Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Newest update breaks the API, Teslamate users have the same issue.
So is this the reason that I can't get anywhere in setting up IO? I select the car in the Octopus app, select the charger (Pod Point), have entered the Tesla login credentials and it finds the car VIN OK but then comes back with a message saying that it can't connect. I've tried a dozen times since last evening with the same result every time.

Reactions: rico365
email from octopus, last week, about my export meter

Hi ******,

Thank you for your email.

So the smart team let us know that we can’t add the export on currently due to the Export MPAN not being recognised as Export. They have sent off a flow to hopefully get Ecoes updated so we can then raise the issue with the LLF (what we use to determine whether it’s exported or not.

Please check back with me next week on the status of this, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Best wishes,

Oh no! I cannot get my car registered to IO after having some issues (and stupidly removing and trying to reconnect it again).

processed-CDF5E481-5747-4653-8148-5DD4610C81F9-2D71B2E2-8672-4DDD-9588-CCAA278DE223.jpeg

Well, somehow (no idea how) I've got the Model 3 connected and test charge done, so now on IO Go. Next issue - I've had a notification from the Octopus app that a charging plan has been created but it simply does not show in the app. No amount of swipe-down refreshes, app stops and starts will get it to show. It's this stuff flaky or what? I can see me ditching it and going back to bog-standard Go. App is on Android by the way.

• Love
Reactions: rico365
Well, somehow (no idea how) I've got the Model 3 connected and test charge done, so now on IO Go. Next issue - I've had a notification from the Octopus app that a charging plan has been created but it simply does not show in the app. No amount of swipe-down refreshes, app stops and starts will get it to show. It's this stuff flaky or what? I can see me ditching it and going back to bog-standard Go. App is on Android by the way.
I have never seen that but there are times when it takes a while to set a schedule . try waking the car then changing something in the Octopus app such as the required charge %. that will prompt it to re-calculate the schedule i.e try again to see what it does in case it is just a glitch.
I am on Android and don't really have any issues.

Edit: I am assuming you can see the "Devices" Tab in the app?

Just tried, it's now working!

Good point above by @Pink Duck - I have teslamate, tessie and tesla integration in homeassistant so possible being throttled/restricted. That's possible why I was having issues with the charge not stopping when called by IO (I have my Tesla SOC limit to 100% then use IO to control the limit depending on plans).

I would agree and just let IO do it's thing...

Don't forget, schedules change as well - I had one starting at 11:30 and ending about 5am on Sunday. but they ended up changing that and I was getting cheap electric all the way to 8:30am. Had a cooked breakfast :p
My wife really likes it when that happens because then I don't make her get up a 4:30 so she can have a shower and dry her hair before the cheap rate ends. 🤣

Last edited:
Couple of quick questions, which I'm sure have been covered already, so apologies in advance. If it shows as smart charging in the ohme app do I just assume that's at the cheap rate.

If the car is charging does that mean all my usage at that time is on the cheap rate, so I can use the washing machine for example and it will be at the cheap rate?

Thank you

Stephen

Couple of quick questions, which I'm sure have been covered already, so apologies in advance. If it shows as smart charging in the ohme app do I just assume that's at the cheap rate.

If the car is charging does that mean all my usage at that time is on the cheap rate, so I can use the washing machine for example and it will be at the cheap rate?

Thank you

Stephen
if you are on intelligent octopus then ALL of your usage between 11:30pm and 5:30 am is at cheap rate. Whether or not the car is charging makes no difference at all.

If IO schedules a charge outside of those hours then that time will also be at cheap rate.

Edit. You can see the charge schedules in the IO app. I don't know anything about the Ohme app I'm afraid.

Edit. You can see the charge schedules in the IO app.
Ohme integration is outside the IO app. No schedules shown in the IO app.

If it shows as smart charging in the ohme app do I just assume that's at the cheap rate.
I suggest you read the posts I've made in the relevant Ohme thread and join the Ohme integration FB group if you're on that.

if you are on intelligent octopus then ALL of your usage between 11:30pm and 5:30 am is at cheap rate. Whether or not the car is charging makes no difference at all.

If IO schedules a charge outside of those hours then that time will also be at cheap rate.

Edit. You can see the charge schedules in the IO app. I don't know anything about the Ohme app I'm afraid.
Thank you, I've been advised to use the ohme app which replaces the octopus one so you can't see the schedules in there.
I understand that if the app schedules charges outside of core hours they should be cheap also, but is rhat all electricity usage at that time or just charging. So if the car starts charging can I go turn the washer on and get the cheap rate for all usage knowing that if the car is charging then all electric is 7.5p? Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Thank you, I've been advised to use the ohme app which replaces the octopus one so you can't see the schedules in there.
I understand that if the app schedules charges outside of core hours they should be cheap also, but is rhat all electricity usage at that time or just charging. So if the car starts charging can I go turn the washer on and get the cheap rate for all usage knowing that if the car is charging then all electric is 7.5p? Hope that makes some sort of sense.
Answered in the OP of this thread

On the subject of how Octopus charge for usage outside the 6 hour window, a contributor on another forum I look at, who has very recently moved to IO asked this very question and received this reply from Octopus:

Thank you for reaching out to us. When your smart schedule is active, only the electricity used for charging your EV during the specified times will be charged at the low rate. If your EV is plugged in but not actively charging because it is already fully charged, the electricity consumed during that time will be charged at the standard rate.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
Kind regards,
Tom

To me, this is at odds with what most of us believe.

Reactions: s_zigmond