Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've got to be low SOC and with a hot battery to hit the high numbers.

I suspect also many single 50kW sites are actually just running off a couple of 3-phase 32A feeds, which means they probably practically top out at 44kW.

50kW is nowhere near a high number though. Considering it is less than 1C for all Tesla models, 50kW should easily be reached with a battery hotter than freezing and SOC less than 80%.

I think you're correct about the power feed situation though.

Reactions: David Sowden
50kW is nowhere near a high number though. Considering it is less than 1C for all Tesla models, 50kW should easily be reached with a battery hotter than freezing and SOC less than 80%.

I think you're correct about the power feed situation though.
A 50kW DC charger will charge 200 km for a M3 SR+ in 34 mins, compared to 16 mins for a V2 150 kW charger, so good when having a meal while charging!

Evie gets all of this funding with a history of slow/limited roll-outs... And ChargeFox has a history of deploying sites quicker with less holdups and gets less funding.
Historically both have got funding.
Chargefox started earlier than Evie and has had massive issue at sites like Gundagai, Cooma and Shellcove where chargers have sat installed but not working for months.

I actually wonder whether Chargefox even applied in this round, given their focus (on owned chargers, as distinct from the billing network) has mostly been 350kW on freeway routes.

A 15kW deficit is pretty bad. I usually get 46-47kW on a 50, and 115-117 on a supercharger, when I first plug in (before any battery taper) so the deficit is probably just calibration noise. The AC is not running because the car is locked while I go elsewhere.

you get 46kw presumably because you have an SR+ which charges 3.5kw higher on those chargers as it only heats 1 motor with 3.5kw rather than 2.

The AWD Model 3s can only pull 43kw because of that unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
No I have a dual motor S, and I don't see how number of motors affects charging.

oh, Model S is different because you have a battery heater which consumes less energy than the Model 3.
Model 3 has no battery heater, it just puts turns all three threephase powercoils on at the same time which doesnt turn the wheel but creates a lot of heat (3.5kw per motor).

I do a lot of long distance travel on the northern bruce highway and the difference is that most of the time you pull 42kw which likes to dip down to 35-38kw due to instability. 42kw vs 50kw means you lose 20% charge speed. 35kw vs 50kw means you lose 40% charge speed. T

40kw really isnt good enough, even when doing a "full charge" from 0 to 90% where supercharging is usually less.... efficient due to the long chargetime from 75-90%. Just compare it to a 190kw charger where usually people say doing a 0 to 90% charge doesnt make much difference to i.e. an 80kw charger.

Attachments

• deepcharge.png
    deepcharge.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 44
Sounds like there are about to be a lot more Evie sites out there:

Evie Networks, owned by the St Baker Energy Innovation Fund, will receive $8.85 million, the biggest share of the funding pool.

Mr St Baker, whose energy interests also include the Vales Point coal-fired power plant in NSW, said Evie would use the funds to develop 158 charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs) in every capital city.

“We are now contracted and committed to 300 fast-charging stations across Australia within the next two years,” he said.

Other recipients of the funding include ASX-listed fuel supplier Ampol with $7.05 million, French utilities giant Engie with $6.85 million, Chargefox with $1.4 million and Electric Highways Tasmania with $400,000.
Evie received $15M from Arena, in August 2019 to install 42 sites (with 33% more subsidy per site than Chargefox!), with 2 off 350 kW chargers in 2 years, but has only installed 13 (30% of 42 ) in two years! Now Evie is receiving $8.85M more BEFORE completing the first project!!!! Something is fishy here!

Not worth the headache. The car usually puts it on long distances around 4-5min before the supercharger so it uses around 600w-1kw. Or 40cents. how much does your time cost?
I’m going off my recent experience with a country trip. My power consumption went up by about 20% and stayed there for the whole leg of the journey. It may have been because it was quite cold, but nevertheless fairly dramatic. I was more concerned about range and route planning.

I’m going off my recent experience with a country trip. My power consumption went up by about 20% and stayed there for the whole leg of the journey. It may have been because it was quite cold, but nevertheless fairly dramatic. I was more concerned about range and route planning.

that can happen but only if you drive for a few minutes and then supercharge. normally after 30-60min of driving the battery should be at operating temperature. I think the newer cars sometimes struggle as they syphon some of the battery heat away for cabin heating. But then you save energy that way.

You've got to be low SOC and with a hot battery to hit the high numbers.

I suspect also many single 50kW sites are actually just running off a couple of 3-phase 32A feeds, which means they probably practically top out at 44kW.

Power will depend site by site.
Some places will have excess that can be tapped.
In others the operator might be up for big $$s in upgrades

Even within cities power can be tough. I know of a commercial laundry a few years ago who tried multiple factory sites in the inner west of Sydbey continually being limited in what they could draw.

the problem is not the feeds, the issue is that you lose 7.5kw from the motors heating the battery.

new Evie 350kW sites at Tyndale Roadhouse on the Pacific Hwy at the Big River Way junction
Cool, that section of road from Grafton to Harwood has some redundancy.
Grafton has an NRMA, Tyndale has Evie and Hardwood has Tesla.
Grafton is a little off the main road after the bypass, but the 3 chargers are less than 55Kms apart.

If you have time, stop at the NRMA and get a free charge and have a meal to plow some money into the town. They will appreciate it.

Reactions: Hairyman
Not worth the headache. The car usually puts it on long distances around 4-5min before the supercharger so it uses around 600w-1kw. Or 40cents. how much does your time cost?
I've seen the preheating message come up more than half an hour out from a charger. Was in the winter, first leg of the trip, and didn't appear to have affected consumption, near as I could tell.

What I have noticed more is that consumption was really high after supercharging, gradually dropping back to a normal level over quite some distance, like 150km. I normally get about 140-something Wh/km consumption on the highway (SR+), but after supercharging I noticed it was over 200 briefly, dropped to 190 fairly quickly and then just very slowly decreased back to 150-ish. I might guess that the batteries are being cooled by the refrigeration (/heat pump /AC) system because they're hot after supercharging, but without an ODBC dongle I am only guessing. This effect was most evident (and above numbers) in summer but I still saw the same thing to a lesser degree in the winter. And no elevation changes were near nil and braking was not a factor (highway Mel-Adel). Will try to photo the energy graph next time.

In terms of the 50kW charger discussion I usually see low-40s at these chargers. Sometimes use the Horsham 50kW units (Chargefox) because we're stopping there for lunch anyway.