Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ex-demo purchase woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all sounds like incompetence to me. I personally would walk away from this particular car and look for a better offer. I doubt trading standards will do anything. There’ll be an errors and omissions get out somewhere and they’ve offered your deposit back.

Reactions: Olibol
How about this instead

You would certainly be better placed buying from someone with a solid reputation like RSymons.

The fact you can't see the cars condition, oh and then there is this :oops:

Cosmetic Condition
Cosmetic wear and tear is typical of a used car and does not affect the functionality of the car. Your car will exhibit cosmetic wear and tear that includes, but is not limited to, the following:

Painted Panels

Scratches up to 2.5 cm
Dents up to 1 cm
Stone chips
Unpainted Panels or Exterior Trim

Scratches up to 7.5 cm
Glass

Stone chips (passes local roadworthiness inspection guidelines)
Scratches
Wheels

Rash up to 1 cm
Interior

Signs of usage on upholstery and interior panels such as markings, discolouration, small tears or stains up to 2.5 cm
Signs of usage on entry and exit points

Rubber Seals and Trim

Damage of rubber not affecting function

thanks for the suggestions, But wouldn't buying from third party means not having any warranty..just worried about the repair costs..will look through the forum tonight to understand pros and cons of buying from third party.
Used from a private seller would still give the balance of the remaining warranty. Used from a business or garage would provide the balance, and also need to provide some sort of used car warranty but that would be through them, not Tesla.

I sold my S75D via Richard Symons, and he mostly acts as an intermediary between seller and buyer, so the ownership of the car never transfers to him. The manufacturers warranty stays with the car, as does free Supercharging, although only for cars old enough.

Many owners use Richard and he would know what the car had had done warranty wise, and be able to pass any queries on the car you might have to the current i.e. selling owner.

I’d rather buy used from him than Tesla, he knows what he’s talking about, most Tesla staff are well meaning but badly informed.

Resurrecting an old threat, but just sharing similar experience/grievances.

Sadly I had to reject my ex-demo on Thursday.

It had tons of paint and glass chips, scratches, scuffs on the inside, water where there shouldn't be, etc. - too much to make the discount worth it. Also, because it's a demo it seems you lose any ability to flag any other issues up because you just get told that it's within expectations for a demo. I think it would have saved everyone time if they photographs of the actual car online, instead of the generic stock photos.

It also seems like Tesla is having a bit of a "having your cake and eating it too" thing going on. Specifically, all used vehicles now come with EAP as standard, along with the extra year of warranty, but when you're buying them there's a notice of "Mechanical and Cosmetic Standards" as mentioned above. When you buy a demo it's listed under "New" so you don't get the EAP or extended warranty, but there's no mention of the "Mechanic and Cosmetic Standards" notice but it's stressed in person. So in essence you have a bit of a Schrödinger's Tesla situation - it is both "New" and therefore doesn't get EAP or extra year of warranty and "Used" and therefore you must accept reduced standards (even if they're things you wouldn't accept on a new vehicle).

Since the next batch of cars isn't till Aug/Sept I'm considering either buying from RSymons or similar experienced dealership or just waiting till Berlin opens up and buying new. Just because if this was the state of the car after just over 2000 miles, what will it look like after 20? Hopefully Berlin will improve quality a bit or I just need to lower my expectations (though my current car at less than half the cost had significantly better build quality).

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Resurrecting an old threat, but just sharing similar experience/grievances.

Sadly I had to reject my ex-demo on Thursday.

It had tons of paint and glass chips, scratches, scuffs on the inside, water where there shouldn't be, etc. - too much to make the discount worth it. Also, because it's a demo it seems you lose any ability to flag any other issues up because you just get told that it's within expectations for a demo. I think it would have saved everyone time if they photographs of the actual car online, instead of the generic stock photos.

It also seems like Tesla is having a bit of a "having your cake and eating it too" thing going on. Specifically, all used vehicles now come with EAP as standard, along with the extra year of warranty, but when you're buying them there's a notice of "Mechanical and Cosmetic Standards" as mentioned above. When you buy a demo it's listed under "New" so you don't get the EAP or extended warranty, but there's no mention of the "Mechanic and Cosmetic Standards" notice but it's stressed in person. So in essence you have a bit of a Schrödinger's Tesla situation - it is both "New" and therefore doesn't get EAP or extra year of warranty and "Used" and therefore you must accept reduced standards (even if they're things you wouldn't accept on a new vehicle).

Since the next batch of cars isn't till Aug/Sept I'm considering either buying from RSymons or similar experienced dealership or just waiting till Berlin opens up and buying new. Just because if this was the state of the car after just over 2000 miles, what will it look like after 20? Hopefully Berlin will improve quality a bit or I just need to lower my expectations (though my current car at less than half the cost had significantly better build quality).
Quite right. You shouldn't be expected to put up with that. An ex demo should be in new condition and if sold as 'new' then should be subject to all the benefits of any other new car - as in rectification of all faults.

My M3 has 15k on it and I don't think you would be disappointed in it. Couple of stone chips but that's all. It's not actually for sale but my point is a one owner well loved low mileage second hand car probably beats an ex demo from Tesla every day of the week. Given the lack of predelivery inspections the first owner will have done you the favour of sorting out any issues. . Yes you could go to Symons I'm sure he is great but does it matter where you get it from? Even a private sale if you really want to save money, any nearly new one you buy will have 3+ years and 40K+ miles left on the warrantee so as long as its not been crashed, which you should be able to spot a mile away because the new paint work will be much better than the original :), does not seem like there is too much risk. Though the second hand values do seem to be really really high. The only thing that loses value is FSD which seems to lose pretty much all its value straight away. So second hand is a great choice for someone who really wants that feature

Reactions: MrBadger
Quite right. You shouldn't be expected to put up with that. An ex demo should be in new condition and if sold as 'new' then should be subject to all the benefits of any other new car - as in rectification of all faults.

Genuinely appreciate you saying this. All the reps made it seem like I was being crazy. Like there's a difference between some minor scuffs and marks, but literally every surface had swirls, scratches, or chips.
So second hand is a great choice for someone who really wants that feature

Absolutely! I've never really bought second hand, I've usually gone through dealer approved schemes and all that but I think with electric cars having so fewer moving parts that it's probably a bit safer to go private. I'm scouring auto trader while waiting for my deposit to return.

Absolutely! I've never really bought second hand, I've usually gone through dealer approved schemes and all that but I think with electric cars having so fewer moving parts that it's probably a bit safer to go private. I'm scouring auto trader while waiting for my deposit to return.
I'm the opposite. Always bought second-hand until now. but not much option but to go new in November 19.
A lot of the early ones were bought by real enthusiasts who treat them better than their own children. And there are some around with such low mileage that there has not been much opportunity for thrashing. Not sure you would be able to say the same about a demonstrator!
If you buy an LR or P ordered before July 19 you might be able to get free lifetime premium connectivity as well.

A demo would almost certainly have had a large number of pedal-to-the-metal cycles: after all it's what people like to see in a family car. After the buzz wears off a private owner won't want to thrash the battery and drivetrain like that too much.