Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to SydEV and DrSallyL, Evie wanted to install 350s - the answer was no - no way to get enough power to the site (*). Then they wanted to install 2 or more 50s. The answer was no - while it was possible to get that kind of power to the site, the centre wasn't keen to pay for upgrades. Not surprising given it's a centre they haven't even opened yet. So we got a 50 and a 22. And for now, I'm OK with that.

(*) There's easily enough power in the area, it's not far from a major interconnect, but the answer when installing 350s is usually no, especially in cities.

Hello, SydEV here, sadly the site owners would not allow the installation of the 350Kw units, or more than 1 50Kw unit, as the max permitted at the site was 90Kw, without significant infrastructure upgrades.

This Saturday, (21st) is the public open/family day, where Evie representatives will be there, as will we, we are trying to get a Nissan LEAF to be on display beside the Evie Etron, and our Model 3 and I-MiEV.

There was a comment a little while back by an EVIE engineer about the power requirements and costs. Basically it's pretty easy to find 50KW capable sites, but 350KW sites are much harder to find and expensive to install $000's vs $000,000.
Also I suspect that 50KW aligns to some standard power distribution capability, whereas 75KW jumps you up to another bracket.

It wasnt what I meant, I felt more generally that 50kw is a slightly crappy number. 75-100kw is the sweetspot as this still allows fairly efficient long range travel, wheras 50kw is a chore. I drive routinely over 1000km on 50kw only and yeah... its not great.

The Chargefox 50kw sites can all support 96kw so its a mute point (50kw + 23kw x2 usually at their rural sites) the issue is that Tritium decided to not offer anything in between 50kw and 350 kw and they essentially manufacture the chargers for the whole world.

I can see they are now bringing out a 75kw one - great, however, I doubt that the existing rural charging sites will be upgraded as they "already have a DC fast charger".

The 75 with two plugs is the perfect addition to futureproof an existing site that has only one DC charger and no backup AC charger.

the 75 kw station is modular so ideal for Australia as a lot of rural towns cant supply enough power so it could be titrated. This should have been the default QESH charger and the 50kw one should have become a 23kw or maybe 30kw one for the outback.
I know it will probably come eventually, but for now the government thinks that the entire coastline has prestine DC charging access. Do you think anyone will realize that 50kw is much slower than i.e. 80 or 120 kw? I dont think so.
I reckon 75kw will be installed 3-5 years from now.

If Australia continues with their way of trying to tax EVs heavily then 5-10 years.

Edit: also the 75kw charger can only charge one vehicle at the same time. the 2 plugs are just because some EVs plug in from the left and some from the right. they still get marketed as 2 chargers available for some reason.

^ Wait and see after they start charging next week. Suspect it attracted more just to try it out (but also a good way for Evie to increase app signup numbers) but agree it's a perfect location for those driving through Sydney via the expressway network.

Was a car waiting for 2min while I was there on Sat.

Also note if two cars pull up at the same time you need to be careful on activation - unlike Chargefox each station at the same speed only has one ID (so 1 ID for Seven Hills which has 2x350kW, but 2 for Caddens which has a 50kW and 22kW) Then the ports are numbered (1 and 3 for Chademo, 2 and 4 for CCS2 at Seven Hills). And you can only stop the charge in the Tesla/car app, not in the Evie app.

• Informative
Reactions: Anubis and Amphead
Also note if two cars pull up at the same time you need to be careful on activation - unlike Chargefox each station at the same speed only has one ID (so 1 ID for Seven Hills which has 2x350kW, but 2 for Caddens which has a 50kW and 22kW) Then the ports are numbered (1 and 3 for Chademo, 2 and 4 for CCS2 at Seven Hills). And you can only stop the charge in the Tesla/car app, not in the Evie app.

And looking at your checkin time, it was my wife who was not so careful with the activation when you were there. :)

Sincere apologies again for the confusion from her, and thanks for the chuckle from me...

• Funny
Reactions: moa999
but agree it's a perfect location for those driving through Sydney via the expressway network.

Another good spot for a Supercharger would be near the M5/M7 junction, because that would comfortably be in range of the Canberra Supercharger for an SR+ (and still within range of Heatherbrae as well, for those travelling through), as an alternate to stopping in Goulburn for trips between Canberra or the Snowfields and Sydney, the Blue Mountains or the North Coast.

Seven Hills looks to be right at the edge of what an SR+ could achieve in good conditions in the downhill direction, and unlikely in the uphill direction (unless you kept the speed well below the freeway limit).

Last edited:
Reactions: qiSun
Evie’s pricing model suggests their goal isn’t to encourage you to stay to 90% and skip every charger for the next 250km. It’s to get you to 75% and go maybe 200km.

Apparently Evie wants to build in Marulan. It’s a pain of a site unless you’re building both northbound and southbound at the BPs. Anyone headed southbound from the Caltex has to retrace their way through the entire town back to the heavy vehicle checking station.

But that aside it’s less grief than a long detour through Goulburn.

Speaking of Caltex, Pheasants Nest would be perfect. It used to be a pair of 7-Elevens which lost every bit of goodwill when they became Caltexes and may as well be abandoned. Anyway, assuming they’re kept in business, it’s perfect because it has a little-known underpass between both servos, so one set of chargers could easily serve both directions. At least initially.