Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
@Yuff

Yeah agree and I’m doing the same. Charge overnight and discharge at 15p.

I’ve got 38kW of batteries (high winter user too) and although I’ve got an 11.34kW array, panels are not in perfect locations or directions(8xN,5xS,14xE -45 degree roof), so prolly generate about 6,000kW a year based on 3.5 months use so far (installer estimated 6,900). Unless next spring is much better than July/ Aug!

Usage was 19,000 last year. Use about 10kW a day in summer, worst month in winter was about 77kW daily average if I recall 🙈 if I can substitute the electric floor mats and insulate I reckon I could get that down a lot and the gas heating bill.

2023 Daily averages since install so far are;
July: 28.5kWh
Aug: 23.8kWh
Sept: 16.0kWh
Oct: 10.1kW (so far!)

Which is about 85% of the installers estimates.

The solar is kind of half the equation and the batteries is the other half. Right now I feel I’ve got a battery array, with some Solar back up 😝

I’ve got flexibility, with the kit I chose, which I like. And if tariffs change, there is some flexibility there with Octopus as well. And maybe with other suppliers if Octopus gets bought out or folds (which I hope they don’t).

I’m gonna run it for a year and see what my costs and extra capacity are and think about a heat pump or something like a ZEB that does the hot water (when it comes out) if feasible.
At the moment it’s looking like the exported energy could go a fair way towards the gas bill though. If I add a heat pump or ZEB, I won’t be getting much or any of that export money. (Which could be as much as £2,000 a year, exporting all the solar and with charging overnight all year and exporting the spare in the evenings!).

I’ve got a few tricks to pull: insulate properly, add a couple of rads where the majority of the underfloor heating is but haven’t had the time to get on it yet. Finding it hard to get a plumber to come and just install 2 rads !

I’ll take it from there and see how it goes. Assess in a year. Then once it’s all done and dusted the Mrs will probably want to move 😂

Reactions: Yuff
You need to go into the installer menu on the Powerwalls and set it there. It's a fairly trivial thing to do.
Alternatively, if you're uncomfortable tinkering, you can email [email protected] with your details and Gateway serial number and ask them to set a Site Import Limit for you. They're usually quite responsive (by Tesla standards).
The beauty of doing it this way is that you don't need to compromise your car charging (it's more important for me to charge the cars than it is to charge the batteries), and the the PWs will be able to run your incoming grid connection at full pelt for as long as is necessary during your off-peak period. So at 22kW import limit on Intelligent Octopus you'd be able to use 132kWh of power, which is likely more than enough for your needs even in the middle of winter.
Thanks, however, I'd need the installer's email address to be able to do that and I have promised not to tamper as I saw how they set it up. I will explore that, thank you.

Thanks, however, I'd need the installer's email address to be able to do that and I have promised not to tamper as I saw how they set it up. I will explore that, thank you.
Not really. All you need to do is toggle the PW switch off and on.
But I appreciate you being uncomfortable doing it so emailing them might be the way forward.
Once they've done it, your status page will show the setting (photo attached) so you'll know it's done.

Good luck! :)

1697735753749.png

• Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
Not really. All you need to do is toggle the PW switch off and on.
But I appreciate you being uncomfortable doing it so emailing them might be the way forward.
Once they've done it, your status page will show the setting (photo attached) so you'll know it's done.

Good luck! :)

View attachment 983521
Do you mean the switch in the Gateway or one or both of the Powerwalls. Also, where do you see that graphic, is it on the IP address of the Gateway?

@Yuff

Yeah agree and I’m doing the same. Charge overnight and discharge at 15p.

I’ve got 38kW of batteries (high winter user too) and although I’ve got an 11.34kW array, panels are not in perfect locations or directions(8xN,5xS,14xE -45 degree roof), so prolly generate about 6,000kW a year based on 3.5 months use so far (installer estimated 6,900). Unless next spring is much better than July/ Aug!

Usage was 19,000 last year. Use about 10kW a day in summer, worst month in winter was about 77kW daily average if I recall 🙈 if I can substitute the electric floor mats and insulate I reckon I could get that down a lot and the gas heating bill.

2023 Daily averages since install so far are;
July: 28.5kWh
Aug: 23.8kWh
Sept: 16.0kWh
Oct: 10.1kW (so far!)

Which is about 85% of the installers estimates.

The solar is kind of half the equation and the batteries is the other half. Right now I feel I’ve got a battery array, with some Solar back up 😝

I’ve got flexibility, with the kit I chose, which I like. And if tariffs change, there is some flexibility there with Octopus as well. And maybe with other suppliers if Octopus gets bought out or folds (which I hope they don’t).

I’m gonna run it for a year and see what my costs and extra capacity are and think about a heat pump or something like a ZEB that does the hot water (when it comes out) if feasible.
At the moment it’s looking like the exported energy could go a fair way towards the gas bill though. If I add a heat pump or ZEB, I won’t be getting much or any of that export money. (Which could be as much as £2,000 a year, exporting all the solar and with charging overnight all year and exporting the spare in the evenings!).

I’ve got a few tricks to pull: insulate properly, add a couple of rads where the majority of the underfloor heating is but haven’t had the time to get on it yet. Finding it hard to get a plumber to come and just install 2 rads !

I’ll take it from there and see how it goes. Assess in a year. Then once it’s all done and dusted the Mrs will probably want to move 😂
That was my thinking as well, I could probably even get 2 discharges some days but not sure how good that would be for our batteries 😁
We have 5kw of panels and have generated 3.6 MWh in our first year, April/May were our best months with a south facing array.
we haven’t used any gas for a year but have a gas fire in the lounge that has UF heating and my wife wants to keep that as it’s pretty flexible, I did look at converting to LPG but original fire installer stopped doing LPG for this type fire and I haven’t got round to finding a replacement yet.
insulation via rendering the front of our house is one of my to do lists and I upgraded our radiators to ASHP compatible ones( took 6 Months to get a plumber to do it) hopefully all of this will help reduce our usage. The battery flexibilty and IO helps keep our average cost/kW around 7.5/8p

Reactions: Pete UK
It’s not really designed for those of us who already load shift. It’s designed to change existing behaviours so those of us with batteries are not the intended audience.
The “free electricity sessions”, on the other hand, will be perfect for us.
Just a matter of how often and at what times they’ll happen…
I wonder how the “free electricity sessions” will affect the supposed learning algorithms within PowerWall.
As I read it - we will be encouraging pulling large loads (EV charging , laundry, PW force-charging etc) when these periods are notified.

The PW will struggle to identify what it ‘usual’ behaviour and when to hold or sell energy.

Does anyone know if the learning is suspended (or even lost) if we switch from time-based to manual for a few hours?

I wonder how the “free electricity sessions” will affect the supposed learning algorithms within PowerWall.
As I read it - we will be encouraging pulling large loads (EV charging , laundry, PW force-charging etc) when these periods are notified.

The PW will struggle to identify what it ‘usual’ behaviour and when to hold or sell energy.

Does anyone know if the learning is suspended (or even lost) if we switch from time-based to manual for a few hours?
You could just temporarily add a “Super Off Peak” slot for the respective session with a cost of £0 and the PW should pull juice at that time.
I did that last year when I had one “Power Hour” (free juice) every month. Works well. :)

Reactions: thax1
Octoplus just looks like they’ve formalised and brought under one roof the various “events” they run. I signed up and can see historial points coming and going for the old Saving Sessions and other events I’ve partaken in. Nice to see they’ll be doing more of these things, going forward.