car/Tesla app
3. Set max charging % in the car/Tesla app to 100%
4. Plug in around 4-5pm (to begin with) and wait a a while (potentially) for a schedule to be displayed in the Octopus app.
1. Turn off ALL smart features from your EVSE - Yes
2. Remove ALL start and stop schedules from your car/Tesla app - Yes
3. Set max charging % in the car/Tesla app to 100% - Yes
4. Plug in around 4-5pm (to begin with) and wait a a while (potentially) for a schedule to be displayed in the Octopus app. - Yes

Did all of this as Octopus had already suggested. They also took the car off the account so I could go through the onboarding again which I did.
Same result after that - Plug in, charging starts, I get a notification of the schedule (but not in the app itself), charging stops and it looks like it's now waiting for the scheduled time but then after several minutes, charging starts again and will just carry on to the set limit if I left it.

Just swapped over to IO. Tesla all set up.

So how does this work then….?

(I Only need to add about 9% today.)

Ready by time set to: 05:30

Extra slots given: 06:30-0700 and 0700-0730 !

Seems a bit odd. Slots after the “ready by time” ?

What If I leave at 05:30? Then no charging could have happened. I’m confused 😕

Anyone seen this before? Is it normal?

View attachment 960628
Ok,

So I’ve worked out what was going on here.

I was in a different time zone. GMT +3.

So it was showing the slots in local time according to my phone! Which were all within the IO 6hr it’s slot.

The actual times it charged were 04:30-05:30.