Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evie are adding a $30 preauthorisation when using the app to start a charge.

When we pre-authorise (pre-auth) a transaction through the app, we hold $30 on your card to help ensure there are no billing issues that leads to account suspension.

When you finish your charge, if it costs less than $30, the actual amount will be debited to your card, and the pre-authorised amount will be released. Depending on your bank's processing times, this may take 5-7 days to reflect on your statement.

Same as AmpCharge. Though Evie has fewer start failures.

Getting AmpCharge at Pheasants Nest to work on the 1st or 2nd attempt is optimistic. Fantastic site once it works though. There was one time it put & reversed 5 x $30 pre-auths on my card, as it took that many goes to start charging. If your bank is dodgy and doesn't clear pre-auths as quickly as ING clears mine (they cleared almost instantly), and you're near your credit limit, you may be stranded.

Same as AmpCharge. Though Evie has fewer start failures.

Getting AmpCharge at Pheasants Nest to work on the 1st or 2nd attempt is optimistic. Fantastic site once it works though. There was one time it put & reversed 5 x $30 pre-auths on my card, as it took that many goes to start charging. If your bank is dodgy and doesn't clear pre-auths as quickly as ING clears mine (they cleared almost instantly), and you're near your credit limit, you may be stranded.
ive had my bank hold transactions on a card when multiple small transactions appear within a short period. I guess they are trying to protect you from crooks but i could see that being an issue there too..

In this day and age, its truly amazing how bad the legacy MC/Visa/AmEx payment rails work, sure, a pre-auth of $30 could be put on the card, but the fact it can't be instantly removed after the charging session has completed/failed is crazy.
I wonder if it is a technical limitation or if they earn more interest if they hold the money as long as they can?

I used BP Pulse for the first time a few weeks back, and they first pre-authed my credit card $1 to verify it was real, then pre-authed $25 for the charging session. It was the first time I’ve ever used a network which did the latter. So more are joining the party. It took a few days for the pre-auth to clear.

Might be a good wayto stop all the ice petrol drive offs?

Especially with petrol being more expensive than electricity?

I think at night some servos ask for you to pay first? I dunno i would normally wave my fuel card and they would just turn the pump on

Last edited:
Evie at HomeCo. Prestons is live!
It's an ARENA site.

IMG_4518.jpeg

HomeCo. Prestons (Coming Soon) | Prestons, NSW | EV Station

Reactions: Borgy and RichardV