Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs that can charge at a higher rate than Tesla’s can

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
There are 20 Supercharger spaces but only 10 Electrify America spaces.

The Electrify America area is now open and available for use. All 10 spaces support up to 150 kW CCS but two of those support up to 350 kW CCS. One space supports CHAdeMO up to 50 kW (100 kW future).
OT but which cars currently on the roads can take 150kW and 350kW?

Audi E-Tron takes the 150, or at least up to 135kW. And supposedly the Porsche Taycan will take the 350kW. There were reports about it actively testing charging on 350kW Ionity chargers at the high rate about a month ago.

Not sure exactly when sales/deliveries for those will make them count as "on the road" but if they aren't yet, it's at least pretty imminent.

OT but which cars currently on the roads can take 150kW and 350kW?
Of the non-Tesla cars currently available in California, the Hyundai/Kia cars can take the most power. That would be the Kia Soul EV (CHAdeMO) and the Hyundai Ioniq EV (CCS). I believe they can both take up to 200 amps (~76kW). The Bolt EV can take 150 amps (~57kW), if I'm not mistaken. The iPace is now on the road in USA, but I don't know its actual DCFC capability. Word was that they had temporarily limited the ones in Europe, but an update would be forthcoming to unlock faster charging. I have not followed the US delivered iPace cars to know what they can currently do.

The "150kw" stations are up to 500VDC and up to 300A. "350kW" stations are up to 1000VDC and 350A.

The I-PACE can draw about 84 kW at 200A as seen in cars in Europe and now the US. A later update might improve that.

The 350 kW dispensers at the new Livermore site are rated for 500A and it’s possible they may be able to charge at that current when charging below 500V.