Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVmote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ryan - thanks for the detailed answer regarding security.

Here's one other idea for a feature - Set Charge End Time. The reason to do this is that charging warms up the battery so if you minimize the time between charging and driving you reduce the risk of having a regen limit - this happens frequently for those of us that live in cold areas. The problem is that the Tesla API does not have "set charger schedule start" functionality (but it looks like it may be coming). You also need a charge rate (in either SoC/minute or miles/minute) to calculate how long it will take you to charge - and this will vary depending on what type of charger you use at home.

I have written my own Python code to do this with a cron job running at 1am that creates an additional cron job that actually starts the charging - I set mine to end charging at 7:00 am as that is about when I leave and that is also when my electricity rate goes up.

@Ryan - thanks for the detailed answer regarding security.

Here's one other idea for a feature - Set Charge End Time. The reason to do this is that charging warms up the battery so if you minimize the time between charging and driving you reduce the risk of having a regen limit - this happens frequently for those of us that live in cold areas. The problem is that the Tesla API does not have "set charger schedule start" functionality (but it looks like it may be coming). You also need a charge rate (in either SoC/minute or miles/minute) to calculate how long it will take you to charge - and this will vary depending on what type of charger you use at home.

I have written my own Python code to do this with a cron job running at 1am that creates an additional cron job that actually starts the charging - I set mine to end charging at 7:00 am as that is about when I leave and that is also when my electricity rate goes up.

I've captured that as a feature request. We had a discussion about it a few pages back. I'll definitely add it as soon as I take care of some higher priority things! Part of the challenge is that I live in San Diego and I never experience this problem ;)

Thanks,
Ryan

Done. You shouldn't need to keep the car awake. You should be able to just issue the wakeup command before the others. You don't really have a way to check if the car is awake (because you can get the "sleeping" code from IFTTT when it calls my API), so I would issue "Wake Up", then wait 60 seconds, then issue your chosen command.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan. Thanks much for the quick turnaround. I will experiment with it. Thanks, Antonio

Ryan,

First I just wanted to thank you for hard work on this project. I definitely enjoy the trip tracking and was just about to start playing with the IFTTT integration when you made it a Pro feature. I went to sign up for Pro for a month to try it out, but I'm not familiar with Stripe for payment processing and it's yet another service that I need to track . Would you consider PayPal as an option? Since PayPal already manages subscription services for so many other online services, it's nice to keep them all in one place. Also, some grace period for Pro features might convince more people to sign up for a premium service. Had I known before today that IFTTT was going Pro I would have tried it sooner.

Thanks,
Bill

Ryan,

First I just wanted to thank you for hard work on this project. I definitely enjoy the trip tracking and was just about to start playing with the IFTTT integration when you made it a Pro feature. I went to sign up for Pro for a month to try it out, but I'm not familiar with Stripe for payment processing and it's yet another service that I need to track . Would you consider PayPal as an option? Since PayPal already manages subscription services for so many other online services, it's nice to keep them all in one place. Also, some grace period for Pro features might convince more people to sign up for a premium service. Had I known before today that IFTTT was going Pro I would have tried it sooner.

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I'm learning a lot today about how people feel about Pro :)
For what it's worth, Stripe is just a credit card processor. You don't really need to create an account the way you do with PayPal. It's more like the "Square" terminals you see at retailers.
That said: Shoot me an email to [email protected] and I'm happy to figure it out with you.

The trial is a good idea. I'll add that to the list.

Thanks!
Ryan

You also never need to create an account with PayPal either. A long time ago you did (like 10 years ago) but not since. They can be just a payment processor like any other.

I haven't looked at the PayPal merchant APIs for the last few years. The API used to be *really* bad. Stripe is really well known for having incredible developer APIs and flexibility.

Also, quick question while we're on the subject of merchant processing: Does anyone care about paying with BitCoin? That Magic Internet Money is another option I can add.

Thanks,
Ryan

I've captured that as a feature request. We had a discussion about it a few pages back. I'll definitely add it as soon as I take care of some higher priority things! Part of the challenge is that I live in San Diego and I never experience this problem
Normally I would be jealous but we have had such a mild winter here in Toronto it feels like SoCal. I even played golf on Dec 22 which is unheard of.

I haven't looked at the PayPal merchant APIs for the last few years. The API used to be *really* bad. Stripe is really well known for having incredible developer APIs and flexibility.

Also, quick question while we're on the subject of merchant processing: Does anyone care about paying with BitCoin? That Magic Internet Money is another option I can add.

Thanks,
Ryan
Stripe is awesome, I find the are much easier to work with than the PayPal APIs.

No bitcoins here :-(

My primary reason for wanting Paypal is due to how Paypal tracks re-occuring charges. I can cancel my subscription at any time through Paypal without relying on the service provider. It's not that I don't trust Ryan, it's more that it's easy to forget what all the miscellaneous re-occuring charges are for on my card.

My primary reason for wanting Paypal is due to how Paypal tracks re-occuring charges. I can cancel my subscription at any time through Paypal without relying on the service provider. It's not that I don't trust Ryan, it's more that it's easy to forget what all the miscellaneous re-occuring charges are for on my card.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I totally get it. It's easier to manage that stuff in one place. Let me look at PayPal as another payment method. It might end up being be really easy.

Do free accounts still store all trips but only display the last 10, or will it only store 10 trips and overwrite older entries? In other words, if I upgrade to Pro at a later time, will I get my past trips back?

For now, EVmote stores all of trip data for free accounts. I didn't want the transition to a paid service to be super disruptive to everyone who has been tracking their car for the last few months. Depending on how things go, I may change this for new signups in the future. I'll probably never change it for users who are already signed up.

Thanks,
Ryan

For now, EVmote stores all of trip data for free accounts. I didn't want the transition to a paid service to be super disruptive to everyone who has been tracking their car for the last few months. Depending on how things go, I may change this for new signups in the future. I'll probably never change it for users who are already signed up.

For whatever my opinion is worth (about as much as the paper it's printed on), I'd recommend storing it for everyone but not advertising that fact. Storage is cheap, after all, and people might get upset at losing data even if you're totally clear about it. It also saves you from data loss due to mistakes in your subscription system. But if you come out and say "get your data back if you pay" then some people might feel like you're holding the data hostage, which is why I advise not advertising it.

Yah - These are good thoughts. It's kind of a rock and a hard place, though. If I say that Free only stores 10 trips, then people upgrade and find out I've been storing all of their data, they might be upset. It's not about storage cost, as you pointed out. It's incredibly cheap to store all of the GPS data for a few hundred cars. It really comes down to what the best customer experience is. What do you think? If you were a free user for a month, then upgraded, would you want to see all of your trips? Would you expect that to be disclosed, etc?

Would love ya'll's thoughts.

Just read an article in todays Wall Street Journal where various auto insurance companies are trying hard to get access to telemetry data from their insured customers.... in one sense they are trying to find high risk drivers.... looking for those who aggressively accelerate and slow down (jam on the brakes with deceleration of > 7 MPH per second). I would hope that you do not make the trip data available to anyone other than the original subscriber. I suspect you need to publish a policy statement regarding the data captured.