Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
The FAQ language has been rewritten for Intelligent Octopus Go it seems to make it less clear that all supply is discounted during the scheduled half hours, at least that is how it was working as of my last itemised billed date (23rd Oct). They could potentially charge just for EV energy only like Ovo’s Anytime tariff, but I suspect they just wish to de-emphasise that aspect at the current time.

The FAQ language has been rewritten for Intelligent Octopus Go it seems to make it less clear that all supply is discounted during the scheduled half hours, at least that is how it was working as of my last itemised billed date (23rd Oct). They could potentially charge just for EV energy only like certain other providers, but I suspect they just wish to de-emphasise that aspect at the current time.
But why then are Octopus Customer Support telling people that only the EV charging is at low rate (see my previous post)?

On the subject of how Octopus charge for usage outside the 6 hour window, a contributor on another forum I look at, who has very recently moved to IO asked this very question and received this reply from Octopus:

Thank you for reaching out to us. When your smart schedule is active, only the electricity used for charging your EV during the specified times will be charged at the low rate. If your EV is plugged in but not actively charging because it is already fully charged, the electricity consumed during that time will be charged at the standard rate.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
Kind regards,
Tom

To me, this is at odds with what most of us believe.
if you go to the octopus site the IO home page litterally says:
1699953742357.png

Reactions: Pink Duck
Yes, I know the 6-hour window is cheap rate for all use, what I'm querying is how they charge for any slots allocated outside that window - for all use or only for EV charging? There seems to be some ambiguity.
the bill is issued in 30 min intervals. that 30 min interval has a single price only. so 30 min will have single price point of 7.5p.

How will you differentiate, in general, between car charge and house usage if data is taken from the smart meter which has single price point?

the bill is issued in 30 min intervals. that 30 min interval has a single price only. so 30 min will have single price point of 7.5p.

How will you differentiate, in general, between car charge and house usage if data is taken from the smart meter which has single price point?
They could use data from the car/charger to only reduce the electricity used for charging. some others do that. but as you say Octopus don't.

Reactions: Js1977 and yessuz
I don't think they like to advertise the fact that the whole house gets cheap electricity when you get a window outside the normal 6 hours in case people abuse the situation, but they don't have a mechanism to bill just EV charging separately.

Reactions: Pink Duck
I don't think they like to advertise the fact that the whole house gets cheap electricity when you get a window outside the normal 6 hours in case people abuse the situation, but they don't have a mechanism to bill just EV charging separately.
I hope so... Haven't had the bill yet since going from go to intelligent (should of had it by now) and have been relying on the slots shown on the app to sometimes top up the battery or even charge two cars at the same time.

I always get a slot until 7am and also set the battery to not discharge until then. Hopefully, I won't get an early xmas surprise/present o_O 😬

I am using IO a bit like Go, tbh. I don't need to charge my car out with the the allocated 6 hours during the night so it suits me to operate like that. Furthermore, IO isn't particularly compatible with a PV + Battery storage system, so I absolutely do not want, or need Octopus to control when my car charges. for that reason, I have disabled "smart control" from the app, and I either manually charge myself, or allow my Zappi to schedule charge.

I am using IO a bit like Go, tbh. I don't need to charge my car out with the the allocated 6 hours during the night so it suits me to operate like that. Furthermore, IO isn't particularly compatible with a PV + Battery storage system, so I absolutely do not want, or need Octopus to control when my car charges. for that reason, I have disabled "smart control" from the app, and I either manually charge myself, or allow my Zappi to schedule charge.
Which you can get away with at present but its not really within the spirit of the tariff. The whole quid pro quo of offering the better deal than Go is that they get to pick and chose the charge time. I know you can do what you are doing but if we all did that they would have to scrap the tariff.

Reactions: G4WFT and browellm
You're on the wrong tariff then

Reactions: ACarneiro and G4WFT
I've been on this for a while now but was having the problem that it was only charging to 97% or 98% do I have now turned it off and set my car to start charging at 11;30 , works great now . I used to use 2 tanks of fuel a month costing about £180 , I spent £18 on electric last month