Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evolution of the rear jump seats - Tesla goes cheap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the latest photos in the rear jump seat thread, it looks like Tesla went cheap on the rear jump seats (all cloth now). Note: poster said it was from an EU spec car. I don't know if this is a confirmed permanent change yet, or some sort of now option, but it make me curious about all the changes they've make to the jump seats over the last year. I've compiled a list of photos I've found to capture the evolution of the rear jump seats.

EARLY VERSION:

Here, I also highlight the all-chrome rear sill and the "adjustable rear head rests". (I had no idea early versions of the car had adjustable head rests until now)

v1_seats_leather01_edited.jpg

VERSION 2:

In the following photo's I've highlighted some of the design changes which includes how the rear jump seats have a cool looking "roll-bar" type handles, as well as adding a cup holder. I also highlight some Model S changes, which no longer have adjustable rear head seats, and how the sill is now partially chrome.

v2_seats_leather02_edited.jpg

v2_seats_leather03_edited.jpg

The following photo the rear jump seats is the same, but you can notice that the bumper sill is no longer chrome. Just something to point out (I have the non-chrome version in my P85, so that change was pre 58xx)

v2Untitled-picture_edited.jpg

VERSION 3:

So from the latest photos in the rear jump seat thread, the rear jump seats now look all-cloth. This looks really cheap. I applaud Tesla for it's efforts to increase margins to make this company very successful (well, sort of, I kind of disagree with the ginormous increase in an apples to apples loaded P85 vs end of 2012 P85, but that topic's for another thread), but to go THIS CHEAP on the rear jump seat? C'mon Tesla, but is a ~$100k car. Now you're making it look like a $30k car when you make the jump seats look like this.

I really hope this photo was a fluke (old prototype? the poster said its from an EU spec car...) and not a permanent change... Do any new cars in US have this?

The other question I have is whether or not this all-cloth version always existed and this was just the first photo found of it. E.g. for cars that choose textile seats + rear jump seat option, were the rear jump seats 'textile' too or were they leather? If so, then this last photo isn't a new change but rather just the first photos we've seen of them (I would guess that most people get leather so there may not be many of these all-cloth versions installed). I can't really tell from that photo of the interior seats are textile or cloth. Anywho, if this is not the case and the rear jump seats are permanently cloth for everyone everywhere, man they just got UGLY. Why the change Tesla?

v3_seats_cheapy.jpg

Here, I also highlight the all-chrome rear sill and the "adjustable rear head rests". (I had no idea early versions of the car had adjustable head rests until now)

AFAIK, the head rests were changed to get the five star rating (quickly).

but you can notice that the bumper sill is no longer chrome. Just something to point out (I have the non-chrome version in my P85, so that change was pre 58xx)

Mine has the chrome (and it's just chromed plastic). The problem with the chrome is that it shows water-spots and fingerprints. I'm thinking the black plastic is actually an improvement.

Don't have the jump seats so no comment on them.

Why would changing the headrests make a difference?

My understanding is that that movable headrests have to be certified in every possible position, that means the designers have to design them to work no matter how the passenger sets them. This takes a lot longer to design than just a fixed position headrest.

I have a non-P 85 delivered in March 2013 that has textile interior and the jump seats are the version 2 shown in the pictures with the leather trim and roll-bar style handles.

I definitely like the look and feel of the version 2 seats versus the pictures of the version 3.

It's not leather, it's vinyl. Aka "pleather". And it gets hot in the sun. REALLY HOT.

I can see how on looks alone someone could think it's a downgrade, but I think Tesla made the right move going to all cloth for the rear jump seats to improve rear seat occupant comfort.

I agree that they look cheaper, but maybe Tesla did some research. They look cheaper, but perhaps those using the seats liked them better. I don't know...I've heard my daughter and some of her friends complain about the hot leather seats before they jump into their booster seats. Perhaps the textile jump seats "breathe" a little better.

Just put some Gtechniq I1 on the seats and let your kids have some fun.

As for the bumper, I'm glad it's not entirely chrome, but I do like my chrome segments.

It's not leather, it's vinyl. Aka "pleather". And it gets hot in the sun. REALLY HOT.

I can see how on looks alone someone could think it's a downgrade, but I think Tesla made the right move going to all cloth for the rear jump seats to improve rear seat occupant comfort.

Ok. Great point. I stand corrected. I would also agree with the change if it alleviates said issue with hot seats burning the kids. But I miss the look of the roll bar handles b

I also was very very disappointed when I saw that pic of the cloth seats. Looks cheaper than cheap, and I even wrote to Tesla demanding that I get the US-type seats with the pleather sides.
But I've heard arguments that the rollbar-type headrest probably isn't very safe, and that the pleather gets scorching hot.
I also saw a different pic of the cloth seats (see below), and adjusted the contrast on the original picture above, and they're not that horrible to me anymore.

Jump seats cloth 2.jpg

Jump seats cloth res.jpg